Sat 2 In comes and goes

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by Porterx, Oct 3, 2007.

1. Oct 3, 2007 #1 of 10
    Porterx

Porterx Member

Sep 7, 2002
    NW Florida
    I have 2 samsung directivo's. One of them has developed a problem that I need help with.

On one of the directivo's, Sat 2 In (while looking at the test satellite strength screen) has good signal strength for a few seconds then no signal strength. This doesn't happen on all transponders just some of them. The other directivo doesn't have this problem.

I've proven it is in the directivo by swapping the coax coming from the dish between the directivo's and between sat 1 in and sat 2 in on the problem tivo. The problem always stays with the problem directivo.

Does anyone have an answer? Could I have a bad solder joint at Sat 2 In? I've wriggled the cable around and I can't tell if it has an effect or not. I have been hooking/unhooking the directivo's lately while upgrading. Maybe I knocked something loose.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Porter

2. Oct 3, 2007 #2 of 10
    innocentfreak

innocentfreak Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    One of my RCA models is doing the same thing. When I called Directv they had me check transponder 1 and 2 which both show in the 90s and fine so they wouldn't do anything. I was getting a message searching for signal on satellite 2 and when I checked signal strength I found it wildly fluctuating but staying solid on satellite 1. I swapped the cables and sat 2 was solid and sat 1 was fluctuating.

Now I haven't tried swapping the cables with one of the other boxes to see if it is the cable or the box.

3. Oct 3, 2007 #3 of 10
    JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    More information is needed. What dish and do you have an external multiswitch. If the problem persists on the same tuner after swapping cable, then you have a cable or LNB/multiswitch problem. If you have a multiswitch, try bypassing it.

4. Oct 3, 2007 #4 of 10
    Porterx

Porterx Member

Sep 7, 2002
    NW Florida
    I have the tri-oval dish with built-in switch so taking that out of the path doesn't seem to be an option.

I would think that if I swapped the cables and the problem stayed with the tuner, that the problem would be the tuner. Please correct me.

Thanks, Porter

5. Oct 3, 2007 #5 of 10
    JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    True. Can you try a different output from the dish?
    There are also a couple of threads here that concern the Tuner 2 problem when using the s-video output. It's basically for the HDVR2 unit however. But, try using a different output to the TV.

I was replying to innocentfreak's post.

6. Oct 3, 2007 #6 of 10
    IcedTivo

IcedTivo TiVo Nut

Apr 6, 2002
    State of...
    Interesting... Since the last update, I occasionally (rarely, like once a week) get a searching for signal on Sat2 thing but a reboot always fixes it. Also get frequent short duration black screen and weird colors for a few seconds on almost every recording (i never watch live tv) and an occasional stuck recording on a channel I don't receive like HBO or whatever. Dunno if there is a fix in the works for that stuff.

7. Oct 3, 2007 #7 of 10
    Porterx

Porterx Member

Sep 7, 2002
    NW Florida
    Wow. Sure is funny that I went back to s-video today and the problem started today. Do you have a link to a post discussing this s-video tuner 2 problem?

Thanks,
    Porter

8. Oct 3, 2007 #8 of 10
  9. Oct 4, 2007 #9 of 10
    Porterx

Porterx Member

Sep 7, 2002
    NW Florida
    Thanks to JimSpence for the links to my problem.

Well, I have the s-video problem and more. I definetely have the problem that having more than 1 video output in use causes the pixelation on tuner 2.

I've had to go back to rf on my main tv because that's the only thing that my modulator outputs. It takes only composite in and only has rf out. That's how I was getting tivo to the back of the house. I was and am again splitting the rf from the modulator and sending 1 to the main tv and the other to the back of the house.

Hooking up any combination of audio doesn't seem to affect pixelation. Just video. I guess what I need is some kind of splitter that takes s-video in and outputs composite and s-video. Next choice would be 1 composite in and 2 composite out. I'm sure I'll have better luck finding the latter.

I planned to get an HDTV soon and to keep the SD Tivos for awhile. This really screws that plan up.

Are there any Tivos with HDMI outputs that work with DirecTV?

Suggestions appreciated.

Thanks,
    Porter

10. John T Smith

John T Smith New Member

Jun 17, 2004
    Vancouver WA
    >Tivos with HDMI outputs that work with DirecTV

You may download manuals here and read about the various models
    http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/customer/downloadPage.jsp?assetId=1100066

I think the HR10-250 does that... but check that forum (and ebay)

DTivo HD - the HR10-250 Forum
    http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=36

Searching for HR10-250 on eBay
    http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?from=R40&_trksid=m37&satitle=hr10-250&category0=

Where do I buy a DirecTv Tivo? BEFORE you buy a used DTivo,
    get the ID Number from the seller and call DirecTv to ensure
    there is not an outstanding balance on the seller's account,
    since DirecTV will NOT activate such a receiver!
    http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=316297