San Francisco Bay Area Best Buy Availability?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by jetforme, Sep 18, 2006.

1. jetforme

jetforme New Member

Sep 18, 2006
    San Carlos, CA

Advertisements

I've been trying since Friday, Sep 15, 2006 to get a Tivo Series3 from my local Best Buy (San Carlos, CA). First I was told they were expecting shipment on Saturday, to be on the shelves Sunday. Then I was told they weren't going to receive any until mid-October. Today I was told that they won't be carrying it, ever (that particular store).

I called East Palo Alto, and they had none in stock, but told me that only three stores in this district would receive TS3s: East Palo Alto, a store on Geary, and one further south (I don't remember which). I was told I could order from Best Buy online and have it shipped to any local store for free. However, Best Buy online is still showing "1-2 weeks" backorder, although I wonder how accurate that is.

Has anyone else in the Bay Area acquired a TS3 from Best Buy? If so, which?

TIA,

Rick

2. pyrosas

pyrosas New Member

Sep 13, 2006
    Bay Area, CA
    Have you try Fry's? I know the Sunnyvale Fry's had some, but all gone on Sat.

3. cotton168

cotton168 Member

Aug 8, 2006
    Monterey...
    It might seem redundant, but how about going on the BB online and checking availability there? That way you can check to see which stores have it and call them to see if they physically have it or just go down there. That was what I did with my S3. I found it available in a few local stores and just went down there to pick one up (couldn't order from BB online at that time because their site was buggy).

Good luck! :)

4. btwyx

btwyx Substantive Member

Jan 16, 2003
    Mountain...
    I called round the nearest 5 best buys, 4 didn't and hadn't had them in stock, the other had just sold out. (They're stocked by "selected" branches.) So I got one at Frys instead. Do you want to buy from BB or would Frys do instead? The San Jose branch still had a few after I left. (Or you can have mine which finally arrived from TiVo.com/vip.)

5. Mahty

Mahty Member

Jan 6, 2006

Advertisements

I got mine from the East Palo Alto BB on Friday morning. It apparently was the last one there at the time.

I also had one held for me at Fry's in Sunnyvale on Friday. When I called to cancel using the invoice number they had given me, I was told that there was no need to cancel because the invoice would be canceled automatically in a few days. I wonder if that S3 unit is still waiting to be released back into the wild.

6. keenanSR

keenanSR Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2004
    Santa Rosa CA
    I went online and used the Best Buy store availability thing and found one right in Santa Rosa, there was one left on the shelf after I purchased mine, but that was last Thursday.

7. NickIN

NickIN Member

Dec 26, 2002
    Indiana
    I know I'm not in the bay area but I bought mine from a Best Buy here in Indiana that Bestbuy.com clearly said was out of stock. Don't always trust that thing as accurate.

8. jetforme

jetforme New Member

Sep 18, 2006
    San Carlos, CA

GRRFHKKEKHF(*#&$(&*^#)@*(&@(*&D(*# :mad: :mad: :mad:

I would have driven to EPA on Friday morning to get one, if I had known they were there. If you got the last one on Friday morning, does that mean they were in stock on Thursday? I called the San Carlos store on Thursday.

I really wish someone there had suggested I check other Best Buy stores. Since San Carlos first told me they were getting some over the weekend, and then said they weren't getting any 'till mid-Oct, I didn't think that any other store in the area would be any different. Since I learned today that the different stores, in fact, get very different inventories, now I'm just fuming.

I'd go somewhere else, but here's the deal: I'm tapped out paying for repairs on my airplane, and my BestBuy card was the only way for me to get it NOW!

Thanks for the info. I guess I'll just call EPA BB every day.

9. c3

c3 TiVoholic

Sep 8, 2000
    Silicon...
    Fix your airplane first, and then you can fly to a BestBuy far away with S3 in stock. :)

10. jfh3

jfh3 Active Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    He won't find many. I just got a call from a BB corporate buyer who tells me that there aren't any to be had, other than what's currently on the shelves or in transit.

11. tivo_madness

tivo_madness New Member

Jun 20, 2005
    You can buy mine off of me. It's from Tivo.com that I ordered last wednesday... Unfortunately, I'd have to charge you shipping :( PM me.

12. btwyx

btwyx Substantive Member

Jan 16, 2003
    Mountain...
    I won't even charge shipping for mine, if you pick it up.

13. jetforme

jetforme New Member

Sep 18, 2006
    San Carlos, CA
    Are you guys selling ones you ordered in addition to the ones you're keeping, or do you hate your TS3's so much you're trying to get rid of them?

14. btwyx

btwyx Substantive Member

Jan 16, 2003
    Mountain...
    I have one, bought retail, which is working fine. The one ordered from TiVo is sitting in its shipping box unopened. If no one locally takes it off my hands, I'll have to get a shipping label from TiVo, Pony says they'll do it at no charge.

It easier is someone just came and took it away.

15. jetforme

jetforme New Member

Sep 18, 2006
    San Carlos, CA
    I just got ship confirmation today from Best Buy. As of this morning, nothing, but now the website is updated to show that orders ship in one day. However, SF Bay Area stores still don't show availability. Also, I was told only 3 stores (East Palo Alto, one on Geary, and one other--sorry, don't remember--would have it at all).

16. davecramer74

davecramer74 New Member

Mar 17, 2006
    I just called Pleasant Hill BB and he said they have 15 at the "warehouse" so he can order one for me. It would arrive on the 30th. Im assuming all the bay area stores are pulling from the "warehouse" unless one of the stores is the main "warehouse".

So it looks like you can call any of them and theyll order it for you from their main warehouse and you can get it in a couple days.

17. davecramer74

davecramer74 New Member

Mar 17, 2006
    called the pinole store, same story, except he said it wouldnt arrive till oct 3rd. Sounds like the best bet is to call around. I dont think any of the stores have them in stock yet, they have to get them from the main distributing warehouse.

18. sammydee

sammydee New Member

Sep 24, 2006
    There were two in Lawrence Expressway Fry's yesterday when I wandered in.