Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8000 DISABLE Power-Save Mode? RUINING my Tivo Recordings!

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by ddrultramix, Jan 1, 2006.

1. ddrultramix

ddrultramix New Member

Dec 23, 2005

Advertisements

I am with charter communications and have digital cable. I have a scientific explorer 8000 (which is a charter cable box and dvr in one) i also have Tivo. The Explorer 8000 has an power-save mode which goes into effect from about 1-6am! EVERY SINGLE DAY! It's incredibly annoying and the explorer help info said was that the ONLY way I could disable the power save mode was by contacting my cable provider. The lady on the phone was like "ive never even heard of a power save mode. I am so sorry but I guess that's when your cable box is updated. We have no control over that". The problem? It's RUINING all of my recordings during that time! 2 movies recorded at that time and ALL of them were just a pure black screen OBVIOUSLY because the dumb power save mode went on. Another thing is that an annoying message pops up before the box goes into power-save mode and it stays up there for 5 minutes until the cable shuts down. That screen is being RECORDED with my Movies! Ahhhh! What should I do (OTHER THAN CHANGING MY SCHEDULE TO RECORD. Why? Because we are paying customers and shouldnt have to deal with this!).

2. ddrultramix

ddrultramix New Member

Dec 23, 2005
    I couldnt find an answer in those forums. Ah this is so rude of Charter to do this! I am paying for 24/7 not 18/7!!!! Does anyone else have this problem? Auto-shut off with your cable box?!

3. tommy275

tommy275 New Member

Jun 8, 2003
    i too have this problem. cablevision in NJ. i was able to work-around the problem by changing the settings on the SA DVR to "power on with numeric" option. basically, ostensibly, when a channel button is hit (which is essentially what TiVo does when it goes to a record a program, as it changed the channel to the channel it wants to record), the DVR pops back to life. no worries.

however, i just started noticing that the SA DVR is turning off within even 45 minutes of that channel change if it's after 1 am. So, if i'm recording Jimmy Kimmel at 12.35, i don't plan on seeing much of it after 1.15.

i had some heated discussions with cablevision and SA (back when i first got the box), and Cablevision pleaded ignorance. i can't blame them, because there's no doubt in my mind the people that i got on the phone were completely ignorant, and borderline stupid.

4. tommy275

tommy275 New Member

Jun 8, 2003

Advertisements

i spoke with Cablevision again.

The only way to get the cable companies to push SA to make this an option is to call them call them call them. SA DVR users who are also TiVo users are a very small subset of most cable companies' client base, so the more calls the better.

5. miller890

miller890 Member

Feb 15, 2002
    Maybe... if you change the channel just before your box typically goes to sleep it would think you are watching it and would not put it to sleep on you. If could try setting up a manual record for 5-minutes daily at just before 1AM, keep one copy, keep until ... space needed.
    TWC added the power-on option of 'power & number entry' which solved a similar problem I was having when my boxed got turned off by the cable company.

6. gastrof

gastrof Hubcaps r in fashion

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.
    Tommy says that the machine is still turning itself off after 45 minutes of watching/recording a 12:35 show.

Since the TiVo is already recording at that point, it can't send another channel change to the cable box.

Now, for people whose cable box is also a DVR (and I still don't quite get the idea of trying to use a TiVo with such a device, since you already have a recorder) this isn't as valid a method, but for those who DON'T have a cablebox/DVR combo...

Call the cable company again and ask "Have you ever heard of a VCR?"

Explain to them that you're paying for cable service 24/7, and if they're going to deny you use of the box for six hours a night, you're going to demand a refund for one quarter your cable bill each month, and if you don't get it they can

1) see you in court

2) be reported to the BBB

3) be reported to the State's attorney general's office (or similar authority in your state)

4) be charged with fraud

5) any combination of two or more of the above

Let's face it...not everyone has a TiVo, but many people have a VCR, and if they try to use the VCR to record overnight, this thing with the box denies them use of the cable feed. That's fraud, and it could be argued that it's an effort on the part of the cable company to force customers to give up their free use of a device they already have, in favor of something they'll have to pay the cable company for on a monthly basis.

While the authorities might not grasp this where a TiVo is concerned, substituting the term "VCR" would likely cast the whole situation in a different light. Or you could (for honesty's sake) use the term "a home recorder, like a VCR", and leave it at that.

7. tommy275

tommy275 New Member

Jun 8, 2003
    1. it's cheap.
    2. it has 2 tuners
    3. it can record in hi-def.

i do love my tivo, but i think we all know its shortcomings. :)

i like your approach of using the term "VCR". it has been pretty clear in my dealings with Cablevision that the second they hear "tivo" they immediately want to blame Tivo, instead of themselves. stupid comments come out of their "customer service" people like "well, we don't support Tivo, you'll have to call them." :rolleyes:

8. tommy275

tommy275 New Member

Jun 8, 2003
    another way of possibly bringing about a change is to go to the SA website and submit a complaint.

the website is: http://www.scientificatlanta.com/explorerclub/default.asp
    you have to sign up for some reason, but i think they just require an email address.
    go to the FAQ page and scroll to the bottom to click on "submit your question here."

apparently, they don't actually *answer* your question, but it is at the very least a way to contact SA, who doesn't seem to have a very obvious "contact us" link.