Schedule conflicts because of odd-minute ending times...

Discussion in 'Season Pass Alerts' started by InspectorGadget, Nov 26, 2007.

1. InspectorGadget

InspectorGadget TiVo Changed My Life

Feb 22, 2002
    San Jose, CA

Advertisements

Has anyone noticed shows that end on xx:02 conflict with a show on another channel starting at xx:00 or xx:01? ABC and NBC seem to be in a schedule war to prevent people from switching or something stupid like that.

Gray's Anatomy Thursday ABC 9:00 PM - 10:02 PM
    ER Thursday NBC 10:01 PM - 11:00 PM

One time they moved ER to start at 10:02 PM, and on that week ABC shoved in some more ads to make Gray's Anatomy end at 10:04 PM.

My 2-tuner TiVo is down and I need to record all these shows on the single-tuner unit. The TiVo software won't let you START a show one minute later, only end it later. And it won't let you END a show one minute earlier.

AAARGGGGHH!

I did a quick search and didn't see any discussion about this. Has it been discussed? Hasn't anyone else noticed this?

2. CrashHD

CrashHD I am the me.

Nov 10, 2006
    MO, USA
    I've noticed that too. I haven't had any conflicts yet that resulted in a missed recording, though. It's kind of odd, that the networks complain dvrs hurt their ad viewership, and yet here their jockeying for position to get their show recorded while blocking another network's show...go figure.

3. InspectorGadget

Feb 22, 2002
    San Jose, CA
    I guess I gotta get my SAT-T60 working again!

4. dansee

dansee Sayonara

Oct 23, 2003
    This is beginning to drive me insane... I have conflicts three nights a week, and have to choose what gets recorded in HD, and what does not, all because of those idiotic 1-2 minute overruns.

It's infuriating.

5. phox_mulder

phox_mulder I get paid 2watch TV

Feb 23, 2006
    Salt Lake...

Advertisements

3 HD DVR's each with 2 tuners really helps in these situations.

I can set aside 1 tuner for each OTA Networks primetime and still have one or two left for the occasional Cable Network.

phox

6. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    sorry, it's been discussed for *years*. (I finally have 2 2-tuner Tivos and mostly don't have to deal with the problem.)

I call it "the er problem" because that's what it started with, or at least what I first noticed it with. Back then, 'er' got good ratings and started at 9:59, and ran into CSI.

You can turn on clipping, so your shows will allow cut off of up to 5 minutes at the beginning or end. You can also do manual recordings, e.g. from 10:05-11pm, with 4 minutes of start padding.

Unfortunately NEITHER of those will work on S1s, since S1s only allow 1,2,3,5,higher amounts of padding (i.e. not 4 mins exactly).

7. InspectorGadget

Feb 22, 2002
    San Jose, CA
    Yeah, I'm constantly deprecated having two S1's with lifetime subs. And the worst thing about that now is that TiVo constantly hits my SAT-T60 with software "updates" that trash my LBA48 big drive, even though these "updates" have nothing really useful in them.

I always get screwed being an early adopter...

8. jeff125va

jeff125va New Member

Mar 15, 2001
    Ashburn, VA USA
    I think of it now as the Grey's Anatomy problem since ONE extra minute wasn't enough for them and they to push the envelope and go to 10:02. ER had actually just made things easier by going from 9:59 all the way to 10:01, then GA had to screw it all up again.

The main reason they do this though is not just to keep viewers from switching, it's to sell additional air time during the higher-rated shows. But that doesn't necessarily go hand-in-hand with the published start and end times. CBS has essentially been doing the same thing with CSI and Without A Trace (and Shark last season) for several years. The first minute of the WAT recording is a commercial and then the credits/previews for CSI. But the guide data has them starting and ending on the hour.

9. tivogurl

tivogurl New Member

Dec 15, 2004
    If you think that's bad, check out NBC on Monday Nights:

Heroes 9:00-10:02
    Journeyman 10:01-11:00

Yes, they are intentionally scheduling overlap on their own shows.

10. GoAWest

GoAWest New Member

Oct 27, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    This is being discussed in another thread (but this one is more appropriate).

Why would they do that (on purpose) on the same network? Since the two shows are on the same network, all this would do on a non-overlap-capable DVR is block one of their own two shows. On TiVos with overlap it's less of an issue although you might miss a minute of the later show or find it at the end of the previous show recording.

Even if they wanted to run a more popular show long (more commercials) it seems like they'd want correct guide data times for their own second show. Running long to bump another show on another network would make sense, but I can't think of a good reason (other than a guide mistake--do you really think it's "intentional"??) why they would do it on their own network with obviously wrong guide data.

11. InspectorGadget

Feb 22, 2002
    San Jose, CA
    If I were a suspicious kind of guy I'd venture to say that the networks were under pressure from the advertisers to screw up as many DVRs as possible.

12. jeff125va

jeff125va New Member

Mar 15, 2001
    Ashburn, VA USA
    How do you know that it's intentional?

13. tivogurl

tivogurl New Member

Dec 15, 2004
    It still hasn't been fixed despite my numerous complaints, and I doubt I'm the only person who complained. It's been more than a month since my first, plenty of time to fix it, if you really want to.

14. bicker

bicker bUU

Nov 9, 2003
    Florida
    That doesn't indicate it is intentional. More likely, that indicates that it just isn't important to enough people.

15. jeff125va

jeff125va New Member

Mar 15, 2001
    Ashburn, VA USA
    Or they could just be idiots.

16. GoAWest

GoAWest New Member

Oct 27, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Since all they're doing with *this* (Heros/JM on same network) guide error is screwing their own viewers and shows rather than messing up shows on other networks, Occam's razor suggests this is the better explaination... :)

17. InspectorGadget

Feb 22, 2002
    San Jose, CA
    In my 48 years of watching TV I've never seen such idiocy with time schedules. I've seen the programming not respect the published schedules, seen them overrun or underrun the times with the actual program, but NEVER saw crazy scheduled times until this year.

For them to go to the effort and volition to publish such weird times, I think there has to be some reason for it, not just idiocy.

DVR's are a big pimple on the a** of advertisers. Anything that can be done to prevent people from recording is a BIG benefit to advertisers. The stupid overlapping times prevent recording.

To "GoAWest": If you think about it, the overlapping times on the same network DOESN'T screw the people who are just watching, only the ones who are recording. Occams razor in this case suggests the better explanation is that they are TRYING to mess up recording.

18. GoAWest

GoAWest New Member

Oct 27, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    I'd buy "TRYING to mess up recording" for network-A messing up network-B (e.g. ABC's Grey's Anatomy running *really* long, 8min, to block recording of NBC's ER). But I still don't think it makes sense for a network to do that (with faulty/overlapped guide data--it's "OK" if one show runs long if its own next show's guide data runs short) to its own shows.

In the case of the Heros/Journeyman example (*if* having faulty guide data rather than just "shifted" long/short data), both on the same network, my TiVo's overlap protection handles it OK so I don't miss anything or, worst-case, the first or last few minutes of a show. But if overlap didn't handle it (no overlap, or overlap > TiVo 5-min limit), I'd just miss one of the shows. This happens now when two desired shows fully overlap as I pick one and don't watch the other.

And who loses if I don't watch a show?--me (sort of...) by not watching the show, but also the *advertisers* by having me and others miss the entire show, commercials and all, both live and one+ times later. I'm probably watching or at least sampling *more* shows (watched odd times & dates, days/weeks/months after airing) since I have two TiVos in my house, but I'll certainly watch less if shows just don't record.

Make me not use a recording device (a VCR if not a TiVo)--fat chance. I'm often not home or rarely watching TV during the 8PM-11PM prime-time window, and I'm not going to rush home or skip work or more important family things for this stuff.

19. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    "Overlap Protection"

20. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Again, 'er' was doing it for a few years.. (i.e. 9:59 start time in the schedule). For at least one year before that, they *were* starting early but didn't officially say that.

Now (I suspect because its ratings have dropped), they're actually starting at 10:01.