1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Saturday Night Live 1/13/18 S43E12 Sam Rockwell; Halsey

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by SeanC, Jan 14, 2018.

1. SeanC

SeanC ECT

Dec 30, 2003
    Someplace
    Morning Joe (Fred Armisen; Bill Murray)
    Sam Rockwell monologue
    The Science Room with Mr. Science
    Tucci Gang
    The Look
    My Drunk Boyfriend
    Halsey performs
    Weekend Update
    ..Top Stories
    ..Stedman Graham, Oprah Winfrey
    ..More Top Stories
    ..Aidy Bryant
    ..More Top Stories
    ..Lavar Ball
    Peter Pan
    ATM
    Halsey performs
    Marco Pumpgood
    Dog-Head-Guy
    Chantix

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
  2. morac

morac Cat God

Mar 14, 2003
    NJ
    Don’t really have much to say about this other than I think it might have set a record for the number of curse words used, though two of them were apparently done purposely.

3. John Gillespie

John Gillespie Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2016
    I was in another room during the musical numbers. Lorde sounded ok.

4. NorthAlabama

NorthAlabama tabasco rules

Apr 19, 2012
    sweet home, al
    when sam let the f-bomb slip, i hit rrwd to make sure i'd heard what i thought i'd heard! :)

5. Cainebj

Cainebj Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    ME too!

That was Halsey. I don't get her.
    I don't understand why every female pop star these days has to perform in underwear - or in this case Granny panties that she apparently felt the need to cover up with that loud yellow coat...
    I also don't understand why the male dancers in the first song were mauling her and then they repeated it in the second song with the duet partner doing the same thing... I guess she likes being groped by dudes.

6. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Skillful opening number by Sam Rockwell! :)

kettledrum and NorthAlabama like this.
  7. Regina

Regina I've got Jewbs!

Mar 29, 2003
    Indiana
    I about died when Bill Murray "revealed" himself as Steve Bannon! BA HA HA! It was a throwback to the old days of SNL-not a true impersonation, but just poking fun at Steve-that wig-HA! I loved it!

Lots of good laughs but I was surprised at the number of pre-recorded sketches-it is supposed to be Saturday Night LIVE after all-

thewebgal likes this.
  8. gossamer88

gossamer88 UHDTV Snob

Jul 26, 2005
    Da boogie...
    Thought it was painful and had to FF.

The F-bomb was pretty surprising but good lord enough already. This show aire at 11:30pm for chrissake!!

9. sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    It even airs at 8:30 out here now. These words don't bother me, but that's pretty much prime time, so I'm surprised especially for a network (not cable or Premium cable) channel.

10. trainman

trainman Nice to see you

Jan 29, 2001
    Sherman...
    You didn't get them bleeped (actually silenced), as they were here in Los Angeles? NBC apparently has a separate feed of the live "SNL" for Mountain and Pacific stations, which is on a 5-second delay -- obviously, it's possible that your affiliate was accidentally showing the "wrong" version.

(The reason is that the affiliates are potentially subject to FCC fines for language that airs before 10:00.)

11. sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    I actually haven't watched the episode yet. I usually come here and read the episode thread each week before I watch. :D

Ours starts, actually, at 8:29PM for some reason. Now I'll have to make a point of watching it today - soon as I finish with Live PD.

12. verdugan

verdugan Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2003
    Sacramento, CA
    I got the silenced version in Sacramento.

13. trainman

trainman Nice to see you

Jan 29, 2001
    Sherman...
    This has been the case for years: NBC's prime-time programming ends at 10:59:30, and the late-night shows start at 11:34:30 (Monday-Friday) and 11:29:30 (Saturday). They basically took a 30-second commercial out of prime-time and added it to late-night (better demographics, apparently), and sold it to the affiliates as "hey, how'd you like to start your 11:00 news 30 seconds sooner?"

14. dtle

dtle Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2001
    Fram, MA
    I really believe Sam dropped the F-bombed on purpose. He did it to lessen the impact of "Shithole" during Weekend update.

15. Regina

Regina I've got Jewbs!

Mar 29, 2003
    Indiana
    I don't know, he looked awfully upset with himself afterward!

16. mlsnyc

mlsnyc Active Member TCF Club

Dec 2, 2009
    I liked this episode. Plenty of funny moments throughout. Maybe one of the best of this season so far.

I'm also one who doesn't think he dropped the f-bomb on purpose, based on his immediate reaction. But only Rockwell would know if he did so or not.

17. NorthAlabama

NorthAlabama tabasco rules

Apr 19, 2012
    sweet home, al
    i liked the ep, too, one of the few i've watched through to the end this season without my finger on the ffwd button with a hair trigger.

18. thewebgal

thewebgal MacAphile AV geek

Aug 10, 2007
    DC 'burbs
    Well, I ffwded through the musical guest and the tucci-rap number, but we watched most everything else ...
    I've thought the author looked like Fred Aminsen already, so it was sweet having him do that role ...
    And having Darth-bannon revealed to be Murray was superb (I'm a Bill Murray fan anyway)!

19. Hcour

Hcour Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2007
    I also thought it was one of the best eps of the season. I've been a fan of Rockwell for a while; he's a very talented, versatile actor.

Mikeguy likes this.
  20. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    The f-bomb was silenced here in Phoenix.

I was not aware of the song "
    " on which the "Tucci Gang" sketch was based. I think if you're familiar with that song and video, the SNL sketch would be much funnier.

verdugan likes this.