Salvage shows from Dead HR10-250 ?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by Onazuka, Nov 29, 2007.

1. Onazuka

Onazuka New Member

Sep 22, 2001
    Maryland

Advertisements

My HR10-250 died but the hard disk is OK. We had watched everything but I had the whole season so far of Heroes on it, my favorite show. I was getting ready to watch them all over Christmas break. I would gladly buy the full season from iTunes but NBC removed them from iTunes (bastards). I have gone to the NBC web site, and also to Hulu, but they only have the last 5 episodes, and there are like 10 so far.

So, I pulled the hard disk out of the HR10-250 and can connect it to my computer, is there any way I can watch the 10 Heroes from this disk ? I'd also gladly watch the commercials.

If this can't be talked about here, can anybody point me in the direction to find out how to do this ? You can PM me if you need to. I'm not really trying to hack anything, I just want to watch these shows that I really should have been able to watch and I can't buy anyplace else.

2. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    Not when the box that recorded the shows is non-functional. If you had disabled encryption before recording the shows, it would be possible, but if not, you're hosed.

3. poppagene

poppagene User

Dec 29, 2001
  4. cramer

cramer Member

Aug 14, 2000
    Raleigh,...
    Short answer: no

Long answer: if you can find another HR10, it's possible. It'll have to be hacked to get a command line and change the system serial number (the "Tivo Service Number".) The encryption is based on the TSN. (Do not ask how to do either in this forum.)

(FWIW, I've tricked a S1 SA into playing shows from a dead DSR6000. I don't recommend it; that drive won't work correctly in a DSR6000 (or S1 SA) afterwards... Don't ask how I did that either. :) )

5. TyroneShoes

TyroneShoes HD evangelist

Sep 6, 2004

Advertisements

There is good news, in that the longer the writer's strike goes on the higher the likelihood of NBC being forced to rerun those eps. I think there are no new eps in the can at this point other than the one scheduled Monday, and they will need to promote the "Heroes: Origins" series scheduled for March. There are 13 weeks before that point. What better way to fill that time than by running the first 11 eps over again?

Also, you haven't missed much. Talk about a sophomore slump.

But it is annoying. I regularly back up my computer HDDs which allows me to sleep at night, but there is no valid process to back up Tivo, and few opportunites to get those shows again once their gone. And in HD? Forget it.

6. restino

restino New Member

Oct 24, 2006
    How do you do that?

7. Da Goon

Da Goon Registered Abuser

Oct 22, 2006
    You can hack the box to disable encryption before the shows are recorded, making them easily portable. Or, it *is* possible the decrypt them afterwards using a "special" kernel. ;) But you'll need the box to be running and network accessible of course.