Satellite User, Threshold Limitations

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by trishymouse59, Oct 1, 2015.

1. trishymouse59

trishymouse59 New Member

Oct 1, 2015

Advertisements

I am contemplating buying a Romaino DVR for over-the-air HD Digital Antennae recording only (NO streaming).

Our only way to get internet is via satellite (we are very rural). They enforce a strict monthly threshold limitation so we must be VERY careful on our data usage.

Does anyone know (or know how to estimate) how much data would be used by TiVo itself, just downloading updates to the dvr?

We need to know that before we buy the dvr so we know if we can 'afford' the data per month.

Thank you for your feedback...

2. PSU_Sudzi

PSU_Sudzi Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Philly suburbs
    You should do a search of the forums here to see if there is an estimate of how much data is downloaded by the box, my guess is it's pretty limited. I know it had been asked before. I do know the TiVo connects frequently to refresh.

3. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    You haven't specified your caps, but here are my observations from this morning's MTD usage:

Daily update and VCM Connection:
    before .202GB up, .902MB down
    after .207GB up, .922 down

Forced rebuild of entire guide:
    after .208GB up, .943GB up

So the amount on a day-to-day operation is very small and above includes accessing the IPS's web site for the data. The periodic firmware updates probably use something in the low MB range. My ISP allocates 500GB per month on my 30Mbps line. Satellite must really suck.

You should delete your thread in the Roamio thread. Just click on Edit.

4. trishymouse59

trishymouse59 New Member

Oct 1, 2015
    Thanks, everyone - I think that is enough to help me make my decision...

HOWEVER, if someone else reading this has even more input that could be helpful, please don't hesitate to chime in - I'd truly appreciate it.

Trish