"Saving Grace" -- anyone interested?

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Bierboy, Jul 23, 2007.

1. Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    Holly Hunter starring in this one on TNT starting tonight. Anyone watching?

2. JLucPicard

JLucPicard Active Member

Jul 8, 2004
    West St....
    I've got it cued up and ready to go. It looks interesting enough that I will definitely be giving it a shot.

3. johnperkins21

johnperkins21 Member

Aug 29, 2005
    Is there any significant difference between this and "Highway to Heaven?" I mean other than the emphasis on the ex-alcoholic character as opposed to whoever the angel is in this show.

4. mwhip

mwhip All better

Jul 22, 2002
    Dallas
    I like Holly Hunter and will give it a couple episodes.

5. sieglinde

sieglinde Active Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    I never watched Highway to Heaven so I cannot judge but this looks to be edgier and I am tired of sickenly sweet "famiily friendly" crap. A review I read confirmed my suspicions that this is edgy and so is the Holly Hunter character.

6. Bierboy

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    Yeah, this definitely looks to be a very dark show...I saw Highway to Heaven (ages me!), and I think this would be nearly the opposite.

7. johnperkins21

johnperkins21 Member

Aug 29, 2005
    I just readthis review and it sounds almost exactly like I imagined an updated "Highway to Heaven" would work. The constant barrage of commercials for this during the past few Nascar races pretty much turned me off, but now that I know exactly what the show is and where it's going, I certainly won't watch.

I usually do like Holly Hunter though. If enough people around here say it's good, I might give it a shot.

8. megory

megory Advanced TiVoOligan

Jan 22, 2003
    Spectrum,...
    I'll give it a 6. And I'll give it one more show before I cancel my pass.

9. bareyb

bareyb Under Maintenance TCF Club

Dec 1, 2000
    Silicon Valley
    Well it didn't grab me like I'd hoped it would, but I'm gonna give it a couple more episodes and see if I get hooked. Usually I know right away, but with Holly Hunter I'm willing to give her the benefit of the doubt. The character ideas seem solid to me. I'm still interested enough to see where they can take it.

10. pkscout

pkscout Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2003
    Honolulu, HI
    I have the first episode on the TiVo but haven't gotten around to watching yet. Amazingly we can't seem to keep up with all the summer runs (Dead Zone, 4400, Psych, Monk, Burn Notice, etc.).

11. bicker

bicker bUU

Nov 9, 2003
    Florida
    We've found it remarkably a little bit better than Damages, but not as good as The Closer, of course.

12. Bierboy

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    That's interesting because I can't stand the Closer. I gave it all the chance in the world, but I just couldn't track with it....oh well...

13. JLucPicard

JLucPicard Active Member

Jul 8, 2004
    West St....
    I don't quite understand the love for The Closer, either. I watch it, but to me it's more just filling time or having something to watch. I don't find the stories compelling and I'm not a Kyra Sedgewick fan. I like the cast in general and I like crime shows, I guess that's what keeps me watching. I always thought "Wanted" was head and shoulders better than The Closer, but that went the way of most of what I like. Oh well.

I'm liking Saving Grace so far. I hope it turns out to be good and at least stays on the air long enough to find out.

14. bicker

bicker bUU

Nov 9, 2003
    Florida
    The Closer was best explained by Joy Press in the Village Voice last year:
    So the show will appeal more to folks who find coming to know and like characters enjoyable.

15. Bierboy

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    I guess that's my point, then, because I don't like her character...much as I tried to through several eps.

16. mzgig

mzgig Owned by Cats

Jul 26, 2003
    Las Vegas
    I like Holly Hunter, but this show SUCKS, bigtime. I couldn't cancel my SP fast enough.

17. bicker

bicker bUU

Nov 9, 2003
    Florida
    I find her character very interesting. Flawed, yet clearly there is some reason why she's considered worth saving. I immediately felt for her.

I also think the prisoner is an intriguing character.

18. Alfer

Alfer New Member

Aug 7, 2003
    Totally skipping this one...has LAME-O written al over it.

19. JoeTiVo

JoeTiVo New DirecTivo, when?

Jun 25, 2001
    Pewaukee, WI
    Hanging in there still. It's not as exciting as I was hoping. But I think it still has promise. They are definitely trying to push the limits a bit with the 'almost nudity' and language. Not that I mind, mind you. :)

20. Jon J

Jon J Curmudgeon TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Music City USA
    Earl is my favorite character. ;)