scene change format problem in 1080i

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by mosel67, Sep 9, 2007.

1. mosel67

mosel67 New Member

Nov 18, 2002
    I have the Series3 HD Tivo with a Sony XBR (57") TV. This TV accepts video in various formats (480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i). When playing HD (1080i) video from the Tivo, changes of scene - usually from a light to a dark background scene - regularly cause the TV to reformat the image (as if the signal had just changed, for example, from 480i to 1080i). The result is a blackout of video for a second or more while the TV resyncs to the video signal. This does not happen in 480 format, only in 1080i, whether the Tivo video output selection is 1080i Hybrid or 1080i Fixed.

This can make watching some programs unbearable - you'll never notice how many scene changes there are in video until you get a blackout on every other one. The problem seems to be even worse when fast forwarding. This can make it impossible to skip commercials effectively as a blackout invariably occurs during the many scene changes across commercials, and the video image typically does not reappear until the commercials are well over.

Has anyone seen this problem? Does anyone NOT have this problem with a Sony XBR TV?

Thanks in advance for any more information on this problem.

MW

2. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    What specific Sony model did you have?

You might try disabling some extra processing features on Sony, such as noise reduction, contrast enhancement, etc.

3. mosel67

mosel67 New Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Sony KP-57XBR10W

Good idea, but no luck. There is a Dynamic Picture setting (for black intensity) which is available for the DTV input, but it has no effect on the blackout problem. (The are two other settings that could be contributors - Auto Wide and Noise Reduction, both of which are on, but they cannot be turned off for the DTV input.)

My guess is that if there were a setting to fix the resolution to 1080i on the DTV input (while using 1080i Fixed on the Tivo) the problem would go away. But, alas, there seems to be no way to do this on the TV.

I should mention that I did not have this problem with the (Cox) Motorola HD DVR. (Lots of other problems with that DVR, but no problems related to image format.)

MW

4. mosel67

mosel67 New Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seems that this is a known issue with older TVs, in particular the Sony KP-57XBR10W.

Sorry, the forum won't let me post URLs yet apparently, but look on the Tivo Community Forum under "Sony KP-61HS10 and HDTivo Problem" (thread id 175338, referrer id 84969).

Looks like the problem requires the replacement of the "A-Board" in the TV.

MW