Sandwich King episode 1 (spoilers)

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by dthmj, Aug 22, 2011.

1. dthmj

dthmj Hinky TCF Club

Mar 12, 2002
    Texas
    Just watched Jeff's (The Next Food Network Star winner) show Sandwich King. It was ok. Not great, not bad. The food looked/sounded good, and I could see me trying to make that sandwich (italian beef, the other one not so much).

I thought Jeff had some awkward moments in front of the camera.. sometimes it was obvious he was looking at the teleprompter and not the camera - it was like he was looking over my head.

I didn't think he had a great connection with the store owner - though I do think that can be an interesting part of the show.

The part where he was talking about going to eat, and being dirty and his mom scolding him... then taking a drink of the wine - the whole thing just fell flat to me. I think it was supposed to be funny, but I thought it felt forced. Probably a good concept, just didn't come across well to me in that instance.

I have a season pass set, and I'll probably watch it again.

In other news, I'm looking forward to The Pioneer Woman.

2. sushikitten

sushikitten LivingLippy.com TCF Club

Jan 27, 2005
    Chicago-ish...
    If you've seen the behind-the-scenes type show about Giada, she was really rough at the beginning...but look what happened with her! Hopefully they'll give him a decent chance.

3. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    This one seemed more polished than past NFNS premiere episodes ... maybe that was because of the off-site diner segments.

4. CatScratchFever

CatScratchFever Guest

Apr 14, 2011
    Prescott AZ
    I used to work down the street from the beef joint that he went to, that is where I learned to properly order a beef sandwich. They also have the best Italian Ice!

My wife is making the beef tomorrow, it did look pretty darn good. Overall I think it wasn't too bad for a first EP, should get much better.

Oh, that other sandwich he made? No thanks!

5. WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    New Jersey
    I liked it, but I agree, there were some awkward moments. I liked the idea of making the Italian beef at home, but reallly, who wants to spend 4 hours cooking to make a sandwich?

6. dbranco

dbranco Active Member

Nov 20, 2003
    NH
    I thought he seemed really nervous, which is understandable for his first show. He seemed to follow the "Food Network Star" formula: telling the personal story, describing the taste in each bite, etc. The beef sandwich sounded good, but imho sandwiches are "quick meals" and I'd never make a sandwich that takes hours of preparation like this one. If all of his sandwiches had a 30-minute-or-less prep time, I'd be more inclined to season-pass the show.

I expect he'll improve tremendously as his season progresses, and I think I'll watch it again in the future, just to see that -- not necessarily for the sandwiches he's making.

7. sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    I can't even imagine how difficult it must be to put out a very smooth and interesting show. I think he did pretty well. Some of the others were more rough and have done well. I think Jeff will be ok as he settles in. Did he gain weight? He looks kind of larger to me than I recall him looking during competition. Maybe it's just me.

Melissa D'Arabian is one I never thought I would watch (plus I was rooting for Jeffrey Saad, who has his own show too, to win) because she was so frenetic. She made me feel anxious. Now, however, she really does a very good job. I kept my season pass to her show and still watch. I think she looks so lovely since she let her hair grow a bit longer too. She is very pleasant to watch and definitely knowledgeable.

8. sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    PS: Does every body else's Tivo Guide show the same episode for next Sunday? I don't get why they would be showing ep#1 twice in a row. Or is my Tivo Guide just screwed up?

9. justen_m

justen_m Cheesehead

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID
    I've got a season pass but haven't watched it yet... but as for a long time to make a sandwich... things like a BBQ brisket or pulled pork for a sandwich take many hours to cook, but very little actual prep time. When making Italian beef for sandwiches, I braise it for a long time (2-4 hours), but the actual time I spend in the kitchen is 10-20 minutes.

This is true for many of the pre-cooked things people put in sandwiches, like smoked meats and cheeses, dry cured salami, cold cuts, etc, or even homemade meatloaf or meatballs.

I think I might save up a bunch of episodes and watch a few at a time. I think his improvement from show-to-show might be more noticeable this way.

10. CatScratchFever

CatScratchFever Guest

Apr 14, 2011
    Prescott AZ
    I came home yesterday to a home that smelled quite delicious. Yes, the sandwich king beef sandwich was served and I have to say it was very good. More of a pulled beef than an Italian beef but nevertheless, it was tasty.

Props to Mrs. Fever!

11. bengalfreak

bengalfreak Active Member

Oct 20, 2002
    Yes, but she was beautiful, not to mention chesty, to get her by until she got the hang of it. Sandwich King? Not so much.

12. Demandred

Demandred RPSLS Champion

Mar 6, 2001
    Houston, TX, US
    He is kind of chesty... :D

13. justen_m

justen_m Cheesehead

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID
    I finally watched this episode, I think. The episode I saw, he made a gyro (lamb taco, with tzatziki and cucumber/tomato/red onion relish) and Italian beef sandwich (grilled ribeye sandwich with sauteed spinach), right? Both of those sandwiches were way under 30 minutes. Was four hours just a gross exaggeration? Or are we talking about different episodes?

The lamb taco is something I have made before, and mine was very similar to his. I did like the idea of making a relish with the tomato/cucumber/red onion.

That said, I wouldn't have called the first sandwich Itallian beef. Maybe an Italian style steak sandwich. To me, Italian beef is shredded beef made from large, cheap, tough cuts, like a chuck roast or round roast, slowly braised in a flavorful liquid (say beef broth, with some onions, peppers, tomatoes, oregano, rosemary), topped with pickled peppers (banana and/or jalapeno).

[edit] I watched this at my parents' house on their Dish DVR. I think the guide data was messed up. I'll have to see what I have on my Tivo.

14. dbranco

dbranco Active Member

Nov 20, 2003
    NH
    The 4 hours was referring to the prep time to cook the beef.

Not sure if you saw the same episode everyone's referring to. The second sandwich was "Mortadella and Fig Focaccianini".

15. dthmj

dthmj Hinky TCF Club

Mar 12, 2002
    Texas
    That's not the episode we've been talking about. My dvr didn't record the latest one - not sure why. So I've only seen the one episode, and I haven't seen one with any sort of lamb.

16. balboa dave

balboa dave well rounded

Jan 19, 2004
    Newport...
    The 4 hours also was for 4 lbs. of beef. That's a lot of sandwiches. Cook on Sunday, lunches all week.

17. CatScratchFever

CatScratchFever Guest

Apr 14, 2011
    Prescott AZ
    Ep from this past Sunday was a repeat of last weeks show.

18. justen_m

justen_m Cheesehead

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID
    Strange. I recorded it manually on my parents' DishDVR. The Dish guide data showed the description for the show was the Italian Beef and mortadella fig sandwiches, and it said episode 1, but it showed an original air date of 8/28/2011. It got recorded, and it was the lamb taco and steak sandwich I mentioned above.

So, two different episodes have aired. I haven't yet seen the one described in the OP, and it doesn't sound like anybody else has seen the one that I have. I wonder what my Tivo will have on it (I've been away from my Tivo a couple weeks).

The next episode I see in he Dish guide data is 9/04, for cod sliders with sweet potato fries, labelled as episode 3. I think the guide data was just screwed up on Dish. I recorded it thinking it was a repeat so I could see it in HD (I don't have HD cable) but it looks like it really was ep 2 with bad guide data.

19. WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    New Jersey
    No it wasn't. The title was wrong. The episode this past Sunday was new with the Gyro and a Chicago steak dinner sandwich.

The 4 hours I mentioned was for the Italian beef sandwich. It was not an exaggeration, he literally had to cook the meat in the oven for 3-4 hours.

20. Mr. Soze

Mr. Soze Back by popular demand

Nov 1, 2002
    The 75006...
    The Italian Beef show was the only one I have seen, and I enjoyed it. I will keep the SP.