Scheduled call / retry interval, switching off router.

Discussion in 'TiVo Series 1 - UK' started by boringgit, Oct 15, 2007.

1. boringgit

boringgit New Member

Jan 20, 2007
    OK, here it is.

I am trying hard to be a greenie tree hugger and switch off as much as I can as often as I can. It pains me greatly that I have to leave the Tivo on constantly along with the Virgin cable box, but y'know they are doing stuff during the day so I can live with this....

I have the special plug which switches off the monitor and speakers etc when the PC is not on but I would like to switch off the router and (don't tell Virgin), perhaps even the cable modem unless I am actually using the PC. (My tivo has a cachecard BTW)

I know already that Tivo is pretty tolerant of missing a few days calls, trouble is its retries are pretty infrequent - if I could change them to being hourly, then I could switch off the router during the day, then when I come in at night it would be able to make its call...

Does that make any sense? can it be done??

2. RichardJH

RichardJH New Member

Oct 7, 2002
    Hanworth....
    Not sure but I think if you turn off the VM router/modem and then back on later on reboot you may find your IP address has changed,

3. Raisltin Majere

Raisltin Majere The 96 YNWA

Mar 12, 2004
    Devon
  4. boringgit

boringgit New Member

Jan 20, 2007
    That sounds like a winner - Thanks!

As for the VM thing - yeah you are right ( a site I am a moderator at is www.by-users.co.uk ;) ), it is not recommended and pretty frowned upon to unplug the CM, I will give it a try but might just power down the router if it proves that the CM takes too long to reconnect to the network.