"save to vcr" function gone?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by rainbow, Jun 9, 2011.

1. Jun 9, 2011 #1 of 24
    rainbow

rainbow Member

Feb 7, 2008
    I have a premiere and a series 3. I just noticed yesterday that the "save to vcr" function is not listed in th options of programs I have saved in the premiere. Luckily that option is still there for the series 3.

Is it no longer an option for the premiere?:eek:

2. Jun 9, 2011 #2 of 24
    aridon

aridon Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Insert "what is a vcr" joke. :)

3. Jun 9, 2011 #3 of 24
    rainbow

rainbow Member

Feb 7, 2008
    yes - I thought about expounding on that, but the function does work for the dvd recorder I have it hooked up to. They could change the wording to say - 'save to device'. But that option looks like it is totally gone, at least on my premiere.

I was wondering if it might be an oversight (hopefully) with the pgrm updates.

4. Jun 9, 2011 #4 of 24
    Philmatic

Philmatic Member

Sep 17, 2003
    I think that the powers that be have been wanting to get rid of that feature for years now to close the "analog hole". DRM free transfers of Hi-Def content to whatever device you want? That's INSANE! :)

5. Jun 9, 2011 #5 of 24
    L David Matheny

L David Matheny Active Member

Jan 29, 2011
    SE Ohio
    With the Premiere you should be able to make copies to a VCR using the analog outputs and manually starting and stopping the devices. What more did the option do in the Series 3? My TiVo HD has a "Save to VCR" menu option, but it appears to just prompt you with instructions for making a manual copy. Maybe that option originated when TiVos had IR blasters and could actually control VCRs.

6. Jun 9, 2011 #6 of 24
    lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    That option did title the program on your VCR or DVD recorder (something a manual xfer would not do) before the program started to Xfer from the TiVo, my TP did have that option last time i looked but I have not looked for at least two software upgrades so it now it may be gone, I will check it out tonight.

7. Jun 9, 2011 #7 of 24
    kturcotte

kturcotte Active Member

Dec 8, 2002
    Portland, ME
    If the MPAA and the RIAA have their way, there won't even be analog outputs on future devices. JUST HDMI and that's it. I imagine that's what'll happen if/when we get a Series 5. It'll probably have a power connector, cable card slot, ethernet port, USB ports, a Cable in connection, maybe an OTA connection, and an HDMI output, and that's IT.

8. Jun 9, 2011 #8 of 24
    mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Wow, they removed the function? That sucks. Yes, I think calling it "save to VCR" was kind of lame.. but "save to recorder" or something generic-ish.

I use it largely because of the somewhat informative "intro page" it shows before the recording. (Though I have always been using it to save to my DVD recorder.)

9. Jun 9, 2011 #9 of 24
    aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    They must have removed it in the last release......if only they would share release notes again....

10. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    That would be great. It will be nice when all these extraneous analog connections are gone. Personally I wish every device was devoid of analog connections. But realistically that is not possible since so many people still use them.

11. Jonathan_S

Jonathan_S Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2001
    Northern...
    I'm pretty sure you couldn't use the IR blaster to control the VCR, but that feature is that old.

IIRC back in the series 1 days it did a couple of things. One is displayed a title screen before the show. Basically just a quick fullscreen version of the guide data. The other is that it gave limited protection against remote button presses during the copy. Second instead of exiting the playback it would pop up a VCR icon (or some icon) in the bottom corner if you pressed a button; to warn that it was in copy to VCR mode. Of course that meant the transfer always had that icon but I guess that's better than accidently jumping to the menu and then timing out to live TV while the VCR was recording. (You had to hit some confirmation to actually exit, but I can no longer remember what it was)

12. smbaker

smbaker Well-Known Member

May 24, 2003
    You can already convert HDMI to component so the protection is moot. As usual, DRM is only frustrating legitimate users from doing things they are legitimately permitted by law to do. It does nothing to prevent actual piracy.

All the DRM in the world, and blu ray rips still appear on bittorrent before the discs hit store shelves.

13. vstone

vstone Active Member

May 11, 2002
    Martinsville...
    The Premiere has the composite output, but loses the S-Video output that resulted in some fine DVD's made on my Panny DVD recorder.

14. TheWGP

TheWGP Hmmm...

Oct 26, 2007
    +1 - this is so accurate! If you're willing to pirate, it's often *easier* than dealing with all the DRM!

15. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    It does all of these on S3 & TivoHD.

16. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Exactly, for the most part pirating is still an easier option to get video to my TV.

At least the book publishers learned from the movie/music industries mistakes. They made it easier to buy e-books than it is to steal them.

17. rainbow

rainbow Member

Feb 7, 2008
    This is the one thing that I found invaluable - the title info - of that function. My dvd recorder records off of what is on the screen, so I don't 'have' to have that function to record from tv. The title page is what made that function. I sure hope they don't get rid of that function for my S3.

I record episodes of Dr Oz, etc, and that title page saved me from all kinds of manual notes about which shows/dates/prorgram details of each show.

18. L David Matheny

L David Matheny Active Member

Jan 29, 2011
    SE Ohio
    Well, I never used it, but now I know how "Save to VCR" works (or worked). The titling function does sound useful, and they probably should have just renamed it "Save to Recorder" and left it in. I can't imagine that the new TiVos are so short of memory that that's an issue.

19. plazman30

plazman30 Member

Jan 22, 2005
    Well, you can use kmttg to copy the show you want down to your PC and then use some CD burning software to make a Video DVD of it. I have done that for a few people who's kids were in Thanksgiving Day parades.

I also made a DVD of Shaun Cassidy on Oprah for my wife...

20. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    Going to the program information page, and then starting the recording before you press play accomplishes the same thing - a video with the title shown at the beginning and it included the show description. The save to vcr function had to be the most useless thing Tivo ever included. The only purpose it served was to confuse most people about how real time copy recordings of tivo recordings work.