SAppered 240 TiVo Questions

Discussion in 'TiVo Underground' started by Rushingjs, Jul 28, 2007.

1. Rushingjs

Rushingjs New Member

Jan 14, 2007

Advertisements

I could be missing something here, as I'm new to all of this, but I'm trying to get an understanding on a few points.

1) It is to my understanding that TiVo has a self-check system that examines the file system and deletes any files that shouldn't be there.

2) When you "hack" your TiVo, you kill the process that does this examination, and therefore are allowed to modify the files without them getting deleted by the TiVo.

The reason I ask, is that I recently did use the SApper to try and hack my tivo. I also have tried (to some extent) to add some wired usb adapter drivers (Linksys USB200M v2 or 2.1, as I'm not exactly sure), but when I did, I rebooted the drive and looked at the file system, and all of the files that I had put on the drive were gone.

Can anybody point me in the right direction?

2. Da Goon

Da Goon Registered Abuser

Oct 22, 2006
    1) Correct.
    2) Also, correct. That's the basic hack that MUST be accomplished.

How did you look at the filesystem? By pulling the drive and mounting it in an pc?? If so be sure to mount the correct/active partition. If you checked over bash, then bash running is simply enough proof that you successfully disabled the initrd check.

3. Rushingjs

Rushingjs New Member

Jan 14, 2007
    I looked at the file system through a pc. what partition should i be looking for? Also, I have a null serial cable... with this work to try and get a bash, or do I need a special cable? Sorry about the primitive questions, but I am trying to learn as much as I can. I'll pull the drive agian and see if I cant look at a different partition. If I'm correct, they are located in the /dev directory?

Thank you for your help!

4. Da Goon

Da Goon Registered Abuser

Oct 22, 2006
    Your tivo disk has 2 root partitions, 4 and 7. Only one is in use at a time. To find out which is the current active partition, do
    Code:
    bootpage -p /dev/hdX
    where X is the location of the drive in the pc, hda, hdb, etc. That will return "root=/dev/hdaX ....." where X is 4 or 7. Mount the partition the bootpage command returns. To use your serial cable for bash, use these instructions : http://www.geocities.com/mlm19811999/tivo_serial_bash.html

5. Rushingjs

Rushingjs New Member

Jan 14, 2007

Advertisements

Ok, I have finally gained a serial bash promt and installed the enhancement script. However, now it seems that my usb ports are completely dead as I have a USB200M and a DLink that are both compatible, that dont even light up. could this possibly be a driver issue with Jaime's drivers being copied over in the script? Also, I'm unsure as to how to get TivoWebPlus or Hackman working (as in where I can actually see the program and manipulate it)

You've helped alot, and I appreciate your time.

6. JWThiers

JWThiers Smartypants

Apr 12, 2005
    Cocoa, Florida
    Disclaimer:
    I don't have an SA tivo so my advice in actual hardware is strictly in general terms so more assistance searching may be needed, and also I have never actually had any driver issues so I don't know from personal experience how to fix these issues.

advice/answers
    Yes if the ethernet adapters were working before and not working now it sounds like a driver issue, you might need to revert back to the stock drivers (How? I don't know the name of the file but do a search on usb drivers and that should get some reading). As to accessing TWP and Hackman, first you need a working ethernet adapter (see above) then in a web browser (ie, firefox etc, Thats why it is called tivo WEB plus) enter the IP address of your tivo in the address bar and TWP should show up.

7. Rushingjs

Rushingjs New Member

Jan 14, 2007
    I found the following code in my bootpage bash log:

Code:
    usb.c: USB device 2 (vend/prod 0x13b1/0x18) is not claimed by any active driver
    Any Ideas? This should be for the Linksys USB200M v2 (as thats the only thing that is connected to my USB ports) and shouldnt Jaime's backport drivers pick this up?

Thanks for the help!

8. rbautch

rbautch User

Feb 5, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    That message is normal and can be ignored. First determine which adapter you have - in the OP you werent sure if you had a v2 or v2.1. The script installs Jamies backported drivers that support v2 only. I'm not sure if v2.1 is supported by backported or stock drivers. If that's not the problem, then my guess is that something went wrong when you tried to install new backported drivers over the existing ones that were already there. If you can't figure out where you went wrong, my advice is to pull the drive and run
    Code:
    ./sapper restore
    which will revert your tivo to stock by restoring your backed up alternate partitions. Then see if any of your adapters work with stock drivers. If they do try running the sapper again, and this time don't mess with the drivers. Make sure that when the tivo boots for the first time, it reboots automatically before trying to connect. Oh, and tell us what tivo software you're running.

9. Rushingjs

Rushingjs New Member

Jan 14, 2007
    Ok, I looked low and high for the version number and wouldn't ya know it? its right on the adapter (sigh) I have version 2.1, which is probably not good as far as having drivers that are available for linux/tivo.

I have software version 7.2.0-oth-01-2-140. Before I ran the SApper I had 8x so when I did run the SApper and it asked me if I had Software 8x i said yes.

I'm going to wait for your reply before I do anything more because I have a hunch that the difference in adapter versions is probably the culpret here and I probably need to go buy a different adapter (which isnt good since I dont have alot of money :( )

But thanks for the help and any other future input.

10. Rushingjs

Rushingjs New Member

Jan 14, 2007
    Well I dont know if this necessarily means anything, but I looked on www.tivo.com/adapters and it says that the USB200M V2.1 is supported on stock Tivo Software as long as you have version 7.2.2 or later. Since i have version 7.2.2-oth-01-2-140 I'm going to assume it should be compatible with the stock software. I'll try resappering it and when I run the enhancement scrip, I'll choose not to install the backport driver. I'll let you know what I get.

11. Rushingjs

Rushingjs New Member

Jan 14, 2007
    Well no luck. And this truly makes no sense, cause Tivo says that it is supported and tested to work with 7.2.2 software! But nowhere in the USb.map file does it have my specific USB200M V2.1 (13b1/0018) It has V2.0 but not 2.1 I wonder if someone could get me the stock drivers from a tivo that has 8x running on it.

Or another thought of mine, is a PPP connection (I dont have a land line) to update my Tivo?

12. Rushingjs

Rushingjs New Member

Jan 14, 2007
    ahhh My problem is finally solved. And it turns out that it was an "External User Error" As I was a moron and was using my switch. I'm using comcast so i only get one mac address so in order to use a switch I would probably have to set my Tivo's mac to that address. Even then.. i doubt it would have worked and dont know what I was thinking.

So I hooked it up to my router and all is well!

Thanks to everybody that gave up their precious time to help me. I really appreciate this community, as this is just a ton of fun... it really is.

Thanks!