SAT-T60 sits powered off for 9mos, now NO BOOT?

Discussion in 'TiVo Underground' started by zeek, Feb 21, 2006.

1. zeek

zeek l:user

Nov 15, 2002

Advertisements

I placed my DirecTV subscription on hold for the past nine months, and my Sony SAT-T60 sat in an undisturbed location powered off during that time. Last weekend I hooked it back up, and it reboots at the "almost there" screen, sometimes after sitting at a GSOD for five to ten minutes.

I placed the original drive back in (single) and it works. I put the dual drives in, but powered them with external power from a nearby computer, still no boot. MFS is still in tact and can be read via KILL_INITRD INFO.

What could cause this? The unit was not placed near any magnets, and it was not bumped or knocked around at any time. I simply unplugged it, and let it sit for nine months.

thanks,
    Isaac

2. litzdog911

litzdog911 TechKnow Guide

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
    I guess that powering it up after 9 months was enough to damage one of the drives.

3. zeek

zeek l:user

Nov 15, 2002
    I suppose that's one explanation...
    The drives passed the WD diagnostics. I copied the contents to two new drives and experienced the same thing.

MFSTOOL reports something's corrupted, as is the 2nd copy (contrary to my statement above). Is there anyway to repair or am I just stuck with re-imaging the drives?
    I know there's a 'fix' for people who have destroyed their boot sector by booting into Windows, I wonder if this would do anything for me.