Satellite User, Threshold Limitations

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by trishymouse59, Oct 1, 2015.

1. trishymouse59

trishymouse59 New Member

Oct 1, 2015
    I am contemplating buying a Romaino DVR for over-the-air HD Digital Antennae recording only (NO streaming).

Our only way to get internet is via satellite (we are very rural). They enforce a strict monthly threshold limitation so we must be VERY careful on our data usage.

Does anyone know (or know how to estimate) how much data would be used by TiVo itself, just downloading updates to the dvr?

We need to know that before we buy the dvr so we know if we can 'afford' the data per month.

Thank you for your feedback...

2. jkorman

jkorman New Member

Oct 19, 2015
    We are also satellite internet users. I just activated a new Roamio OTA unit Friday night. It did the normal connecting to activate and get the channels and guide info, it also did a firmware update. It has hardly used any bandwidth so far, it barely registered on the usage meter. I am going to keep my eye on it for a while, though. As long as you stay way from streaming content, I think it will be fine.

Jeff

3. twylie

twylie New Member

Apr 5, 2014
    I just checked my router for the last couple of weeks as I can see usage on a specific local IP address. It looks like on a daily basis, my main unit is using anywhere from 2-5MB / day outside of streaming. I checked days when we did not stream and it was always in the 4 to 5MB / day range with occasional days around 2MB.

4. Series3Sub

Series3Sub Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2010
    That seems pretty significant considering satellite internet caps. Is there a way a sat internet user can limit TiVo access to the wee hours when sat internet providers allow usage not counted against cap?

5. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    If you find 4 or 5MB significant, I hope you have Microsoft updates disabled. It's possible you can pull your internet connection to the TiVo every day. Look at the System Information screen to see how often and when the TiVo connects. There is the service connection and the VCM connections. The VCM connections are frequent, from one to 4 hours, sometimes longer. If you plug into the internet only during off-peak times the TiVo will compensate. Again, you can check the System Information or Internet Connections for the scheduled times.

My router can also schedule off times. Perhaps you have something similar?

6. tarheelblue32

tarheelblue32 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    5MB/day is significant? Really? What the heck is your data cap?