Saturday Night Live 1/21

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by nataylor, Jan 22, 2006.

1. nataylor

nataylor Curiously Strong TCF Club

Apr 26, 2000
    Houston, TX
    Dear God, that was horrible. The sketches, the host, the camera work, the technical problems. That's the biggest SNL disaster I've ever seen.

2. RegBarc

RegBarc Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2003
    I laughed during the opening skit a little bit, everything after that was downhill. They need to fire the writers, starting with Tina Fey.

They could have done SO much better with the Naighan commen on Chocolate City. They goofed it up pretty well.

3. Gunnyman

Gunnyman Just a boring dude

Jul 10, 2003
    !Texas
    Pirate Convention?
    :(
    :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:
    I turned it off after that skit.

4. Graymalkin

Graymalkin Grumpy Poster

Mar 20, 2001
    Northern...
    Peter Sarsgaard brand SARS Guards. Tina Fey's baby came up with that one.

5. SparkleMotion

SparkleMotion New Member

Feb 2, 2004
    Alive at...
    Despite the technical errors, I somehow got a kick out of the hotel room lost TV remote sketch. I hate those repeating internal telecasts! :)

6. trainman

trainman Nice to see you

Jan 29, 2001
    Sherman...
    That was my favorite sketch, but then, I am 12 years old (which means I also enjoyed Drew Barrymore's walk-on during Weekend Update).

I actually know a former editor of Cat Fancy magazine, so I'll have to tell her to watch this episode when it's rerun, but only that sketch (and only the first 45 seconds, until she gets the gist of it). Presumably, all the cats were distracting them away from the cue cards.

7. dtivouser

dtivouser Tivoless

Feb 10, 2004
    SoCal
    It is really starting to bother me how much they are relying on cue cards on this show. It is really awful when the characters in a skit aren't even looking at each other because they are reading cards-- while the camera angles try to hide this. Memo to NBC: It's REALLY obvious. You aren't fooling anyone. If the guest host can't learn their lines then send them home.

8. edc

edc Active Member

Mar 24, 2002
    Houston
    The writers watched the Halloween episode of "How I Met Your Mother." :)

9. Graymalkin

Graymalkin Grumpy Poster

Mar 20, 2001
    Northern...
    Hell, we came up with better Pirate Convention stuff than they did.

10. jking

jking Become who you are.

Mar 23, 2005
    Kentucky
    I've noticed the reading of the cue cards for years and years, it's nothing new. The difference is that when it's a good skit, you don't notice it as much. Sadly, it's been a long while since we've had the benefit of good skits. :(

11. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    That was my favorite one as well! I always find the sketches to be funniest when something goes wrong and they have to keep from laughing.

Once Peter hit the TV and it went out, they were struggling to figure out what to do. When they finally got the TV working again, it said "VIDEO 1" on the screen for a while, and then in another shot it was showing "1080i" (so at least they're using HD displays ;)).

Pretty funny ... though the tech folks need to keep their heads down so they stop appearing on camera!!

12. IJustLikeTivo

IJustLikeTivo Active Member

Oct 3, 2001
    Gaithersburg...
    Ohmigod that was horrible. Aside from the mildly funny opening it was god awful. I FF most of it till I got to the Pirate thing and then deleted the rest. It would need to improve to be dreck. It has been good at times this year but this sure wasn't one of them.

13. lambertman

lambertman Incrediburgible

Dec 20, 2002
    Indianapolis...
    I liked the Chuck Norris song. That's about it. Can't believe they think Horatio's Carol bit is worth repeating.

14. AJRitz

AJRitz Princess Anti-Santa

Mar 25, 2002
    Overland...
    The writing wasn't particularly good for this ep, but the host really does make a huge difference. Sarsgaard was AWFUL. He's the worst house I've seen on SnL in a very long time. The non-actors they've had were better - at least they can make fun of themselves. This guy was just breathtakingly bad. No sense of comic timing whatsoever, on top of his inability to remember his lines.

15. Vito the TiVo

Vito the TiVo Rockin' the Suburbs

Oct 27, 2003
    Valencia,...
    Did I completely miss that or did they switch it for the west coast? I watched and enjoyed the sketch, however I recall none of that!

16. Jeeters

Jeeters Registered Snoozer

Feb 25, 2003
    PA
  17. dbranco

dbranco Active Member

Nov 20, 2003
    NH
    Looks like the episode where Dane Cook hosted (and gave excellent opening monologue) is repeating this Saturday! Now THAT's one to watch again!

18. tecban

tecban New Member

Oct 10, 2005
    GR, MI
    That is great news! I've been kicking myself for deleting it since I'm still laughing about that turtleneck sweater sketch. :D

19. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    yah, it is a funny concept and iwas thinking my kids would get a kick out of this and then they do animal love :confused: WTF does that have to do with a joke on Pirates liking the letetr R.

SNL is going for that "you have to know what we are making fun of" humor but nobody cares about the stuff they are making inside fun of.

Plus the "I'm Carol" skit they came after - WTF is that annoyingly annoying tripe all about. That is just a caricature of a sick person adn the comedian just puts on a stupid look and delivers his line with a horribly annoying voice. Yeah - massive display of talent that is

20. SparkleMotion

SparkleMotion New Member

Feb 2, 2004
    Alive at...
    Heh...saw on CNN this morning...apparently there actually was some sort of Pirate Convention held over the weekend somewhere (didn't get the details...I was heading out the door for work).