1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Samsung Power on makes Tivo reboot

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Nortnarg, Jul 12, 2018.

1. Nortnarg

Nortnarg New Member

Feb 9, 2013
    I have a new Samsung QLED Tv, and when I power on the tv with my Tivo Bolt connected via HDMI the tv shows no connection for a while, then causes the Tivo to reboot, and finally connects. I’ve worked with different settings and remote codes but have not found anything that prevents the problem. It does not always happen. Sometimes tv powers on and instantly recognizes the Tivo signal, but reboots more often than not.
    Any one else having this problem?

2. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    I'd try it with an alternate power on sequence.

Either leave the TiVo off until the TV has completed its power on cycle, or turn it on first and give it a few moments to completely start up before beginning the power on cycle for the TV.

-KP

3. Nortnarg

Nortnarg New Member

Feb 9, 2013
    I leave the Tivo on always. It was on power save, and I turned that off, so it never sleeps or powers off. That made no difference.
    When I power on the Tv, it often shows no signal even though the Tivo Bolt is on and recording. Then Tivo reboots before it connects to the Samsung Tv.

4. kpeters59

Jun 19, 2007
    If you unplug the HDMI cable from the TiVo to the TV, before you turn on the TV, will it get a signal and operate properly without a crash after plugging the HDMI cable back in?

Are you using the ARC input on your TV? Maybe try swapping it?

-KP

5. Nortnarg

Nortnarg New Member

Feb 9, 2013
    Unplugging theHDMI is sometimes what I have to do in order to get things working again, but that means going through setup for the input, spelling out provider info and model number of Tivo plus resetting the smart remote and entering info for remote to connect and operate the Tivo. Not something I care to do each time I turn on the tv.

I am not familiar with ARC input. All inputs are HDMI only other than Ethernet.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I am not understanding what Mr. Smart tv is needing as the Tivo is on and recording most mornings I turn on the tv, so seems the signal should be there but for some reason tv is not seeing it.
    Sometimes it comes on as it should, other times it does a quick reboot on Tivo and other times it has just gone to white static requiring a HDMI input reset on the tv.
    Never had these issue on the old tv. At first I thought the Tivo hdd was failing, but not sure what is the core problem.
    Seems to me a Samsung issue possibly. I need to contact them yet.
    Just thought I would start here thinking someone else may be having the same or similar problems.

6. kpeters59

Jun 19, 2007
    The HDMI ARC Input would be labeled as such.

Try turning off the TiVo first, when you turn the TV off, to test if you turn the TV on first, then the TiVo, solves the issue.

Unplugging/re-plugging the HDMI cable shouldn't require re-running any setup.

-KP

7. V7Goose

V7Goose OTA ONLY and Loving It!

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...
    I have no clue why people are telling you to turn off the TiVo - THEY DO NOT HAVE POWER SWITCHES!

But to me, your problem sounds most likely to be a low AC power issue, where the TV startup is causing a brief power drop to the TiVo that causes it to reboot. This is an uncommon issue with modern electronics and modern house electrical systems, but it can still happen. Plugging your TiVo into a UPS may solve the problem (and is always a good idea anyway).

There are several ways you can troubleshoot this problem, but the easiest first step is to simply use a good extension cord to power your TiVo from a plug in the house that is NOT on the same circuit breaker as your TV. If it all works that way, you know for a fact it is a power issue.

You might also just have a bad power brick for the Bolt, so try replacing that if other tests do not identify the problem.
    And there is always a possibility that your TV has a problem with the HDMI port - have you tried different ports? Not all HDMI ports on the same box are created equal - Samsung especially is famous for having different capabilities on different ports, and they do NOT document it well - you may need to spend some painful time searching through their on-line user manual. (ARC is an audio return circuit, and you neither need nor want that with the TiVo connection.)

8. fyodor

fyodor Active Member

Sep 19, 2006
    I agree that this sounds like a power supply issue. Are they on a common surge protector? I'd consider replacing it.

9. kpeters59

Jun 19, 2007
    Ummm...although it could be a power supply issue, it's most likely an HDMI Handshake issue. That's why I suggested to put the TiVo into Standby mode in order to force an HDMI Handshake after the TV has fully powered up.

-
    KP

10. WVZR1

WVZR1 Member

Jul 30, 2008
    The WV...
    If the TiVo is going through an AVR that has HDMI CONTROL and it's 'TURNED ON' the power off of the TV or AVR could effect the shut down of any other device. It's customary to use it with BD Players and such but it sure does sound 'typical'. SAMSUNG 'set-up' manual requires a read and the AVR likely also if one is used. A sound bar maybe also.

Samsung manual and look for HDMI CONTROL.

11. Nortnarg

Nortnarg New Member

Feb 9, 2013
    At this point I am still trying different settings and testing the results.
    I did find the HDMI ARC port, and am using that now with a different ARC rated cable.
    Also note that yesterday I was able to power on and off several times normally. It usually fails when I power on in the morning when tv has been off all night. That seems to be the most likely time for a fail, but not always.
    I will try the separate power source next.

12. Nortnarg

Nortnarg New Member

Feb 9, 2013
    Powered on fine this am and a few times after cold start also. I will give this a few days to see if it is a fix. Seems like the handshake theory makes sense to me.

This time when I set up the source on Tivo, the Samsung smart remote was not able to complete setup as it had before. So smart remote not controlling Tivo, but not too concerned with that as the Tivo remote is convenient.

13. rdrrepair

rdrrepair Or, Bill Knapp

Nov 24, 2006
    845 New York
    I had this same type of issue with my Sony TV. The only way I could resolve it was to use the component cables. HDMI was always a bust. Turn on tv, TiVo would reboot.

14. Nortnarg

Nortnarg New Member

Feb 9, 2013
    Good to know I’m not alone with this issue. Although RCA component cables are not an option for me. Tv has HDMI inputs only.

15. kpeters59

Jun 19, 2007
    Have you turned off CEC in the TV?

-KP

16. Nortnarg

Nortnarg New Member

Feb 9, 2013
    It is currently on, but I have tried it off also and does not seem to have any effect.

The only thing different now is the loss of smart remote controlling Tivo.
    Not understanding that, but I can live with that better than multiple reboots per day. My thinking is CEC would allow more communication between devices. ?

17. kpeters59

Jun 19, 2007
    TiVo doesn't have any CEC capabilities, but I suppose it could muck things up.

If discontinuing using the Smart Remote (whichever one that might be) seems to have at least partially solved the problem, then I'd still lean towards power-on / timing issues.

-KP

18. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    What happens if you turn the tv on with a different input like a blu ray then switch over.

19. Nortnarg

Nortnarg New Member

Feb 9, 2013
    I would rather have the Samsung Tv smart remote able to control the Tivo, as it does a very good job at that. I have not found any function that is not available to control, and I got used to doing it that way. After connecting to the ARC HDMI input and a new cable, the smart remote setup does dot complete as before, so back to using the Tivo remote while on that input, and the Samsung remote for all else. I can power on from either remote, and everything works, just have to use a combination of the two remotes.

I am going to call this a fix, as this is day two of no reboot issues. Or at least a partial fix due to the remote difference.
    Thanks for your knowledge and suggestions on this!

20. Nortnarg

Nortnarg New Member

Feb 9, 2013
    Before the ARC input change, it would still have connection/reboot issues if the tv was started with a non Tivo input active. The other inputs and functions work as they should, but when switching to Tivo input (set up as a cable box in Samsung settings) I would get a no connection screen and a power on choice. So from that I assume the tv is getting no info from that input and thinks Tivo is powered off, but that never being the case. Whether I did nothing at that point or clicked the power on button, the Tivo would reboot, showing the “almost there” screen, one or more times before getting a signal.

One note on all of this that I have not touched on yet is, that twice now, all of the Tivo apps have disappeared. Last time it was over a week before I got them to reload. This time has been three days so far and still waiting for apps to come back.

Also note that I do not have a cable service. I use antenna OTA and have the Tivo setup as a cable box in the Samsung tv input settings, with ATT Uverse selected, as I have internet with them, but no cable tv service.

All this has been frustrating because even though my life can be pretty boring, I do have other things to do. At least at this time I have some stability and two days with no reboots!