Saving an HDVR2

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by missingwings, Mar 31, 2011.

1. missingwings

missingwings Member

Mar 31, 2011
    The drive in my HDVR2 seems to be failing, so I picked up an identical working unit. Unfortunately, DirecTV will not activate the replacement unit, because HDVR2's do not have RID numbers (not clear if this is just policy or a hardware issue - apparently a change from past practice). It's my understanding that the software resides on the Access Card, and of course, I will reuse the original Access Card. I realize I can get a free DVR replacement, but I'm happy with my TiVO unit and before making any drastic changes, I plan to wait until HD TiVO's are either available or finally declared to be vaporware.

Questions: Can I simply replace the failing drive with the good drive and be back up and running? If no, are there any other options allowing me to keep my HDVR2?

2. LifeIsABeach

LifeIsABeach Active Member

Feb 28, 2001
    Drexel Hill, PA
    As long as it is the same make and model TiVo you can swap the hard drives. You will probably have to do a Clear and Delete everything once you put in the new hard drive before you can use it.

For future reference - there are companies (such as dvrupgrade) which sell drives with the TiVo software on it as well as a CD with the software you can copy to a blank drive you purchase. Usually cheaper than buying a new unit and you can put a much larger hard drive in your TiVo for more recording space.

3. missingwings

missingwings Member

Mar 31, 2011
    Thanks much, LifeIsABeach,

So by "Clear and Delete," I assume you mean from the DirecTV menu, as opposed to running some Linux process or doing a low-level format on the drive itself - is this a correct assumption?

p.s. I am aware of Weaknees et. al., but just want to maintain until the HD transition happens.