Scandal 4/5/2012 Sweet Baby

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by hummingbird_206, Apr 6, 2012.

1. hummingbird_206

hummingbird_206 Retired

Aug 22, 2007
    Valley of...
    Held my attention so I'll be keeping the SP. I'm up for crisis of the week stories. Hope they don't keep centering on the President though.

2. Beryl

Beryl Well-Known Member TCF Club

Feb 22, 2009
    Texas
    Really liked this show. My Season Pass is set.

3. ThePennyDropped

ThePennyDropped Now I get it.

Jul 5, 2006
    Northeast US
    I really liked it, too, but I felt that the plot revolving around the President was the weakest aspect of the episode. The previews made it look like the next episode will focus on the President, too, which is unfortunate.

4. ronsch

ronsch Active Member

Sep 7, 2001
    Tallahassee,...
    +1

The wife and I both liked it.

5. Doggie Bear

Doggie Bear Member

Jan 16, 2008
    Pacific...
    EDIT: Thoughts on the second episode (OAD 4/12/12) -- I didn't read the thread title carefully enough, I guess.

It held my attention, but the attention paid to the accuracy of the legal issues was absurdly bad.

1) There's no need in general for an arrest warrant, unless you're arresting someone in his or her own house. This one I can let pass because it's sort of inside baseball for lawyers.

2) People who sit on the Tenth Circuit (federal appellate court) are "judges" not "justices." I saw an oral argument once where a lawyer inadvertently referred to a circuit judge as "justice" and the judge made fun of the lawyer for having promoted the judges. Again, this is not that big of a deal.

3) The U.S. Attorney is going to serve a subpoena? Really? That would be like having the CFO of a corporation personally delivering annual reports to shareholders.

4) Speaking of the U.S. Attorney, Olivia's comment that he was angling for an appointment to be Attorney General in the next Democratic administration makes ZERO sense. We know the current President is a Republican (which, by the way, raises the question, is Olivia a Republican as well, since she previously worked in his White House?). U.S. Attorneys are appointed positions, and they are pretty much aligned with the President. When Bill Clinton assumed office in January 1993, he immediately fired EVERY U.S. Attorney so that he could appoint his own. So the U.S. Attorney here is assuredly a Republican. Why would he expect to be appointed AG by a Democratic President? That makes no sense.

5) Speaking of making no sense, if Judge Keating is such a perfect jurist -- non-partisan, reflective, scholarly, etc. -- there would be no reason for the Democratic Senators to oppose confirming him. If they did manage to "Bork" him with the prostitution incident (which it turns out isn't even about him, only his wife), the next appointee could be more more ideologically conservative.

6) Um . . . Olivia may say they're lawyers but they aren't practicing law, except that sure looked like Desmond from "Lost" was practicing law in a courtroom. Moreover, she's constantly talking about her clients and claiming lawyerly privileges and things. Yet, she has a massive conflict of interest in representing the D.C. Madam on the one hand (and seeking to protect the list and all that), and blabbing about Keating's presence on the list to the President on the other hand. Moreover, she actually starts working toward helping Keating even though that may be to the detriment of her client!

7) That sure looked like she was blackmailing the various Congressmen. It's true that the state bars are pretty lame about going after lawyer misconduct, but there's no way she'd remain a lawyer after pulling a stunt like that.

6. ronsch

ronsch Active Member

Sep 7, 2001
    Tallahassee,...
    Doggie Bear - You posted information from the second episode in the thread for the first episode without spoiler tags.

7. Doggie Bear

Doggie Bear Member

Jan 16, 2008
    Pacific...
    Oops, my bad. Fixed, sort of. Sorry about that!

8. Graymalkin

Graymalkin Grumpy Poster

Mar 20, 2001
    Northern...
    It's become apparent that Shonda Rimes knows as much about the law as she does about medicine -- that is to say, bupkes.

An African-American woman high up in a Republican White House? Somebody is awfully enamored of Condaleeza Rice.