Scientific Atlanta CableCard nightmare on Atlantic Broadband (Miami)

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by ChromeAce, Sep 7, 2007.

1. ChromeAce

ChromeAce Early Adopter

Sep 20, 2002
    Chesterfield...
    This company is easily the worst I have ever encountered. I am going to spend all my free time making them comply with FCC regulations or have the company's license to provide service revoked.

I flew to Miami specifically to set up my condo with HD TiVos (the cheaper ones) that use CableCards. I needed 6 total (2 for each unit). I have been here 2 weeks and had a technician here 3 times. They have only provided me with 1 card. All other cards tried do not work. The cards are from Scientific Atlanta (Cisco). Scientific Atlanta will not help me. Atlantic Broadband says to me they have no more cards and they don't support TiVo, both illegal statements.

I called TiVo and a low-level CSR didn't seem to care and didn't want to engage the process whereby they complain to the FCC. A higher level CSR did seem to care and was immediately willing to begin the process of putting pressure on Atlantic Broadband to comply with the law. I am waiting to hear back.

2. slimoli

slimoli New Member

Jul 29, 2005
    Welcome to the club ! I thought I was the only S3 user in miami with ABB. You are absolutely right: ABB sucks big time. I have my S3 for one year now but before that I also had a cablecard on my TV. All in, I had more than 20 cablecards replaced. When you find one that works, after 5 or 6 tech visits and after hours waiting for a tech guy on the line, it doesn't last more than few weeks. From time to time I get a " cablecard firmware upgrade" that never ends and locks the S3. When this happens, CC must be replaced again and new ordeal with ABB and their terrible service.

The company is so bad that they don't even know if the cablecard is authorized or not. Currently I have 1 CC on a TV and 2 on the S3. Everything is working fine but only one of the CC (in the S3) is actually authorized. I get all premiuns and HD I pay for but anyday now I can see a msg on the screen blocking my access.

Just to make the picture worse, their HD DVR has an old software version (I have one) that makes "season passes' a real nightmare.

My hope is that ABB get acquired by Comcast or simply disappear. I hate small cable companies !

One more thing : Forget about new HD channels. They don't have more bandwidth and never will.

I'm just waiting for Directv to improve picture quality and add the new HD channels and bye bye ABB!

3. slimoli

slimoli New Member

Jul 29, 2005
    I forgot to mention; They also told me that they don't support Tivo but since I also have a TV with CC I ask them for a new CC to my TV. For some strange reason I can swap CCs between my TV and the S3 although they are never "authorized". Their central computer has no control on CCs anymore, that's my guess.

4. ChromeAce

ChromeAce Early Adopter

Sep 20, 2002
    Chesterfield...
    Slimoli, if you switch to DirecTV the first thing you will say bye-bye to is TiVo. There are no DirecTV TiVo units that support the new MPEG-4 system, and never will be. There are also no Series3 DirecTV TiVo DVRs and never will be.

I would NEVER buy real estate again in an Atlantic Broadband area. Unfortunately they cover the entire Miami/Dade county on the beaches.

5. slimoli

slimoli New Member

Jul 29, 2005
    You are right, Chrome. I love Tivo but I also love HD . ABB has only few HD channels and I don't think it will change anytime soon. The new channel line-up of Directv , coming soon, will basically eliminate SD channels. All channels that I actually watch will be in HD.

The Directv DVR sucks, like any other DVR if compared to Tivo but , when you start to replace cablecards almost every month and, even worse, having to deal with ABB tech people, you give up.

BTW, I plan to keep my S3 with OTA only. I have perfect reception with an indoor antenna and most of my season passes are from the big networks.

Welcome to Miami ! ABB is a good example of what you can expect here.