Saturday Night Live 5/13/17 S42E20 Melissa McCarthy; Haim

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by SeanC, May 14, 2017.

1. SeanC

SeanC ECT

Dec 30, 2003
    Someplace
    NBC Nightly News and Part Two of Lester Holt's interview with President Donald Trump (Alec Baldwin)
    Melissa McCarthy monologue
    Just Desserts
    Amazon Echo Silver
    White House Press Briefing with Sarah Huckabee Sanders filling in for Sean Spicer (Alec Baldwin)
    Haim performs
    Weekend Update
    ..Top Stories
    ..Pete Davidson
    ..More Top Stories
    ..Cathy Anne
    The Film Society of Lincoln Center
    Leslie and Kyle
    Haim performs
    Jeremy's First Birthday Party
    Lighthouse Features Pitch
    Close "Welcome to the Five Timer's Club" (Steve Martin)

Fell asleep during the cold open. Gonna get coffee now, then I'll get this fleshed out.

ETA: Pretty good over All I think

Last edited: May 14, 2017
  2. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    Good episode. Loved the Sean Spicer thing again. Surprised there's not more discussion here about the episode.

I also think it was interesting that Steve Martin was there to present the "Five-Timer's Club" jacket to Melissa, yet Alec Baldwin, also standing right there, is the person who has hosted more times than anyone else.

3. sfenton

sfenton Active Member TCF Club

Feb 8, 2004
    Acworth Ga
    Colin Jost was on crutches during the close. I wonder if it is a real injury or because he got 'shot' by Kyle.

4. DevdogAZ

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    I wondered that as well. I hope it was just continuing the joke from the earlier piece. That would be a much funnier explanation than that he twisted his ankle or something.

5. TIVO_GUY_HERE

TIVO_GUY_HERE I miss the ocean

Jul 10, 2000
    Dallas Texas
    I think it's part of the joke...

6. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    Baldwin was already on the show. Martin stepping out indicated that it was for the five timers club.

Baldwin even said a line about not wearing his jacket.

7. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    I enjoyed the political parodies, but think that SNL just has not fully realized the comedic minefields there. The show actually was a bit disappointing in that regard after its February hiatus, when there was so much political satire to catch up on. Perhaps it needs Seth Meyers back for that--he seems to be crazed with that, going over and beyond on his own show.

8. RGM1138

RGM1138 I wanna Rock

Oct 6, 1999
    Gulfport, MS
    I haven't watched SNL much since the 90s or so. McCarthy was pretty funny and Haim was was good, but they must have the reverb on their mics cranked to 11.
    WU was humorous, except for Cathy Anne.

9. Regina

Regina I've got Jewbs!

Mar 29, 2003
    Indiana
    I thought the Amazon Echo Silver was HILARIOUS! "I don't know about that!"

"Little Lorne" was so cute-brought back memories of when Jimmy Fallon and Tina Fey had a custody battle over their son, "Lorne." BA HA HA HA!

Melissa seemed genuinely surprised to see Steve Martin. That was cool.

The cold opening was pretty funny-Michael Che was spot-on as Lester Holt. Trump as Nixon! Classic!

Spicer and Trump kissing-I need eye bleach!

Mikeguy likes this.
  10. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    "Promotional consideration paid for by Apple." I don't remember ever seeing something like that before (it was for the Lighthouse sketch, presumably because of the Apple laptop).

11. sfenton

sfenton Active Member TCF Club

Feb 8, 2004
    Acworth Ga
    I was surprised it was before the sketch. Usually those are in the end credits.

12. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    Best sketch of the night.

And true! "Allegra, turn up the heat"

13. DevdogAZ

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    SNL announced not too long ago (earlier this season, I think) that they were going to start having some paid product placement. There have been a few sketches this season where people have wondered whether it was a product placement sketch, but it's always been questionable because the product usually ends up looking bad. But maybe this card before the sketch is the way they're going to let the audience know when those paid placement sketches come up.

14. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    It all sounds and feels tiresomely dodgy. Sigh.

15. dtle

dtle Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2001
    DFW
    I only watch the show on the background, but this caught my eye. I was expecting some Apple product placement. However, the sketch talks about the Dreamworks logo, and had some small snippet of logo. I thought Lighthouse was a fictional film studio, and Apple was erased from my mind until now.

16. EscapeGoat

EscapeGoat wPod TCF Club

Oct 11, 2008
    I didn't watch Haim's second song, but during the first one I kept thinking that they sounded like a Wilson Phillips tribute band.

17. DevdogAZ

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    Regina, realityboy and Mikeguy like this.
  18. Peter000

Peter000 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 15, 2002
    Red Wing, MN
    The Lester Holt guy just does a terrible impression. The one obvious thing Lester Holt does is never stop smiling. It's like his resting face is a little grin that never goes away. The guy doing him never smiled ONCE.

19. DevdogAZ

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    Well, the guy doing him is not really an actor and definitely not an impressionist. It's Michael Che who typically only does Weekend Update. In that article I posted a link to just above your post, he actually says that he was tapped to do Holt to start this season because the cold open for the season opener started with Holt as a moderator of one of the debates and because Jay Pharaoh was no longer with the show or that role would have gone to him.

20. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    How times change. Now how perfect an impression is important on SNL. Sure wasn't for Ford and Chase.

It's interesting.