Santa Clarita Diet Season 1 Spoilers

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by aadam101, Feb 4, 2017.

1. Feb 4, 2017 #1 of 36
    aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts

Advertisements

I was doing something else and I left it on the background all night. I watched the whole thing. I don't know how I feel about it. It was a little bit too bloody for me. I watch The Walking Dead and I'm never bothered by the blood and guts there. There is something about seeing all the goriness against such a clean sterile background that grossed me out.

The show is more like Desperate Housewives than Walking Dead. I did like a lot of the guest stars. It was great to see Portia De Rossi.

rahnbo likes this.
  2. Feb 4, 2017 #2 of 36
    ClutchBrake

ClutchBrake Pass the gravy!

Sep 5, 2001
    Orange...
    Watched the first episode last night. Loved Timothy Olyphant, of course. In fact I thought everyone was pretty solid. Except Drew Barrymore. She's just not a good actress, and it really shows when playing opposite Olyphant. Really want to watch it but not sure I can deal with Barrymore. Will give it another episode or two.

rahnbo likes this.
  3. Feb 4, 2017 #3 of 36
    rahnbo

rahnbo Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Greenville, SC
    I've only watched two and was sorta interested I guess because my wife is. If they can get some answers as to WHY this is happening then perhaps it will be a good show. Otherwise it is just a show about sudden onset cannibalism and a family that just sorta say's, "Oh well, guess mom in a cannibal now."

4. Feb 5, 2017 #4 of 36
    madscientist

madscientist Deregistered Snoozer

Nov 12, 2003
    Lexington, MA
    "Sudden onset cannibalism"? Ha. They do go into some "why" by the end of the first season.

We binged this in two days which, even though it's only about 5 hours (10 30 minute episodes), is unusual for us: we loved it all. Olyphant is absolutely amazing and Abby and Eric (the kids) were a riot. I think Barrymore was good... she had a more difficult role in some ways.

Portia was great as was Natalie Morales. I enjoyed seeing Ryan Hansen, Nathan, Patton... heck just about everyone was on this show! I'll bet they had a lot of fun making it.

The only downside is the ending which was a little too cliffhanger-y for me; I like seasons with more well-defined endings.

5. Feb 5, 2017 #5 of 36
    Cainebj

Cainebj Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York

Advertisements

I binged the whole thing yesterday - 10 half hour episodes - not hard to do.
    I agree I thought everyone was great.
    I always like Olyphant - it's nice to see him doing something along the lines of comedy.
    The kids are great - especially the kid playing Eric - I thought Barrymore was OK too.
    I didn't feel the same about Portia De Rossi - I've never thought she was good in anything.
    I kind of agree - it is very Desperate Housewifey.
    And it is not original - iZombie pretty much is the same story.
    I do wish they had waited longer to introduce the Zombie aspect - I think they moved on that twist a little quick.

6. Feb 5, 2017 #6 of 36
    gossamer88

gossamer88 UHDTV Snob

Jul 26, 2005
    Da Bronx
    I'm half-way through, but not sure if I'm going to continue. Maybe with the Portia De Rossi comments, I will.

It's just not working for me. My buddy mentioned Pushing Daisies. I never saw that. I do like the kids though.

7. Feb 6, 2017 #7 of 36
    Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I'm through three episodes so far and I'm not really a zombie genre fan, but I'm enjoying this. The humor is droll enough to not be over the top. Olyphant playing a comedic part is perfect casting, as I always picture him in serious roles. I like the daughter too. Has Molly Ringwald meets the girl from Suburgatory vibe. (I don't know if it's intentional but her male friend seems a lot like Justin Long and the gf (at least the one in E3) seems very much like 80s Phoebe Cates). I'll definitely finish this one up and from there decide if I'm in for S2, but so far, so good.

VegasVic likes this.
  8. Feb 6, 2017 #8 of 36
    aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    I agree but since this is Netflix it's very likely to get a second season. This kind of ending would frustrate me on network TV for sure.

9. Feb 6, 2017 #9 of 36
    madscientist

Nov 12, 2003
    Lexington, MA
    I think it will get a second season. But even if I know a show will be picked up, I still prefer a little more season-ending closure, where most of the plotlines are resolved rather than feeling like they just ended in the middle of everything.

Even so, I really enjoyed this a lot. I'm definitely in for S2.

10. BrandonRe

BrandonRe Well-Known Member

Jul 14, 2006
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I was telling my wife this morning that it made me think of "Pushing Daisies". I think it's the juxtaposition of normalcy against the absurd horror.

11. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    I've only seen the first episode, but I have to disagree with just about everybody (so far, at least)...Olyphant is for me the weak link. Which is surprising, because he's usually the best thing in anything he's in. But he just doesn't seem very comfortable with the comedy...at times he's hamming it up too much. It's like he doesn't really think it's funny, so he's faking it.

It's by no means enough to ruin the show...I still like it after one episode. But I'm just surprised not to think much of Olyphant, for the first time ever. Hopefully, he settles in as the show progresses...

12. madscientist

Nov 12, 2003
    Lexington, MA
    We watched the first 3 or 4 episodes in one sitting so I can't really remember a specific impression of Olyphant's character after just one episode. But I thought he was excellent overall, so maybe it was just "pilot jitters".

13. Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    Finished the binge this weekend. I liked it overall. Got a bit silly, but I guess that's to be expected. My favorite part of the whole season is how they tried to interject the normalcy of their life into everything that was going on. There were a lot of one liners like that all through the series. Looking forward to S2.

14. goblue97

goblue97 Welcome Home, Jimmy!

May 12, 2005
    Michigan
    I would say he did settle in. Even though I thought he did just fine in the first episode. He was the high point for me in this show.

Have you watched anymore and if so, has your opinion changed at all?

15. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    I did, and it didn't. He was definitely the weak point, although not so weak as to ruin the show. But it was as if he was in a different show...he was in a broad comedy, and everybody else was in an Arrested Development-style deadpan comedy. At times, it was very distracting. He just didn't seem to be taking it as seriously as the rest of the cast.

16. Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    To be fair, AD had it's share of broad comedy (I'm thinking of Jobe and David Cross's character who's name escapes me at the moment). I thought Olyphant got better as the show moved along.

VegasVic likes this.
  17. ClutchBrake

ClutchBrake Pass the gravy!

Sep 5, 2001
    Orange...
    Tobias Funke, M.D.
    ANALRAPIST

18. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Yes, but in AD it was always done very deadpan. Olyphant kept slipping into ham mode. And I don't think he improved at all.

Not that he was awful. Just that, as I said, he sometimes seemed to be acting in a different show.

19. goblue97

goblue97 Welcome Home, Jimmy!

May 12, 2005
    Michigan
    I couldn't disagree more. Without him I would say this show was less than average (although the neighbor's son did a pretty good job too). But then again, I'm no film critic.

20. TIVO_GUY_HERE

TIVO_GUY_HERE I miss the ocean

Jul 10, 2000
    Dallas Texas
    Announced 2nd season to start filming this summer

Agatha Mystery likes this.