Samsung SIR-S4040R failure

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by zappbrannigan13, Sep 12, 2007.

1. zappbrannigan13

zappbrannigan13 New Member

Sep 12, 2007
    Terribly sorry if this has already been posted, but I couldn't find anything with the search function.

I've had a Samsung SIR-S4040R Directv TiVo for a few years now and I love it. Recently it appears to have failed on me. If I cold power up the unit it never gets past the first Welcome screen. I have a feeling after several years of use that the hard drive may have failed. I have no backup of the data, but I'm not too broken up about the loss. I figured I would just buy a new hard drive and replace the existing one.

I've downloaded the mfstools and created a boot cd, but I can't seem to find info on how to build a new drive from scratch. All the info I can find refers to restoring a backup to a new drive.

Does anyone have info on how to setup a brand new hard drive for use in my TiVo if I don't have a backup?

2. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
  3. Jeshimon

Jeshimon New Member

Jul 9, 2007
    By a show of hands, what is the best way to get TiVo up and running after a catastrophic hard drive failure. I would prefer to hear from those with first hand experience. Please mention any hardware and/or software tools required. I am thinking Norton's Ghost backup now to have available later. Any thoughts?
    Thanks in advance

Working TiVo drive available:
    MFS tools 1

No working TiVo drive available:
    Instacake 1

4. ForrestB

ForrestB New Member

Apr 8, 2004
    MFSTools works well if you old Tivo drive is still functioning and can boot your Tivo. In this case, MFSTools can copy all the files to a new/larger hard drive.

However if the old Tivo drive doesn't work, then you'll need Instacake (which contains the OS, Tivo.app, etc) to image a new hard drive.

5. 1969RS

1969RS New Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Hey all, new to this forum. Not an electronics master by any means.

Question....My Samsung SIR-S4040R Direct TV reciever which is located in our bedroom, is making grinding noises periodically. I do not have the recorder set up to record anything and when I check, it has not recorded anything for me.
    The grinding noise it makes, sometimes wakes us up in the middle of the night and does not seem to have a pattern on when it does it. It will grind for about a minute, then slowly fade away.

We do not have anything stored on the hard drive as this is a backup reciever for us. rest of the house has been set up with HD recievers.

Is my hard drive going bad? How hard are they to replace? Like I stated, I do not have anything stored on it, so I do not need to save anything. I have seen sites where I can buy a much larger hard drive and install it myself.

For someone like me who has an average mechanical ability, but real technical, what should I do? I can get a hard drive for $99.

Thx in advance.

Rick

6. ForrestB

ForrestB New Member

Apr 8, 2004
    1969RS,
    Sounds like a fan problem - which will cause your Tivo to overheat and shutdown. Easily fixed for about $20. Get your fans at http://www.weaknees.com

7. 1969RS

1969RS New Member

Nov 12, 2007
    It has not shut down....yet. The noise actually sounds like a person snoring. I know, sounds weird, especially being it is located in the bedroom.
    I will check out the link. Thx.

Rick