Samsung TV; Premier Tivo..no captions ?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by richg99, Nov 30, 2011.

1. richg99

richg99 New Member

Mar 28, 2004
    I don't hear as well as I used to. Newer programs are using background noise more and more for effect. Bottom line is that I miss portions of the audio all of the time. Tried good earphones. Tried hearing aids. None helped much.

I used to be able to simply hit CC on the remote and I could back up and watch the captions to pick up missed phrases.

Now, with the "new" premiere, I get a message "Not available in current mode". The TV is a couple of years old. It used to do the CC thing easily. I suspect it is some setting or "feature" of the premiere Tivo.

Any ideas? thanks Rich

2. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    That sounds like a message from your TV, correct?

If so, you can turn on captions from the Tivo itself. Hit right, then go down a few to the CC item, and hit Select to turn on captions. (It sounds like a lot of steps, but it's easier than it used to be!)

If you're using HDMI to connect to your TV, I don't think that provides a way to send captions to the TV (I may very well be wrong). I do know in the past there were OTHER connections (analog connections) that didn't send the line 21 signal to the TV, so it couldn't do captions.

In fact, on my TV, connected with component most of the time (most of my electronics route through my XS32 recorder the majority of the time), I don't think I've ever been able to use CC from the TV even to play with.

3. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    Correct, use the TiVo to provide captions, not the TV.

4. richg99

richg99 New Member

Mar 28, 2004
    THANK YOU...
    THANK YOU...
    THANK YOU...

p.s I have it hooked up with a hdmi cable and CC works fine NOW.

You've save an old guy's sanity!

Rich

5. slxgru2003

slxgru2003 New Member

Nov 10, 2011
    I don't believe It's ridiculous speculation, why is your hardware partner changed after a year unless you cannot work a hardware issue out with them? Not the bad display issue is it, that they said they could fix the filters with a software update?? I'm simply saying that when you changed hardware partners in the past, the replacements were much much faster. Cisco v+ - slow, very slow. Samsung v+ - much better. Is this going to be the case with the Samsung tivo. It's a fair question from someone paying a lot of money for a product that, come on Nick, you know isn't quite there yet. I've stuck with tivo because I like Virgin and Tivo on Virgin. I also hope the imminent update will add features and fix bugs. We'll see. As for the poster who says if the box developed a fault, you'd get the current model anyway. This isn't true, you get what's on the van. This will be recon Cisco tivos for some time I reckon.

6. Worf

Worf Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2000
    Yes. HDMI does not support standard line 21 closed captions - those are available in analog connections only. Captions in HDMI are supposed to be overlaid in the image a la DVD/Blu-Ray captioning.

7. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Though it's really a shame that HDMI doesn't have (or people don't implement?) out of band sending of captions.. That way, maybe the user could make captions appear in the letterboxed area, or somewhere else.

I leave captions on OFTEN (esp so I can watch things on my other faster-than-realtime recorder and see the captions quickly if I miss a word or two), but for things like poker shows, the captions are OFTEN covering up useful info -- either the community cards at the bottom of the screen, or the outs/pot size at the top. If I could move captions around, that would be good.

Having this in the TV would make it so every other device wouldn't have to do captions.