Saturday Night Live OAD 2/3/18 Natalie Portman/Dua Lipa *Spoilers*

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Regina, Feb 4, 2018.

1. Feb 4, 2018 #1 of 20
    Regina

Regina I've got Jewbs!

Mar 29, 2003
    Indiana

Advertisements

Ok, someone has to do it ;)

I don't have a list of all the sketches, just going to talk about my faves-

The cold open was funny-Louis Farrakhan on Fox and Friends? It's like when Tom Hanks was on "Black Jeopardy!" lots of different groups of people think alike-and think the "guv-mint" is out to get them-scary really.

Trump saying he was doing his P90X when in reality he was in the Lincoln bedroom with an egg mcmuffin on his chest-BA HA HA

The "Patriots of New England" -vs- the "Eagles of Philadelphia" sketch had me cracking up - OMG! Rachel Dratch and Tina Fey- so much yes!

"And Connecticut was there too!"
    "In West Philadelphia, born and raised"
    "One if by land and two by your mother!"
    "Captain Tom Brady-he's old! He's like 40 years old-that's 3 years past life expectancy!"

..and Dratch and Fey were on opposite sides even at the good-nights-that's a real rivalry right there!

The new rap was terrifying-but Natalie showed she is game for about anything-

I thought Natalie was going to play Winona Ryder, not Millie Bobbie Brown, in the Stranger Things spoof-the sketch was a little lame-

I don't watch musical guests-I FF -

2. Feb 4, 2018 #2 of 20
    Marc

Marc Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jun 26, 1999
    McMurray, PA
    There was a mildly interesting change in language from what was likely scripted in advance. During Weekend Update, when Colin Jost was discussing the Nunes memo, he said:
    In the closed captioning, the last bit read "It blew my mind how hard this sucked."

3. Feb 4, 2018 #3 of 20
    gossamer88

gossamer88 UHDTV Snob

Jul 26, 2005
    Da Bronx
    Portman's rap video was pretty cool. The rest was pretty bad.

4. Feb 5, 2018 #4 of 20
    trainman

trainman Nice to see you

Jan 29, 2001
    Sherman...
    Must not have gotten a big enough laugh in dress rehearsal. :D

5. Feb 7, 2018 #5 of 20
    Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey

Advertisements

The Pats-Eagles Revolutionary war sketch had me rolling. The rest, blah. I'm a fan of NP so I watched. The musical guest was kind of interesting.

6. Feb 7, 2018 #6 of 20
    kaszeta

kaszeta $nullstring TCF Club

Jun 11, 2004
    Grantham, NH
    That was awesome. And I though WU was better than usual. Most of the rest was a snoozefest for me.

7. Feb 7, 2018 #7 of 20
    Turtleboy

Turtleboy Well-Known Member TCF Club

Mar 24, 2001
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Tina Fey (Philly) and Rachel Dratch (Mass) were great.

Regina and Mikeguy like this.
  8. Feb 7, 2018 #8 of 20
    gweempose

gweempose Well-Known Member TCF Club

Mar 23, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    I enjoyed the skit, but for some reason it completely went over my head that the two of them were actually from Boston and Philly.

9. Feb 7, 2018 #9 of 20
    Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I knew Tina Fey was from PA (and if I recall they wrote that into the Liz Lemon character on 30 Rock). I had no idea that Rachel Dratch was from MASS though.

10. sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    I didn't FF through much, aside from the musical segments (I'm an old rock girl, so most of their musical guests don't interest me), so I guess that's saying something.

Over all, I enjoyed N. Portman.

11. madscientist

madscientist Deregistered Snoozer

Nov 12, 2003
    Lexington, MA
    Not only is Dratch from Lexington (she was born and raised here, but she left before I moved here), but Amy Poehler is from the next town over, Burlington.

In Parks and Rec, the relationship between Pawnee and Eagleton is loosely based on the relationship between Burlington and Lexington... at least as seen through the eyes of the high school student body :)

12. John Gillespie

John Gillespie Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2016
    Venison grinders are wayyy better than venison hoagies!

13. brianric

brianric Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2002
    Pennsville, NJ
    I cracked up when Tina Fey said "We have venison hoagies, porridge stuff peppers, and and corn fritters from Wawa. Wawa is the Indian lady living outside of Conshohocken." For those not from Pennsylvania New Jersey area Wawa is the Cadillac of convenience stores. I must drop about $300 a month at Wawa.

verdugan likes this.
  14. brianric

brianric Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2002
    Pennsville, NJ
    Unless you get your hoagies from that Indian lady Wawa from Conshohocken. :p

15. verdugan

verdugan Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2003
    Sacramento, CA
    And Connecticut!

16. DG3

DG3 Active Member

Apr 7, 2015
    I've been a faithful viewer of SNL since the 80's. Now being faithful doesn't mean I'm a fanboy. I can easily be just as critical as I can be happy with the show.

I've always thought it should be reduced to an hour long. Most episodes have sketches that linger on and on, trying to fill time. An hour show would cut out the grizzle and add more sizzle.

17. Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I've been watching since S1E1 and there are weeks where they hit it every segment, and others that most of it is dreck. I'm ok with the 90 minute format, especially since I record it now and if something is dragging on, I just skip it. One problem they've ALWAYS had is just letting skits go on too long. Sometimes I just think they need some people not afraid to edit.

Martha and NorthAlabama like this.
  18. NorthAlabama

NorthAlabama tabasco rules

Apr 19, 2012
    sweet home, al
    they've seemed to have gotten a better hold on skits running too long recently, and i've always wondered if they plan more than one ending in case times runs long/short during the live broadcast - planning for laughter/applause (or lack thereof) for a live show is tough work.

19. RGM1138

RGM1138 I wanna Rock

Oct 6, 1999
    Gulfport, MS
    Some of the bits were funny. Leslie Jones especially. She has a great comedy look.

Natalie didn’t leave the prompter much.

How much above union scale did they have to pay Nat to almost kiss that guy’s ass? Ugh.

20. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    They have a superhero whose power is the ability to end skits.

DevdogAZ, alpacaboy and NorthAlabama like this.