1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

San Jose Comcast channel 703 often has no signal

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Amy1999, Oct 17, 2015.

1. Amy1999

Amy1999 New Member

Feb 15, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    Setup: I have a TiVo Premiere with 4 tuners and subscribe to Comcast Cable in San Jose, California.

Quite often I find that channel 703 and 704 have no picture at all or are too pixelated to watch or record properly.

This is the message I see when there's no picture at all:
    "Searching for a signal on this channel. (V52)"

Does anybody else have this problem? Can anybody tell me how to solve it?

Restarting the TiVo doesn't solve the problem. And there's no cable box to reset because the TiVo uses cable cards.

ETA: Upon further reflection, I think the source of the problem is the TiVo rather than Comcast.

Thanks,
    Amy

Last edited: Oct 17, 2015
  2. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Check the signal strength.

That sounds like a cable issue.. There could be bad/corroded wiring, or even literally things aren't tight enough on any of the various coax connectors in the chain. (Yes, that CAN affect only a few channels.) Even though in another thread I just suggested someone give up on their S1, this is the bad side of digital. If your signals were analog, you'd probably just get a slightly fuzzy KNTV, rather than a completely unusable signal.

3. Eric Carlson

Eric Carlson New Member

Jun 13, 2018
    This is way too late to help Amy1999's post from 2015. But in case someone else is having this issue and Googles a solution, this may pop up. Here is what I do, as I've encountered this problem more than once in the past with Comcast channel 703 on my TiVo box (although I suspect it applies to other channels as well):

1. Go to the channel that's not coming in (e.g. 703).
    2. Go to TiVo Central.
    3. Go to 'Settings & Messages'.
    4. Go to 'Channel Settings'.
    5. Go to 'Cable Signal Strength'.
    6. Push the 'Select' button.

It may initially show no signal for a few seconds after step 6. But eventually it will connect. I don't know what the technical reason is for this problem and solution. But this has always worked for me.

4. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Which model TiVo?

-KP

5. Eric Carlson

Eric Carlson New Member

Jun 13, 2018
    Roamio Plus.