Sanctuary S4E01 "Tempus" 8/07/20011

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Eddief66, Oct 9, 2011.

1. Oct 9, 2011 #1 of 21
    Eddief66

Eddief66 Member

Oct 24, 2009
    Corpus...
    Did anyone watch this? The ending didn't even make sense! Future Magnus is just supposed to wait around in seclusion until present day???!!! There's just one problem with that..... THERE"S ANOTHER MAGNUS! The only way it would work would be if future Magnus kills the other Magnus and takes her place and I don't think that's going to happen.

2. Oct 9, 2011 #2 of 21
    Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    What's the problem?

Magnus A (the original) lives from 1890 to the present. She then goes back to 1890 as Magnus B, and lives from then to the present in seclusion. There are two Magni, but the world only knows about A, since B is hiding. When Magnus A goes back to the past, Magnus B takes over.

It's a very Gordian solution to how she gets back to the present. :D

3. Oct 9, 2011 #3 of 21
    Eddief66

Eddief66 Member

Oct 24, 2009
    Corpus...
    I didn't think about that. :eek:

4. Oct 9, 2011 #4 of 21
    Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    What will be interesting is to see if they do much (if anything) with the notion that the "new" Magnus is somebody who hasn't seen the other cast members in over a century, and hasn't been involved in running Sanctuary for that long. It could be a very interesting plot point...if they don't just gloss it over, as I fear they will.

5. Oct 9, 2011 #5 of 21
    eddyj

eddyj Señor Member TCF Club

Jun 20, 2002
    South Florida
    Yeah, she will suddenly acquire 100+ years of memories.

6. Oct 9, 2011 #6 of 21
    john4200

john4200 Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2009
    It must have been difficult to stay away when Helen's daughter was getting destroyed. It would be so tempting to pop in and save her.

7. Oct 9, 2011 #7 of 21
    Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    And everybody else will be strangers to her. The interpersonal dynamics should change dramatically.

8. eddyj

Jun 20, 2002
    South Florida
    No, she already knows all of them, from before she left. She just gets an extra 100 years of memories from her "vacation". And things in the "near past" will be 100 years in the past. But she still has all the memories of the Magnus that left, since it is herself.

9. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Well, people I knew 25 years ago are strangers to me...I can only imagine what it would be like after another century!

Will: "Hey, Helen, remember that crazy thing that happened last week?"

Helen: "Um, no, not really..."

10. eddyj

Jun 20, 2002
    South Florida
    Yeah, but you are just a random loser on an Internet board, while she is Dr. Helen Magnus! :p

11. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    How DARE you call me random!

12. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Or:

That's DR. random loser on an Internet board to YOU!

13. ehusen

ehusen Geek not Nerd

Jan 7, 2002
    Chicago Suburbs
    Of course it's the same old paradox issue with time travel, which they will just ignore. The guy went back in time to save his daughter from a rare blood disease. But that was changed so assuming everything else happens the same way, now he is going back in time to prevent the wall from falling on his daughter. His behaviors and actions will be different so Magnus' actions will have to be different as well.

It's just a variation of the grandfather paradox again. Time travel stories always bug me when they don't address that issue.

14. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    But they specifically addressed that in the episode...Magnus said that if the changes were minor enough, time would self-correct. And in this case the changes were relatively minor in the end...the girl still died.

15. GAViewer

GAViewer Member

Oct 18, 2007
    Of course the another possibility is there is only one time line which now has the daughter dying from the collapsing wall, and after the change goes up the time line, Magnus' memory will be that she came back to prevent Adam from saving the daughter from the collapsing wall.

16. ehusen

ehusen Geek not Nerd

Jan 7, 2002
    Chicago Suburbs
    I hear what you are all saying but it still bothers me due to the fact that memories would be changed. Magnus' memories would now be different, when does that happen? Does she now have 2 sets of memories? One where the guy goes back to cure the rare blood disease and one where he goes back to stop the wall from falling?

You can't unify the fact that things would happen differently the next time through the loop. They are both changing their own pasts yet somehow this does not affect them in the future when they are going to go back into the past?

(Yeah I know I'm overthinking it...)

It can only be resolved by the time loop changing each time through until it reaches a "steady state" where the trip to the past doesn't change the future course again. Or they change the time loop so much that the time travel never occurs in the first place (which is still a paradox of course).

I guess it's a good thing time travel doesn't really exist...

17. GAViewer

GAViewer Member

Oct 18, 2007
    If a separate time lines were created by time travel then Magnus could has said/thought "Adam went in to the past to save his daughter, that will create a separate timeline that will be very different from this one. But at least he is no longer our problem."

18. WinBear

WinBear Konner Kringle

Aug 24, 2000
    Carrollton,...
    What if Adam's daughter dying from the falling wall keeps him from building the time travel system? Older Magnus should fade from the 1890s and resume her life in 2011 without any time travel memories.

19. martinp13

martinp13 Roller coaster addict :)

Mar 19, 2001
    Fort Worth, TX
    I'm worried that they used this episode to set up time-traveling Helen as a deus ex machina to get them out of the cliffhanger abnormal situation or something else down the road. :/ Otherwise it's a total throwaway episode and not worthy of 'first episode of a season'.

20. ehusen

ehusen Geek not Nerd

Jan 7, 2002
    Chicago Suburbs
    Well then we've got the good old grampa paradox again. Since the time machine was never built, no one went back in time, so no one caused the wall to fall on Adam's daughter. Thus we are back to the original timeline that did result in a time machine, causing the wall to fall, and preventing a time machine. etc. etc. etc.