Schitt's Creek on Pop (formerly TV Guide Channel)

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Bob Coxner, Feb 22, 2015.

1. Bob Coxner

Bob Coxner Active Member

Dec 1, 2004

Advertisements

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/review/schitts-creek-tv-review-772042

It's not classic tv but there's enough to keep me going after the first two episodes. It helps if you're a fan of Eugene Levy and Catherine O'Hara. They've been working together since 1976 (SCTV) and it shows in the ease of their on-screen relationship.

6.4 on IMDB and I think that's a fair rating. C+ or maybe B- and the setup could lead to an even better show.

Channel 273 on DirecTV. Sadly, Pop is in SD.

2. midas

midas I heard that

Jun 1, 2000
    Montgomery,...
    I've been watching. I'd say mildly amusing rather than laugh out loud funny. But I'm a fan of O'hara, Levy and Elliot. I just don't really understand the concept of series. Yea, it's your typical fish out of water show, but how do you buy a city? What exactly do they own?

3. Hoffer

Hoffer Eat Lightning ----- Poo Thunder TCF Club

Jun 1, 2001
    Twin Cities, MN
    I have watched the first 3 episodes. Not a great show, but I will probably keep watching for a while to see what happens.

4. Bob Coxner

Bob Coxner Active Member

Dec 1, 2004
    Towns are sold on eBay fairly often. Generally, you buy the land and the buildings.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/09/towns-for-sale_n_1761217.html

Thinking about it a bit more, it's really a modern take on the late 1960's sitcom Green Acres. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_Acres

5. series5orpremier

series5orpremier Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2013

Advertisements

More like a class-inverted Beverly Hillbillies complete with a Jethro and Ellie. The mayor is the inverted version of Mr. Drysdale. In Green Acres there was no change in financial situation and the patriarch actually wanted to be there. I'd say it's a mash-up of those two shows.

6. mt1

mt1 Mostly lurking now

Dec 13, 2002
    CA
    I like it. It got a few out loud laughs from me.

7. Howie

Howie Out of Pocket TCF Club

May 3, 2004
    San Antonio
    How do you pronounce that first word?

8. midas

midas I heard that

Jun 1, 2000
    Montgomery,...
    Beats the schitt out of me.

9. spartanstew

spartanstew Thanks 4 the Update

Feb 23, 2002
    Wylie, Texas
    Watched the first three episodes today and enjoyed them.

Unfortunately, it's only in SD on D* which makes it harder to watch, but it's got a great cast.

10. Bob Coxner

Bob Coxner Active Member

Dec 1, 2004
    I was thinking that the Eva Gabor character matches up with the Catherine O'Hara character. Rich women from sophisticated cities that are forced to live in Podunk. I do agree that it's really a mashup of TBH and GA. I hadn't thought of the Jethro and Ellie Mae connection but that does make sense.

"It's OK, it's his sister"

11. Hoffer

Hoffer Eat Lightning ----- Poo Thunder TCF Club

Jun 1, 2001
    Twin Cities, MN
    I noticed immediately that something was up. The picture is still 16:9, but it just didn't look HD. I guess in my mind, if a channel is not HD, then it is 4:3. Can't believe in 2015, I'm just starting to watch an SD show. :)

12. Bob Coxner

Bob Coxner Active Member

Dec 1, 2004
    The episodes are delayed but they are in HD On Demand on DirecTV.

13. series5orpremier

series5orpremier Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2013
  14. Bob Coxner

Bob Coxner Active Member

Dec 1, 2004
    For me it continues to be very funny. I'm happy that it's getting renewed.

15. goMO

goMO Member

Dec 28, 2004
    I think the son David steals the show. sorta looks like a cross between Adam Lambert and Adam Levine, and although his personality type has been done over and over, he pulls it off well and makes me laugh. He is Eugene Levy's son (has the eyebrows)!

16. pjenkins

pjenkins God bless Texas :)

Mar 8, 1999
    Plano, TX, USA
    The wife and I just started watching this recently. Quirky, reminds of "Best In Show" which makes some sense given the actors I guess. I tire quickly of Chris Elliott and hope they continue to use him sparingly.

17. Bob Coxner

Bob Coxner Active Member

Dec 1, 2004
    I agree on Chris Elliott and his screen time has been reduced a lot in recent episodes.

18. pjenkins

pjenkins God bless Texas :)

Mar 8, 1999
    Plano, TX, USA
    This show is one of our favorites for some reason. Anyone else still tuning in? We just like the offbeat humor and for some reason anytime Eugene Levy is on the screen we just laugh :)

19. scooterboy

scooterboy Coney Island Small

Mar 27, 2001
    East...
    I thought it was ok, but I dropped it because I have too many other things saved up and this just never bubbled back to the top.

20. Bob Coxner

Bob Coxner Active Member

Dec 1, 2004
    I thought the first season was really good. It's a CBC production and they've renewed it. The second season will be 13 episodes and filming began this month.