Samsung EcoGreen 1TB

Discussion in 'TiVo Upgrade Center' started by akitadog, Jun 28, 2009.

1. akitadog

akitadog New Member

Jan 27, 2002
    SF Bay Area
    Has anyone tried the SAMSUNG EcoGreen F2 HD103SI 1TB 5400 RPM 32MB Cache SATA on a TiVoHD?

I searched the forum and could not find any info. The reviews in newegg and tom's hardware are pretty decent...

Just wondering whether the performance was adequate for the most demanding usage profile in the TiVoHD, which is presumably recording 2 streams and watching one?

Thanks.

2. bengalfreak

bengalfreak Active Member

Oct 20, 2002
    From what I have read, none of the green drives from any of the manufacturers currently have the guts to drive a DVR. They are just not meant to be working constantly.

3. Len McRiddles

Len McRiddles New Member

Dec 21, 2002
    U.S.S.A
  4. richsadams

richsadams Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2003
    I can confirm that the Samsung HD103SI does NOT work as an internal hard drive with the TiVo HD. Full story here. Samsung's drives of any nature have not faired well with Tivo. Since you have to have 10 posts or more to see text links, here's the HTML link to my post about the Samsung HDD:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?p=7342008#post7342008

BTW, as compared to normal computer operating conditions, TiVo's requirements are very minimal and far from demanding. The maximum "load" would be recording/buffering two HD signals, MRV, downloading IP material and playing back one HD recording. It sounds like a lot, but by comparison to the load computers can put on a hard drive it's fairly light. That's why the OEM drives are 5400 RPM w/2MB of cache. Most any replacement HDD will be able to handle anything TiVo can throw at it but as Len said, be sure to read this sticky thread and view the list of recommended hard drives:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?p=5616160#post5616160

5. richsadams

Jan 4, 2003
    You should read more. ;) Western Digital's line of GP "green" drives have been doing an excellent job as TiVo hard drive upgrades for a couple of years now. Both the 1TB WD10EVCS and the WD10EVVS are excellent hard drive upgrade solutions for TiVo Series3's as well as TiVo HD's. As noted, a full list of recommended drives can be found by clicking on the link below my sig.

6. Jul 3, 2009 #6 of 33
    bengalfreak

bengalfreak Active Member

Oct 20, 2002

Those are more expensive drives specifically designed for DVR's. I was referring to the standard Green drives which are much less expensive and thus, more likely to be used for an upgrade.

7. Jul 3, 2009 #7 of 33
    richsadams

Jan 4, 2003
    The recommended 1TB WD10EVVS AV/GP drive (which works in both TiVo Series3's and TiVo HD's) is less than $97 including shipping. The recommended (but discontinued) 1TB AV/GP WD10EVCS can be purchased for less than $96 and also works in both models. The "standard/green" WD10EADS (which works in TiVo HD's) is $89.99 with free shipping.

All of these "green" drives as well as several other AV and non-AV hard drives have been used by a large number of TCF members (including yours truly) for a couple of years now.

If you're finding other "green" drives (or 1TB drives of any sort) on the market that are "much less expensive" let us know!

8. Jul 3, 2009 #8 of 33
    akitadog

akitadog New Member

Jan 27, 2002
    SF Bay Area
    Rich - Thanks for the info. Too bad it doesn't work in a TiVo. The EcoGreen can be had for $70. You've saved me several hours of work.

9. Jul 3, 2009 #9 of 33
    richsadams

Jan 4, 2003
    Glad to help. I was just curious if it would work or not...dissapointing that it doesn't. I'm not sure what it is about Sammys and TiVo's that won't allow them to play nice, but you live and learn.

I'm a Seagate man from way back, but over the past few years WD has made giant strides in the QC department IMHO. I still have Seagates in various computer applications (and their DB35 DVR drive line is also a good option for TiVo) but the WD's have really proven themselves for a lot of folks here.

10. akitadog

akitadog New Member

Jan 27, 2002
    SF Bay Area
    Just picked up a WD10EAVS from Fry's for $80. This seems to be an OEM model with only 8MB cache. Anybody used this drive in a TiVo? Is the 8MB of cache going to be an issue?

Thanks.

11. richsadams

Jan 4, 2003
    Yes IIRC the WD10EAVS has been successfully used in some TiVo HD's. Also IIRC it exhibits the soft reboot issue in TiVo Series3's and is subsequently not on the recommended drive list.

TiVo OEM drives have 2MB cache and work just fine. Anything much above that is gravy.

12. keta49

keta49 New Member

Dec 12, 2006
    This works just fine in my Series3

13. richsadams

Jan 4, 2003
    Interesting and good to know. I ran out of free time and opted not to try it in our Series3, although now I'm curious.

What method did you use to upgrade exactly? Is a soft reboot an issue; does TiVo fully reboot from the menu restart? AFIAIK we're the only two that have attempted to use this drive. Any other details you could share would be welcome. TIA!

14. keta49

keta49 New Member

Dec 12, 2006
    I used WinMFS beta 9.3f to backup (truncated) the original drive.
    Then restored to the EcoGreen drive.

I have successfully restarted the TiVo, from the ...Settings/Restart... menu item.

Budhwood was successful also (thread 408190&highlight=ecogreen)

Series3 w/ SAMSUNG EcoGreen F2 HD103SI 1TB 5400 RPM 32MB Cache

15. richsadams

Jan 4, 2003
    Good work. Thanks! :up:

16. jlib

jlib Lean Forward

Nov 21, 2002
    Carmel...
    Although certain drives have some reported compatibility issues with certain models of the Series 3 TiVos, there isn't a class of drive that isn't up to the task. All modern drives are meant for constant service. Even 2.5" drives that used to only be found in laptops are used in enterprise servers now. The only difference between a so called AV or DVR drive is the firmware feature set that is installed. They are mechanically identical to their standard siblings.

In fact, the TiVo is such an unchallenging application that there is no advantage in having a hi-performance drive. That just creates excess noise and heat. The slower, detuned drives are best. Since the TiVo uses none of the extra firmware features of a DVR drive (the Series 3 was designed before the advent of the ATA-7 hard drive standards) a non-DVR version of a drive model will have identical performance in this application. The only difference is that the DVR drives have the head seeks already detuned by default, but that is easy enough to do manually on most drives.

Assuming no other incompatibilities (such as soft reboot issue or no AAM capabilities if needed) any drive will work fine. Certain of the low-RPM "green" drives have become de-facto choices for upgraders because of the low noise and heat, history of reliability, and more than adequate performance. Within that group it is best to just shop on capacity and price.

17. beequick

beequick New Member

Mar 23, 2008
    If NEWEGG.com honors my 2 new 1.5 TB Samsung HD154UI for 159 shipped then one will be going into my TIVOHD to try out and I can give a report on that drive.

I know I can only get 1.1 but I am not sure what drives are in my external 1TB VOX V1 drive. I could do a switch I suppose.....

EDIT:

WOW, my VOX V1 1TB external drive has a WD10EACS.....I guess I will use the WD instead......but I still will try the Samsung on a different TIVO HD that has a suspected bad drive.

18. Sparty99

Sparty99 Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2001
    Ferndale, MI
    Can you let me know how the Samsung works out? I was just able to get 2 through Newegg for $80 each.

Thanks!

19. beequick

beequick New Member

Mar 23, 2008
    I just upgraded my main drive with the WD10EACS and I am not going to try the SAMSUNGS.

I could just to see if it would work. I have another TIVOHD here with the old drive in it. if I get some spare time I will run it though the gambit. If you did it let me know.

20. entropy

entropy New Member

Apr 1, 2002
    Grr, now they're $99 each if you buy two. :-(

I would really like to know if this drive works in the Series 3... I know you have an HD but I'm still curious to know if it works. In order to max out a S3, I need a 1.5T drive, and there aren't many of those.