SAT-T60 Dying. Any Way To Keep It?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by DocDoc, Mar 18, 2011.

1. DocDoc

DocDoc New Member

Mar 18, 2011

Advertisements

After more than a decade of loyal service my SAT-T60 is on its last legs. The hard drive is dying. I purchased another unit on eBay, but found out that I cannot activate it because it does not have an RID.

From what I can gather by searching these forums, I can swap out the hard drives and call DirecTV to activate the machine again, but I am worried that the reboot will require me to be connected to a phone line. I gave up my house line awhile ago and the TiVo still functions. It just reminds me every morning that I haven't made a call in 1,200 days.

My plan has been to hold out until the new HD DirecTV TiVo comes out, but I am losing patience. If I can salvage my current set-up I can live with it for now. If I can't, what is my best option with DirecTV HD DVR's?

Thank you for your time.

2. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    You can take the repaired box to someone else's house with a landline and a TV and do the activation thing. Satellite connection not required.

But HD is nice and DirecTV may give you a good deal on a new HD DVR. In my opinion, once you have had it for a while you'll wonder why you waited so long.

Holding out for the mythical new HD DTiVo seems a losing proposition to me.

3. sbourgeo

sbourgeo Hepcat Daddio

Nov 10, 2000
    New England
    A while back I was able to swap out my old basic STB for a DSR6000 without having to deal with DirecTV at all since all were non-RID. I just put the access card from my old STB into the new DSR6000 and used the "Reauthorize My Receiver" functionality at directv.com and it's been working like a charm ever since.

Not sure if you need a phone line to set up the new SAT-T60 for your zip code though...