saving/transferring recordings from Roamio

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by gadgetzilla, Sep 17, 2019.

1. gadgetzilla

gadgetzilla New Member

Apr 6, 2015
    Hello All,
    My Roamio in the living room is reaching capacity and I would like to save off the recordings (as mp4 format) to view at a later time, using plex.

What the most effective way to extract the recordings? I am currently tinkering with kmttg open source software. Is there anything else that is recommended?

any help is greatly appreciated.
    cheers.

2. Scott9mm

Scott9mm Member

Apr 4, 2015
    Rural NC
    In my experience, kmttg is great (way better than TiVo Desktop for so many reasons). Installation/setup is no longer difficult (but some effort is required). The hardest thing, IMO, is selecting the best encoding to MP4. Several encode profiles are included with KMTTG and you can tweak them. I sacrifice resolution to produce MP4 files about one tenth the size of the original TiVo file.

gadgetzilla likes this.
  3. gadgetzilla

gadgetzilla New Member

Apr 6, 2015

Thank you for your reply.

There is definitely a learning curve to that kmttg. I will read further on how to save the file as .MP4 because so far, the setting I have (probably the default) saves the file as a .TS
    MP4 is a more popular format and many apps, etc. read that file. =)
    If you provide some feedback in creating the settings to .MP4, I would greatly appreciate it, (would save me some researching/reading) =)

Cheers !

4. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    gadgetzilla likes this.
  5. justen_m

justen_m Cheesehead

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID
    re kmttg: Simply decrypting the .TS and producing .mpg can happen as fast as you can download the file. Transcoding .mpg to .mp4, an additional step, is relatively slow in comparison. Of course, during that step you can reduce the resolution and bitrate to create a tiny file, as mentioned above, but isn't necessary unless disk space is your major concern. I just download/decrypt, and keep the .mpg files.

.mpg will play anywhere these days. In the past, people wanted .mp4 for phones... but I just use VLC on my Android phone and tablet [and Win10 and Linux boxes] to play .mpg files. Of course, my phone also has a 128GB mSSD card to store video files, which is a bit more memory than phones used to have.

gadgetzilla likes this.
  6. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Downloads are in .TiVo format and after its decrypted, it results in either .MPG or .TS depending on how it was downloaded. .MPG is with TS download disabled, and .TS with it enabled. As noted, it needs to be encoded with the right profile to get the proper ,MP4. The process could take hours for the uncompressed files.

gadgetzilla likes this.
  7. Scott9mm

Scott9mm Member

Apr 4, 2015
    Rural NC
    I forgot why I decided on kmttg vs pytivo desktop (which was indeed easy to install/use).

kmttg is very flexible but that also means there are many options that need choosing. kmttg runs as a multi-step process: download, decrypt, extract closed captions, and encode. These can all be automated to run unattended. MP4 files do not support closed captions so a separate (srt) file is needed. Encode (mp2 to mp4) is the time-consuming step. Once you have a working set of settings you can automatically process all files with selected key words: for example all shows with the word "Magnum" in the title.

I think I encode everything with variations of "FF Zune" encode script but with edits. For example I change the resolution, audio codec, or aspect ratio as needed. Different programs/channels sometimes need different encode parameters.

Frankly, I spent a lot of time getting kmttg settings right initially. But now, kmttg runs unattended on my PC. It checks all of my TiVos every hour and downloads/processes any of about 30 programs when it finds them. It keeps track of what's already been downloaded.

gadgetzilla and Mikeguy like this.
  8. Sparky1234

Sparky1234 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2006
    Convert to h.265 with Handbrake for smaller files.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2019
    gadgetzilla likes this.
  9. ej42137

ej42137 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Why would I want smaller quality? I think I should want smaller, quality files. (Let's eat grandma!)

gadgetzilla likes this.
  10. Sparky1234

May 8, 2006
    ok

11. justen_m

justen_m Cheesehead

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID
    Can h265 be played everywhere? Can TiVos play it natively? I'm not familiar with it at all.

12. gadgetzilla

gadgetzilla New Member

Apr 6, 2015
    Thank you all for the great feedback.

unfortunately .mpg won't play on plex. It will be my primary app to playback the files. I will also test out PyTivo and see how that works out for my needs. File size is not important, I don't plan playing the TiVo (converted) recordings on a phone/tablet. Mostly, it will be played through the plex app on Roku.

This process (downloading TiVo files then archiving/converting) may become a routine task for me so I am willing to invest in a dedicated PC that will run kmttg to do the downloading and converting. If converting .mpg to .mp4 is a time consuming task, more the reason for a dedicated PC

Not sure if it makes sense but I may also install plex server on the same PC although the cpus might be taxed heavy if both processes (kmttg converting and plex transcoding) are running simultaneously.

Lots to read and think over :)

13. justen_m

justen_m Cheesehead

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID
    Yeah, it does. At least with my Win10 and Linux servers. Maybe you are having a problem with Apple products, can't help with that, but I've got plex servers running on three machines, pic Linux or Win, and I can help, maybe.

I,m a plex lifetime member. I like it. I love pytivo too.

Your last, yeah... Don't do that! LOL. I've got multi-core Intel Xeons on my workstation and server. Don't overwhelm your cores.

14. Sparky1234

May 8, 2006
    Yes.

15. gadgetzilla

gadgetzilla New Member

Apr 6, 2015
    @justen_m - thank you for that clarification. I will research further on plex. If it CAN play .mpeg then converting to .mp4 is a non-issue for me. I plan on using plex on roku.

edit: went to plex site: nowhere it states to play.mpg file. Will continue searching

sounds good, I'll keep the plex and kmttg workstation separate ;-)