Satellite dish question & wiring

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by grecorj, Feb 2, 2006.

1. grecorj

grecorj Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2002
    CT
    Ok, so as you may have seen in my other recent thread I need to replace my satellite dish.

Question 1: If I'm not moving to HDTV immediately, I don't need a Phase III/3-LNB dish, correct? I could just get a round/2-LNB dish and then upgrade the dish later (I know, I know, not very good long-term planning). I'm probably not getting a HDTV tv for at least 1 year.

Question 2: If Directv offers me the Phase III/3-LNB dish, do I have to run 4 lines from it now, or can I just run 2 lines from the dish to my 3x8 multiswitch? (or run 4 lines, but only connect 2 to the multiswitch). Will this work?

I have a 3x8 multiswitch, which will suit my current purposes, so I'd like to avoid buying a 5x8 multiswitch if I don't have to.

Thanks!

2. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    The Phase III dish has its own multiswitch, so any that you add must be cascadeable. You can get by with a round, dual-LNB dish for now, if you can find one. I think you'd be fine running two lines from the Phase III as long as you told your receivers that you had a round dish. If you tell it you have a multi-sat dish, them you need four lines run.

DirecTV will, I think, not offer you anything except the new 5-LNB dish.

3. beartrap

beartrap Member

Nov 8, 2005
    I've only got three lines run from a Phase III/3-LNB dish (and that's the dish I told the receiver that I had) and it works fine. Like OP, I'm in New England and I don't do HD, but I need to have the Phase III dish in order to get locals from D*. I think the answer to OP's question #1 depends on whether or not he wants locals from D*, and if so what sat his locals are on.

4. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    The question regarding lines run was regarding connecting to a 3x8 multiswitch. Certainly if you're just running lines directly to receivers, you can run any number from 1 to 4.

Good point about the locals.

5. SeattleCarl

SeattleCarl New Member

Nov 10, 2005
    It is possible to run just 2 lines from the oval 3-LNB dish to a multiswitch, however you will only be able to get the 101 satellite, which is of course all you are getting from the round dish.
    -
    So for your specific application, and to continue using your existing multiswitch and wiring, it is possible to do it. However you will not be able to access the other satellites (mostly spanish language, HD, and local channels for some locations).
    -
    If you upgrade in the future, you would have to run the additional 2 lines and upgrade your multiswitch.
    -
    Carl

6. grecorj

grecorj Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2002
    CT
    Ok, sounds good.

I'll probably run 4 lines from dish location (roof) to multiswitch (basement) for future HD, but just use 2 for now. I get the NY locals so everything is on the 101 satellite, I believe. If DTV insists on giving me the 5 LNB dish I'll let them worry about replacing my multiswitch.

Thanks, guys.

7. Finnstang

Finnstang King of the North

Sep 11, 2003
    Winterfell
    If DIRECTV is doing the install, then they would be upgrading the multiswitch as part of the offer anyway if it is needed.