Saving Grace - what's the verdict?

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by SoldOnTiVo, Sep 18, 2007.

1. SoldOnTiVo

SoldOnTiVo New Member

Mar 5, 2003
    Canadian,...
    So, what do people think of Saving Grace?

I'm not sure yet. My wife and I had a "marathon" over the weekend and even after basically catching up to the season, I'm still not sure.

Usually, I figure out if I like a show or not within 3 episodes. For some reason, this one is more difficult.

the stories aren't bad; I kind of like the characters;

I don't know about sleep-around cop. If that's her thing, then fine, but does she have to go through the entire department?

The show think they're "edgy" with all the intimate scenes, but it's getting old.

2. getreal

getreal postcrastinator

Sep 29, 2003
    Earth
    I'm liking it, but Holly Hunter sure puts on the ugly face when she's taking a drag on a cigarette.

Holly (the actress) used to be a little hottie, but now she seems to be hiding behind her hair and is way too emaciated for my personal liking.

Grace (the character) seems to have an interesting relationship with the female forensic cop and the female boss. Grace is just a very serious, yet fun-loving & playful character. And I like Earl as the angel. Glad they didn't go with a pretty-boy male model.

I have to admit that I am having some difficulty maintaining my concentration on the storyline sometimes, whereas a show like LOST has my rapt attention throughout. HEROES also had that affect on me until the final couple of episodes in Season One.

3. SoldOnTiVo

SoldOnTiVo New Member

Mar 5, 2003
    Canadian,...
    Agreed. It does seem to fit the chain-smoking, heavy drinking character, though. (almost want to say: crack h.. ) :)

yep, and I'm not sure why. It's still interesting enough to watch, but not enough to give it my undivided attention. weird.

4. mick66

mick66 Dirty Burger

Oct 15, 2004
    The 'verse
    Saving who?

5. getreal

getreal postcrastinator

Sep 29, 2003
    Earth
  6. pkscout

pkscout Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2003
    Honolulu, HI
    We gave up on it after three or so episodes. It was like a nasty, gritty version of Highway to Heaven, but worse.

7. rjom

rjom Member

Feb 28, 2004
    I gave it two episodes....couldn't hold me. Deleting the remainder.

8. Cainebj

Cainebj Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    me 3 - i gave up after 2 episodes.

i couldn't understand a word Holly Hunter was saying.

9. phox_mulder

phox_mulder I get paid 2watch TV

Feb 23, 2006
    Salt Lake...
    See the Closed Captioning poll in Coffee House.

I kind of like it.
    Dysfunctional characters all around, even Earl the Angel is a bit off.

phox

10. jennifer

jennifer Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2001
    I gave up on it long ago, but spouse loves it.

11. Graymalkin

Graymalkin Grumpy Poster

Mar 20, 2001
    Northern...
    I liked it. The season finale was like, "Whoah! Did Holly Hunter really DO that?!"

I hope they renew it. I want to see what the Big Cheese has in store for Grace next year.

12. Idearat

Idearat Active Member

Nov 26, 2000
    Gilroy
    I've enjoyed it. I was predisposed to like Holly Hunter, though her gaunt looks really do scare me.

When I saw Earl's wings in the first episode I was worried it would some sappy touchy feelie show, but luckily the wings are just tossed in now for fun.

Laura San Giacomo is fun to see again, I'd always liked her in Just Shoot Me. Her take on an angel she wants to believe in, but as a scientist wants physical proof of, seems plausible.

13. Fl_Gulfer

Fl_Gulfer Tivo's R Us

May 27, 2005
    Fl.Gulf
    That sure was alot of ass in the first 15 min. of the show, I think they kept switching asses with a stunt double. {Notice I didn't say a Body Double} But her whole backside was pretty scary, although I do kind of like the show, it could use a little less of her skinny naked body.

14. ahartman

ahartman Space for Rent

Dec 28, 2001
    Cleveland, OH
    I like the show. It's not a 'must see as soon as we're 20 mins in' type of show, but I've always enjoyed it as I watch them.

I love the idea of the horribly flawed cop trying to do good, but continuously failing herself personally. I hate Holly Hunter. The show is good in spite of her.

I don't need to see her bony skinny ass naked or anywhere near naked. HUGE turnoff.

15. getreal

getreal postcrastinator

Sep 29, 2003
    Earth
    Agreed that emaciated is NOT sexy or attractive.
    So WHY do you suppose so many starlets THINK it's a desirable look? My guess is that they are brainwashed to think that because Women's magazines and fashions promote that look, but I don't know ANY hetero guys who would agree with that viewpoint.

16. etexlady

etexlady Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2002
    East Texas
    I stayed with it. Not one of my favorite favorites but good for a summer show. I think I like it better than Damages which I am still watching but it's been rather slow the last couple of episodes.

17. mick66

mick66 Dirty Burger

Oct 15, 2004
    The 'verse
  18. swinca

swinca Menace to society

Jun 19, 2003
    Jaw-ja y'all
    This show just didn't hold my attention. I didn't make it through the first episode and never went back.

19. IJustLikeTivo

IJustLikeTivo Active Member

Oct 3, 2001
    Gaithersburg...
    I gave up after two shows. I have no interest in watching people I would hate in real life. The grace character is without redeeming value. It's the same reason I can't watch the closer.

20. SoldOnTiVo

SoldOnTiVo New Member

Mar 5, 2003
    Canadian,...
    I actually like the closer (although I'm basically a season behind now. the opinion might change). :)

In Closer, I like the caracter's interactions. With Grace; not so much.