Sanctuary - "Fata Morgana" 10/10/08

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by dcheesi, Oct 12, 2008.

1. dcheesi

dcheesi ...I'm not.

Apr 6, 2001
    MD, USA
    So, did I miss something, or was their claim for the "last" outbreak of the Plague off by more than 500 years?! I know this is all fantasy, but history that basic... :rolleyes:

Of course they also butchered the Morrigan mythology, but that's to be expected with this type of show.

OTOH, I have to admit that it was far more interesting than the previews led me to believe. Obviously the Cabal is being set up as the new Big Bad. Funny how they never stumbled across them until right after they bring the new guy (and the viewer) onboard...

And what happened to being all touchy-feely even with the most incorrigible creatures? As soon as they saw the crypt-keepers (heh), they started shooting... :confused:

2. newswatcher

newswatcher Member

Apr 9, 2004
    Modesto, CA
    I've taken this off my SP. A series that could very well be doomed. Just don't see any merit or interest in this one...

3. dcheesi

dcheesi ...I'm not.

Apr 6, 2001
    MD, USA
    I came very close to deleting it myself, but I think I'll give it another week or two...

4. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    Okay, did anyone else get the "Charmed" vibe?

So were the three: Prue, Piper and Phoebe or Piper, Phoebe and Paige?

And, these will be revisited. :)

5. srs5694

srs5694 New Member

Oct 14, 2001
    Woonsocket,...
    I actually looked up "Black Death" or some synonym for it on Wikipedia just to make sure my memory wasn't in error. There were outbreaks in Europe through the 1700s, although the biggest one was in the 1300s. I always cringe when SF shows get such basics wrong.

This show's over-use of CGI is really starting to annoy me. The technology isn't yet good enough to replace real shots if real shots are possible, at least not on a TV budget.

Oh, well. I'll give it another couple of episodes, at least. I recall thinking that Babylon 5 was pretty marginal until "Mind War" (episode 7). G'Kar's explanation of what happened at Sigma 957 and why he helped rescue her made me sit up and think, "there's something planned here; keep watching." That was the B plot for that episode, too!

6. Tobashadow

Tobashadow Read over there --->

Nov 11, 2006
    I'm giving it untill the second non webepisode is shown.

I can't pass judgement untill i see production done for tv.

The early episode's which we are in now where not meant to be broadcasted on tv so the quality can be expected to lack a bit compared.

They where meant for web only broadcast, and at that they are way over the top in quality.

You got to remmeber that fact.

And some where re edited to remove and replace certain people in haste so there's some drop out there.

Example: The story with the gun runner being shot was a much much much better verison in the web episode then the tv one. Different person so then had to edit it a bit and lost some good story line.

Plus they had to edit it down for commercial spacing too.

So i say give it atleast 3 more weeks to get out of those episodes.

7. bengalfreak

bengalfreak Active Member

Oct 20, 2002
    I'll give it the three weeks, but so far this show is BAAAD. I am so tired of the KungFu warrior girl concept. Its been done to death.

8. pkscout

pkscout Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2003
    Honolulu, HI
    It'll be interesting to see if folks who watched the webisodes like the series more than those that didn't. I'm enjoying the show, seeing what they dropped and added to be on TV. We'll likely keep this SP as a nice brain-lite watch.

9. catcard

catcard MoxiDVR

Mar 2, 2001
    Honey...
    This may continue on my SP list just for something to watch when I have run out of other recorded shows...

10. RoundBoy

RoundBoy New Member

Feb 10, 2005
    you're out of luck.. a recent 15 min 'how Sanctuary is made' shows that basically all this show is are the actors standing in front of huge green screens. How that is cheaper then some sets is beyond me. Its a shame Amanda Tapping only had this to fall back on.

11. mrmike

mrmike Custom User Title

May 2, 2001
    "When shall we three meet again?"

I'm just saying.

I was kinda miffed at how they massaged the Morrigan myth though. There are so many other myths they could have piggybacked on.

12. bengalfreak

Oct 20, 2002

Who freakin' cares. Whatever myth they butchered, somebody would have been miffed. Sometimes purists just drive me nuts.:p

13. mrmike

mrmike Custom User Title

May 2, 2001
    That's what I'm saying. There are a lot of myths they could have used without butchering them. The aforementioned 3 witches from Macbeth, for instance.

FWIW I used to love Xena's butchering of mythology because it was always done with humour. These guys are trying to be serious. They should at least try to get some of it right.

14. TAsunder

TAsunder Debates Ghee vs Gi

Aug 6, 2003
    Madison, WI
    Yes. I know I for one like it when shows featuring mutants with magical powers and teleportation throughout history including an unknown being as Jack the Ripper don't mess with history. I prefer it to be consistent. History should be different than we know it, except when I want it to be the same.

15. bengalfreak

Oct 20, 2002
    Serious and this show are not two things I would consider synonymous in any way, shape, or form.

16. classicX

classicX Don't scream.

May 10, 2006
    Miles away...
    I think Ash was talking to her mother on an iPod Touch too.

I guess the show is OK when you're spacing out and have nothing else to watch.

17. newsposter

newsposter Poster of News

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA
    everyone constantly being up in the air on the edge of a building is kind of annoying