Samsung TV vs. TiVo....

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Phil Broughton, Oct 5, 2017.

1. Phil Broughton

Phil Broughton New Member

Sep 24, 2004
    San Diego
    I am setting up a new TV, the Samsung UN43MU6300. During Setup, any devices connected to the 3 HDMI ports are detected to be shown as “Sources” and, supposedly, to be able to be controlled by the Samsung remote.

Initially the TiVo Bolt was detected as “Cablevision” (whatever that is…?). The input feed worked fine however, and I continued to use the TiVo remote, the TiVo remote used the first listed the Vol and Power code for Samsung, which worked fine.

I wanted to get rid of the “Cablevision” listed as a Source so I reinitialized HDMI 1 with a re-detection of the device and this time all I could achieve was “HDMI 1” as a source name. There are only few choices for the Samsung to search to figure out what your device is; the only one which seems rational is “Set Top Box”.

Has anyone with a recent Samsung TV been able to get a “Tivo” identified as their Device Source? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

2. Phil Broughton

Sep 24, 2004
    San Diego
    Thanks for the info. I see your point about the Logo issue, but I was thinking more from a technical standpoint: the other two sources, the Cox Box and the FireStick were id'd properly, and the Samsung Remote does then have a limited functionality with the Cable Box. I was hoping for the same with TiVo -- although the correct logo would be nice too.
    Thanks!

3. V7Goose

V7Goose OTA ONLY and Loving It!

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...
    I set up a new Samsung 6 or 7 months ago (so my memory might be a bit off). I believe the TV correctly identified it as a "TiVo" after I went through the TV remote setup routine for that device after other parts of the setup were complete. I seem to recall I had to go through several attempts at setting up the device to finally stumble into all the correct settings with both my TiVo and AV playback box along with my BD player and the AV amp. The little TV universal remote does work with the TiVo, but it is no where near as convenient as just using the TiVo remote.

I also have a vague memory that there is a way to just rename the input device on the TV menu, but I cannot recall just how to do that. Sorry.

4. Phil Broughton

Sep 24, 2004
    San Diego
    Yes, there is.

Thanks for your help.

I think that I’ve had semi-success…. Due to the frequently failing Tuning Adapter, I had to restart the Bolt. During the process, the Samsung complained of no source (expected this) then the TiVo startup verbiage continues. Upon restart I now have the Samsung TiVo source labelled TiVo and the logo is the outline of the HDMI port. Well, that’s better than Cablevision or just “HDMI”.

Maybe my restart didn’t fully convince the Samsung, because that small Samsung remote has no functioning for the TiVo. It does do a few things when I use the Cox Box as my source. That’s ok with me, since I am 95% on TiVo and the TiVo remote does control Power and volume on the TV, and it may sound silly to say, I prefer the Bolt streaming for Amazon (rather than the FireStick), with which I have been watching an episode of The Wire every day.

Thanks again.