SAMSUNG Smart Media Player vs TiVo Roamio

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Pacomartin, Dec 31, 2014.

1. Pacomartin

Pacomartin Member

Jun 11, 2013

Advertisements

http://www.frys.com/product/8040074...5fH79c1-qC0iThMffP3LHIfgJHMZpK0sOoaAl_V8P8HAQ

This Samsung Smart Media Player with cable card is $150, which is the same price as the 4 tuner Tivo Roamio (on sale).

Now the Samsung has no monthly service fee. But my question is if you purchase the TiVo without service fee, will it still work to watch Live TV?

I am thinking the Samsung may be a false economy since with the TiVo if you change your mind you can always activate the service fee (or pay for lifetime) and then you have a fully operational TiVo.

But if the TiVo doesn't work as a converter box then I am wrong.

2. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    Yes, but it will only give you live tv. All of the streaming services require a subscription

3. LoadStar

LoadStar I voted! Did you?

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    I believe the TiVo will tune live TV, but that's it. No trickplay or DVR functions, and no guide data. On the other hand, the Samsung at least has guide data.

The one thing I don't know is if a TiVo will allow access to apps like Amazon, Hulu, Vudu, and others without a subscription. I'm guessing no. That would be another advantage to the Samsung.

4. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Highly doubtful. I'm not even sure an unsubscribed TiVo will work at all with CableCARD.

There's also a misstatement in the initial post. It isn't "with cable card". You have to get one from your cable company, just like a TiVo.

Probably no OD either.

5. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...

Advertisements

↑

6. Pacomartin

Pacomartin Member

Jun 11, 2013
    Are you sure about station information? It may not be TiVo guide data, but when I tune in a channel with rabbit ears, I can still get "information" about the name of the program.

I realize that you would lose "trick play", but for purposes of the comparison with Samsung that is not relevant. You don't have trick play with the Samsung.

The apps are a big thing. But many people are buying for older viewers, many of whom find apps to be annoying.

Do you think my assumption is correct that I can turn on service from TiVo after months or even years of owning the equipment?

Cable companies are charging as much as $144/yr for simple HD converter boxes, so one time purchase for $149.99 is attractive.

7. lpwcomp

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    That's your TV picking up the data in the broadcast stream. Completely different from the data downloaded by a TiVo from the TiVo servers.

8. Pacomartin

Pacomartin Member

Jun 11, 2013
    I understand. But would the data in the broadcast stream still be accessible if there was no data coming from the TiVo servers?

9. Jan 1, 2015 #9 of 19
    LoadStar

LoadStar I voted! Did you?

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    I'm fairly certain that TiVo doesn't make use of the PSIP data (the limited OTA guide data).

10. tarheelblue32

tarheelblue32 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    I seriously doubt that too. Why would TiVo build in that capability when they want you paying the monthly fee for their guide data?

11. lpwcomp

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    +1

In addition, it wouldn't be of much use since you don't actually see the data until you tune the channel. It's defininitely not passed via HDMI to the TV, at least not from my THD to a Westinghouse TV. Actuially, my TV doesn't even attempt to access it when it's on an HDMI source. Don't know about component or composite. Plus it's not always accurate.

In any case, that's broadcast TV, not cable.

12. Pacomartin

Pacomartin Member

Jun 11, 2013
    This comment was made back in 2010 when the Premier was first released.

The answer is that TiVo may use the PSIP data as a back up if network connection is lost.

13. mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    I have a Samsung Smart Media Player that I used to replace a set top box from Verizon. It works fine but has a few quirks that I found to be annoying. If you shut off the box it has a tendency to lose guide data. When you turn it back on there are no guide listings initially and it's hit or miss when they'll actually reappear. If you just leave it on then it shouldn't be an issue. Please note that I haven't used this box in over six months and barely used it myself when it was in service so my recollection of the features may not be 100% accurate.

IIRC, the channel listings also do not appear with the same channel numbers shown in the Verizon guide. You can't enter a channel number in the guide to see the listing so you have to scroll through the entire list to find the channel you want. I believe you can tune directly to a channel by entering the number, as long as you know what it is. I had always intended to create my own channel listing so I knew where the channels were in the list but never got around to it. The SMP was in the master bedroom and the wife was really the only one using it. She got used to the new channel designations and seemed to be OK with it. She usually raises hell when something doesn't work the way she thinks it should so for her to be this accepting of the SMP was highly unusual.

When you exit the program you're watching and return to the guide it takes you back to the beginning of the guide instead of where the channel resides. I can't speak to any of the streaming services as I have never used them with the SMP.

That being said, if you still want one of these I can make you a good deal on one. Send me a PM if you're interested.

14. davezatz

davezatz Funkadelic

Apr 18, 2002
    Fairfax, VA
    Doubt Samsung will support/update this product for any length of time...

15. lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    For the Roamio Plus (The only one I know for sure) Cable cards work, trick play now works (a past software update stopped the trick play function, the next update put that function back in), no guide data, no streaming, no DVR functions, no apps.
    So the best that can be said it an inactivated TiVo will work like a dumb cable card tuner.

16. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    Ya - if they really thought there was a market for cable card tuners/devices they could just add cable card to one of their TV lines or Blu-ray players which would be more useful then a stand alone STB.

17. mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    I believe there's definitely a market for the device. It just needs to be implemented a bit better to work out some of the kinks I mentioned above. I ended up replacing mine with an Intel NUC small form factor PC configured with Windows Media Center. Right now the only hardware I rent from Verizon is two cablecards, yet I'm able to view and record all channels I'm subscribed to on four different HDTVs as well as any desktop PC on my home network.

18. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    I also think there is a subset of people who don't want to rent a STB from their cable provider, I just think people also want less devices not more so combining it with something else (PC, DVR, TV, the better streaming devices (Apple TV, Roku, Amazon, etc.), and/or Blu-ray players makes more sense than what Samsung did. And their attention to the product seems to indicate they have lost interest.

19. lpwcomp

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    If you have multiple outlets and you are on Comcast, the cost/benefit analysis of buying multiple of these devices vs. a Roamio w/lifetime and Minis needs to include the ADO fee (minus the customer owned equipment credit).