Sayonara, folks

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by EldRick, Jan 11, 2012.

1. EldRick

EldRick New Member

Jan 3, 2012
    I've just cancelled my Tivo service along with Comcast V service, in favor of DirecTV.

The reason is simple: Comcast delivers all local channels in 480i, and the Tivo Premiere does a miserable job of handling this low-res content.

Bye.

2. Innerloop

Innerloop New Member

Sep 10, 2000
    Marin...
    Bye!

3. danjw1

danjw1 Member

Sep 13, 2005
    DirecTV has a new Tivo DVR that is available.

4. DeWitt

DeWitt Member

Jun 30, 2004
    Saratoga...
    I forget how lucky I am to have Fios. I honestly can not remember the last time I watched or recorded an SD channel. Hopefully a Direct Tivo can be your salvation.

5. zalusky

zalusky Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 5, 2002
    Cupertino, CA
    Are you sure you don't have locals in SD and another set in HD that you don't see.
    Around here the locals are 2-77 and the HD equivalents are in the 700 range.

6. magnus

magnus Tivo User

Nov 12, 2004
    Texas
    Wonders why folks feel the need to create a goodbye thread. It makes no sense to me.

7. smbaker

smbaker Well-Known Member

May 24, 2003
    It makes more sense than creating a hello thread.

8. ncted

ncted A leaf on the wind

May 13, 2007
    Durham, NC
    ?

9. xberk

xberk Member

Dec 3, 2011
    I'm confused. My Tivo Premiere handles 480i just fine if you set the TIVO for SD and playback on a 25" CRT television. As good as my Series 2. But 480i recordings played back on a HiDef screen, naturally look fuzzy - the larger the screen, the worse it gets. If Comcast does not deliver local channels in HD .. that is the problem, not the TIVO. Have I got this right?
    Hard to believe they don't have local channels in HD these days.

10. smbaker

smbaker Well-Known Member

May 24, 2003
    Well if he's leaving, a hello thread would have just been silly and pointless... ;)

11. minimeh

minimeh Vanity Phrase Here

Jun 20, 2011
    San Francisco
    A little over a year ago I was at my son-in-law's house. He turned on a game on his big-screen setup with a Motorola HD DVR. I asked why we weren't watching it in HD instead of SD. He said that is HD. I asked what channel and he said 2. I said how about trying 702. Imagine his surprise when he saw what HD really looked like!

He'd had this setup for a year or more and didn't know that the HD channels on his Comcast system were 700 and up.

Mind you, he is an intelligent, educated, hip dude! So, it happens. :)

:D

12. Innerloop

Innerloop New Member

Sep 10, 2000
    Marin...
    If my Comcast provider didn't have HD feeds of local channels and DirecTV DID (where the hell does this guy live?!) you'd better believe I'd drop kick their ass, Tivo or no Tivo.

That's just absurd.

13. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    I don't believe that the locals are not available in HD.

14. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    I must be dense, I don't understand this. You WANT the non-HD channels?

15. magnus

magnus Tivo User

Nov 12, 2004
    Texas
    Yep, put up an antenna people... that just crazy. I'm surprised that people still don't get that idea.

16. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Most cable providers provide the locals in HD in clear QAM as well.

17. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    That's not what the originator was saying. They were claiming (IMHO) that they didn't get the HD versions. I believe they simply hadn't found the 700-numbered channels, for example. (For me, 2 is KTVU SD, 702 is KTVU-HD).

But as for your question, *I* want the SD channels.. Heck, if the Tivo, WITH cablecards, would still use the analog channels optionally, I would probably sometimes record the analog version instead.. for disk space issues.. The HD versions are humungous. (Even with an expanded drive, which I don't currently have since my old drive is in a reboot loop, the HD versions take up tons of space.)

18. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    The HD versions are only several gigabytes in size. That is pretty small. Actually the sizes are typically smaller now than ten years ago with broadcast in my area. My HD recordings ten years ago were larger than today. And back then I had twelve hard drives in a tower case just to get 3TB of storage available on my network.

19. TVCricket

TVCricket HDUI

Mar 7, 2010
    Sorry, but no matter how hard Directv or Dish Network or Comcast, or Time Warner try, they can't make old episodes of Seinfeld look better than the Tivo Premiere can. If it's not in TrueHD, it's gonna look like pooh.

20. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seinfeld#Seinfeld_in_HD