Salvaging programs off a dead HD XL?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by shadoh, Apr 8, 2011.

1. shadoh

shadoh New Member

Jul 29, 2004
    Dallas, TX

Advertisements

Looong story short, my TiVo HD XL went into an endless rebooting cycle. I called TiVo and they're sending me a replacement.

Naturally, I have a TON of programs (like 100 or so) that I wish I could save, but of course, TiVo doesn't offer any solutions for that. Is there a way for me to salvage those shows? I haven't checked yet to see if there are tamper features to indicate if I cracked open the box (I assume there is), so I'd hate to void it, but I'm almost willing to do so in order to save my shows... IF there's a way for me to salvage them. I'd obviously prefer NOT to do a backup/restore into my replacement since the reboot issue is likely a software issue that I don't want following me to my replacement unit.

Any ideas? (obviously using TiVo Desktop to transfer the programs isn't an option because of the aforementioned endless reboots).

2. David Platt

David Platt Mouse Master TCF Club

Dec 13, 2001
    Portland, OR
    Unfortunately, you're out of luck. There's no way to get access to shows directly from the hard drive on an unhacked TiVo.

3. shadoh

shadoh New Member

Jul 29, 2004
    Dallas, TX
    Sigh, I was afraid of that. Thanks anyway. :(

4. Jonathan_S

Jonathan_S Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2001
    Northern...
    A backup/restore into the replacement wouldn't work anyway. You have to C&DE (clear and delete everything) before a drive from one TiVo will work in an identical one. So that would nuke your shows anyway.

If you had (or bought) a spare drive you could try a backup/restore onto it to see if it might boot up in the old TiVo. But if it is a software problem that's not likely to help.

Or have you tried any of the kickstart codes? If there's a software problem forcing the TiVo to try booting off the spare boot partition might temporarily clear it up (Maybe a kickstart 52, or possibly 56).

5. shadoh

shadoh New Member

Jul 29, 2004
    Dallas, TX

Advertisements

Actually, I haven't tried any kickstart codes. Thanks for the suggestion! Stay tuned...

6. shadoh

shadoh New Member

Jul 29, 2004
    Dallas, TX
    Sigh. Well, I was optimistic! I used kickstart 52, and it stayed up WAY longer than it had since this started (I watched about 90 minutes-worth of programming). Hopeful that it would stay up a while, I kicked off TiVo Desktop to try to get some programs off of it so I could transfer it to the replacement unit when it arrives. Unfortunately, I only got one program (out of the 100 or so I previously mentioned are on there) before it started rebooting again. I then tried kickstart 56, but it gave a "connection error" message. I may try 52 again to see if I can get it to stay up for a while so I can try to get some of my higher priority programs off of there...

7. matt@thehickmans

matt@thehickmans Hemo_jr

Jan 8, 2008
    I have used Spinrite with some success on several TiVo drives that were dying. You do need to pull the drive and have a PC available with a SATA connection that you can dedicate to the task during the recovery (one drive took several days). Also, it is a cost item.