Samsung Directivo SIR-S4120R

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by Maynard123, Jul 24, 2007.

1. Maynard123

Maynard123 New Member

Apr 14, 2003
    San Diego
    I have a Samsung Directv DVR SIR-S4120R that has two USB 1.1 ports on it. I would like to put a wireless adapter on one of the ports in order to use TivoToGo so I can watch stuff on my iPhone.

However, I read on this forum that many DirecTivos disable their USB ports. Does anyone know if the SIR-S4120R has working USB ports that would allow me to move content to my iPhone?

Thanks.

2. John T Smith

John T Smith New Member

Jun 17, 2004
    Vancouver WA
  3. Maynard123

Maynard123 New Member

Apr 14, 2003
    San Diego
    Looks like my Samsung DirecTivo needs to be hacked to get it to work. I'm not up for this, so let me ask a follow up question. If I started fresh with a brand new set up (but I'll keep by current Samsung box), what is the easiest way of getting DirecTV content to my iPhone?

Would it be a different Series 2 DirecTV box plus wireless adapter? Or a stand alone Tivo box? Or some non-Tivo set-up?

Thanks.

4. ForrestB

ForrestB New Member

Apr 8, 2004
    Plug the S-Video output of your DirecTivo into your computer thru device that can capture video such as a USB Video adapter. These connect to a USB2 port and cost $50-$100 - google USB video adapter.

Hacking your DirecTivo is a better option IMHO - it's about 4 times quicker to move a show over ethernet and it's a sharper picture.

5. litzdog911

litzdog911 TechKnow Guide

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
    The "easiest" way would probably be using a standalone Series 2 Tivo with a standalone DirecTV Receiver. Then you can use the Tivo's media sharing features to get videos into your PC for eventual migration to your iPhone (not sure just how "easy" that might be). The Tivo + DirecTV Receiver approach has the disadvantages of only one tuner, along with interfacing the two boxes together, which can be challenging with some DirecTV Receivers.