Saturday Night Live & 60 Minutes - OnePass recording not "New" episodes

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by suomynona, Feb 3, 2016.

1. Feb 3, 2016 #1 of 25
    suomynona

suomynona Member

Apr 11, 2007
    Hello,

I have tried resolving this on my own, but can't seem to figure it out. In my OnePass for SNL, I have set it up to record on NBC only -- beginning with season 41, new recordings only.

However, for some reason -- TiVo has always recorded the 10PM (old) SNL as well (the one that airs before the 11PM local newscast -- even though it is not "New" (no "New" icon next to the episode.)

Is there a way to stop TiVo from recording these? Currently I have to go in and delete the 10PM repeats from my "To Do List". I'd rather not have to do this.

Also, it is kind of annoying that when you set up a wishlist for an actor -- and it records the same thing 10 times. Kind of feel like TiVo should recognize that I already have it recorded and not continue recording the same damn thing over and over again.

Same issue with 60 Minutes. (OnePass recording episodes that are not "New" even though that is what I have set up.) Even deleting the OnePass and creating a new one doesn't help.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2016
  2. Feb 3, 2016 #2 of 25
    JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    SNL has been having that issue since the last ice age. It's partially true since that 10pm showing is a new compilation. If you check zap2it you will find those 10pm shows are not flagged as new. One never knows who to blame. I gave up and just fix it, like I do for TDS on Monday mornings.

NBC also made this week's Tonight Show and Late Night as new for Monday and Tuesday and they were repeats. I guess OAD isn't always first priority.

3. Feb 3, 2016 #3 of 25
    TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    FWIW, this is a data problem not a TiVo problem per se. I've seen the same behavior for the SNL 10 pm show on directv, fios and TiVo.

4. Feb 3, 2016 #4 of 25
    suomynona

suomynona Member

Apr 11, 2007
    Well, if neither of you know of a solution, then there isn't one. Thanks!

I just find it funny that it doesn't have "New" next to the listing -- but is still recorded. Even if you set it to begin recording "Season 41" -- it still records the 10PM airing. That's some dumb....

Of course, this could be avoided if SNL would just give the programming information. (Host/Musical Guest/Original airdate.)

As annoying? For some reason PBS never tells guides who Charlie Rose is having on his show. Might as well say "Tonight's guest is mystery meat."

5. Feb 3, 2016 #5 of 25
    TonyD79

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    I'm not sure what it is triggering in but it isn't anything we see. The First aired date says 1975.

6. Feb 3, 2016 #6 of 25
    suomynona

suomynona Member

Apr 11, 2007
    At least Comedy Central, etc do it correctly or we'd just not OnePass SNL at all. (They list those as repeats -- which is what the 10PM slots are on NBC on Saturdays.) I feel like it's just NBC trying to get ratings...

7. Feb 3, 2016 #7 of 25
    PSU_Sudzi

PSU_Sudzi Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    Solution is to clear it, it's not a TiVo issue, used to happen on my Moxi DVR whenever SNL started showing these compilations at 10 PM. As guide data gets updated the host and original air date will appear in the info.

8. Feb 3, 2016 #8 of 25
    SomeRandomIdiot

SomeRandomIdiot New Member

Jan 7, 2016
    But again, TiVO USED to hand massage the data and it WAS considerED the best in the Industry, "USED to...and WAS considerED" being the operative words here.

9. PSU_Sudzi

PSU_Sudzi Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    When you say massage it, did they used to go in and remove "new" flags in the guide data and/or check they were all accurate?

10. ej42137

ej42137 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2014
    Los Angeles
    The "new" flag has nothing to do with whether a program will be recorded or not; TiVo considers something new to record if it has an original air date within 28 days and it hasn't been recorded before; and also if there is only generic data for the episode. In this case I see generic data for the 10 PM showing of SNL last Saturday; the original air date for that show is given as 10/11/1975, which is the OAD of the very first episode of SNL. Also the show description is generic: "An ensemble performs sketch comedy." The "new" flag was also missing but as I say that is not used to determine recording status.

Generic data causes a recording because TiVo is being careful to record something whose status is unknown, on the principle that a recording can be deleted but a missed recording is harder to recover from.

I have also seen repeats of SNL getting a new OAD and a "new" flag because they have been reedited, but that's not what happened this week.

One way to sort of avoid the problem is to schedule a manual recording. But you'll still have repeats to delete when SNL is actually a repeat. What I do myself is just delete any 10 PM showing of SNL when there is a 11:30 show on the same day. It's a great hardship but I've learned to deal with it.

11. tampa8

tampa8 Official Tivo User

Jan 25, 2016
    Ct & FL
    This is not a TIVO problem, honestly saying at one time they would have magically "fixed" it is not realistic. That Saturday Night showing records on my DISH receiver, and on my In-Laws Brighthouse receiver. There have been many discussions about this on other forums. Some shows are not flagged correctly from whoever provides the guide, COPS is an example of that. But some shows and many believe Saturday Night Live is one of them, purposely does not flag it as a rerun because it isn't an actual show being shown again, but a "new" compilation. But they stop short of having it actually show as new.

Tivo Receivers like DISH do record when in doubt, meaning they lean towards recording when it isn't certain the show is a rerun.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2016
  12. SomeRandomIdiot

Jan 7, 2016
    Correct...common sense was used as well, voiding out tampa8's response.

13. ej42137

ej42137 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Interesting. Where did they get the data they used to correct the Tribune Media data?

14. tampa8

tampa8 Official Tivo User

Jan 25, 2016
    Ct & FL
    They didn't. His post is contradicted easily....

http://tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=336171

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r24...ss-first-run-setting-is-recording-repeats-too

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=510077

There are more but you get the idea, this has been an ongoing thing not something new. TIVO did not magically fix this. It has cropped up more over the last two or three years on my DISH receiver than it had been in the past but generally affects the same few shows so may be more on TIVO now too. Again, Saturday Night Live it is believed flags it intentionally not to be seen as rerun, there is no way TIVO is going to change that, or did in the past.

There is a way to minimize it, it works but not 100%. Do a search of the show by entering the keyword. Then add a description that matches one that always comes up for the generic rerun such as "An Ensemble performs sketch comedy" for Saturday Night Live, then give it a thumbs down.

Not all shows that record even though they are reruns have a generic description, they may have the same date though.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2016
  15. SomeRandomIdiot

Jan 7, 2016
    Incorrect. In the 2001-2003 era, the TiVo data was manipulated.

That was well known and pointed out on other forums such as AVS as the Gold Standard.

Clearly, by 2007, it was not.

16. TonyD79

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    Yup. And when they stopped doing it, people questioned why they were paying TiVo to give them non-value added data.

17. connie_w

connie_w Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jan 9, 2015
    Arizona
    Interesting. I've been seeing the same thing, except, in my guide, the previously aired SNL often shows as "New". As well, as the later real "New" SNL listing.

18. lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    One problem is some shows don't do an exact repeat, they just show some episodes from the past season like summer 60 minutes does, they will add a few words before each repeat episodes that were not in the original of that segment, like "last September we aired such and such episodes" and than repeat the episode with sometimes a new comment at the end of that episode. This makes it impossible for TiVo to know what to do, so it just records as that is best it can do.

19. SomeRandomIdiot

Jan 7, 2016
    My last experience with TiVo was in that timeframe, prior to adding some Roamios last Fall.

I had *assumed* that TiVo had remained that Gold Standard....as well had cutting edge DVRs.

Imagine my surprise.

:mad:

20. TonyD79

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    TiVo lost the gold standard years ago. Now it is just another Dvr. I last had it about the time they were just starting HD menus. Badly. I'm back now because I lost a battle with a tree and had to drop directv. I'd still be with them if not for that. The only issue I had with Genie was that I had a 34 and it got slow.