Schedule time for TIVO update

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by weetoots, Jan 7, 2010.

1. Jan 7, 2010 #1 of 10
    weetoots

weetoots New Member

Aug 8, 2003
    Oahu, Hawaii

Advertisements

My TIVO Series 2 picks a bad time to download its data.
    I live in Hawaii, so I am 5-6 hrs behind EST and my TIVO does it's download around 10:00PM.
    Is there any way to change the time, to one that is more convenient, like after midnight?

2. Jan 7, 2010 #2 of 10
    SpiritualPoet

SpiritualPoet Member

Jan 13, 2007
    Texas
    No. The only thing you can do is to do a manual update anytime you wish.

3. Jan 7, 2010 #3 of 10
    Turtleboy

Turtleboy Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Can I ask, why does it matter? I have no idea when my TiVo downloads data. I don't even notice it.

4. Jan 7, 2010 #4 of 10
    LifeIsABeach

LifeIsABeach Active Member

Feb 28, 2001
    Drexel Hill, PA
    I assume you are using a phone line and worried about missing important calls. TiVo does not call in the same time each day. IIRC it calls in every 26-28 hours so the call times would change each time it made its calls. As SP said you can force a daily call at 10:00 each night and it will not call during the day.

5. Jan 7, 2010 #5 of 10
    CrispyCritter

CrispyCritter Purple Ribbon Wearer

Feb 28, 2001
    North...

Advertisements

Are you talking about the program info download (which the others have covered, and shouldn't be a problem), or are you talking about the "Teleworld" download of video material?

If the latter, I don't know a good way around it, however, the TiVo never downloads anything of critical importance during these shows. TiVo occasionally rents 30 minutes of TV time on non-prime channels like Discovery in order to be able to record and download things like the videos to the ads you occasionally see. There's no way for you to change the time that TiVo buys. But, you just won't have those videos if you don't let the TiVo record them - I'm sure that's a great loss;).

6. Jan 8, 2010 #6 of 10
    weetoots

weetoots New Member

Aug 8, 2003
    Oahu, Hawaii
    I am not using a phone line. I use a direct connection to the internet.

My TIVO changes to ch 1333 and the record light comes on. I can't chage the channel or I would lose the download. I don't program it to go to 1333.
    Why does it matter? It happens when I am watching a show and I prefer it waited until I'm done.
    <LifeIsABeach> Re-read my original post, please.

Any other thoughts?

7. Jan 8, 2010 #7 of 10
    Turtleboy

Mar 24, 2001
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Yes. You misunderstand what's going on. TiVo downloads over the internet. Not by changing channels.

8. Jan 8, 2010 #8 of 10
    CrispyCritter

CrispyCritter Purple Ribbon Wearer

Feb 28, 2001
    North...
    Re-read my original response, please. You are not correctly understanding what is happening. You can lose this video (Teleworld) download with basically no adverse consequences. It is not downloading TV schedule information. However, you can not reschedule this video download either; you just have to work around it and change back to the show you want to watch.

9. Jan 8, 2010 #9 of 10
    Turtleboy

Mar 24, 2001
    Ft. Lauderdale
    I didn't even realize that there was still a teleworld recording.

10. dylanemcgregor

dylanemcgregor Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2003
    Corner of...
    Tivo won't change the channel if you are already recording something. So if you either make sure you record everything you watch, or set-up a daily recording during this time then TiVo won't even ask you to switch channels. All this means is that you will not record the video that TiVo uses in its "Yellow Star" ads. You'll still see the ad, just no video to go along with it.

One other option that I think works is if you deselect whatever channel TiVo is recording its teleworld programming on these days from the channels you receive list.