Saving Grace (06/21/10) - I Need You to Call Earl & I'm Gonna Need a Big Night Light

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by ScubaCat, Jun 22, 2010.

1. ScubaCat

ScubaCat Shades of Blue......

Jun 26, 2003
    N.E. GA

Advertisements

Well I guess we know what Earl was preparing Grace for now. I would have preferred a more positive ending but at least we got a series finale.

2. efilippi

efilippi Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jul 24, 2001
    Mundelein, Il
    I enjoyed the series because of the characters in it. Very likeable. The story about the angel, just confused me. I never did figure out exactly what the heck Earl was trying to do, and the ending didn't help.

So long Grace, Holly, hope to see you again soon.

3. Graymalkin

Graymalkin Grumpy Poster

Mar 20, 2001
    Northern...
    That's it? That was God's big plan for Grace?

I was half-expecting her to show up next to Earl with real wings in place of her tattooed ones. Guess she didn't earn even that much.

4. GDG76

GDG76 .

Oct 2, 2000
    Felt like a lot of time screwing around in the first episode and a rush job to fit everything in during the second.

The conspiracy theory and John Doe stuff could have been cooler if they had been doing more of it from the beginning.

5. speedcouch

speedcouch Geekneck

Oct 23, 2003
    North Carolina

Advertisements

I was pretty satisfied with the ending. Surprised, yes, but still very glad the writers didn't cop-out like those on Lost. When it started to be clear she was going to have a good vs. evil showdown with the bad guy, I figured she'd win (as the hero would in most shows), so the fact she didn't was a good surprise. It was all about free-will after all and she willing chose to sacrifice herself in order to stop the guy from murdering more people.

I really enjoyed this show, but it probably had run it's course. I'm good with the ending.

Cheryl

6. toddvj

toddvj New Member

Apr 22, 2004
    St. Paul, MN
    Just finished the finale. Not great. I enjoyed the series, but it was a big build up to a whole bunch of nothing. The finale seemed like they planned out the first 45 minutes then said, "oh wait, we still need an ending." They could've done a lot more with it is all.

7. appleye1

appleye1 Active Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Back From...
    Would somebody mind providing details on the ending? I watched most of the first season and then drifted away for some reason. But I always wondered how the show would end.

8. john4200

john4200 Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2009
    There was a bad guy that may or may not have been the devil. He had been showing up here and there around Grace for a number of episodes. In the finale, he burned down Grace's house, and also confessed to just about all the other bad things that happened. Earl told Grace that she could not kill evil, but Grace disagreed. So she went to meet evil and emptied her gun into him, but he was still standing and talking. He had brought a truck full of explosives with him, so Grace flung a lit cigar into the explosives and blew both of them up. The last couple minutes showed a single body bag and Grace's friends looking sad and upset.

I'm not sure why Grace thought that if filling the guy full of bullets would not kill him, that blowing him up would do the trick. And there was only one body bag...

9. appleye1

appleye1 Active Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Back From...
    OK, that is definitely not how I thought it would end. To me it sounds like Earl ended up being a mere plot device rather than an integral part of the story like I thought he was. But again I admit, I only watched the first season. Maybe people who stuck with the show would disagree.

10. Roswell

Roswell Member

Apr 7, 2004
    It looked to me like everyone in the cast was there at the end, except for Johnny - the priest brother. Did I miss him?

11. kmcorbett

kmcorbett Member

Dec 7, 2002
    Newton MA
    Maybe the point of Grace's final action was not to destroy Hut but to thwart his plan. This is a redemption of sorts for the bombing of the Federal building and the death of Grace's sister. And maybe the point is that, in the end, Grace was willing to sacrifice herself, not for G*d (Earl mentioned Joan going to the flames singing His praise) but just doing her job, that is, following her real calling all along.

Just my $.02

12. Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    I thought the final scene of all of them saluting as her body was removed from the scene was well done. But, overall, I was disappointed with the entire final season. Won't miss it...I simply stuck with it since I had invested in so much in watching the entire series from the beginning.

13. john4200

john4200 Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2009
    It seemed to me that she followed evil's plan exactly as he wanted -- to kill Grace. She did it for him.

If she wanted to do her job, she should have had her backup waiting outside, who would storm in at the first gunshot. Maybe he cannot be killed, but I'd at least give locking him up a try.