Safe mode?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Wizard1269, May 28, 2016.

1. Wizard1269

Wizard1269 New Member

May 24, 2016
    I have a premier xl that is about 6 years old.
    When it tries to boot up I get the welcome screen and then it locks up with what look like static.
    This has happened before and then after unplugging it and replugging it a few times it worked fine.

Now it's stuck. I just bought a Bolt.

Is there any way to boot up in a "safe mode" so I can transfer or at least watch my recorded shows?
    thanks for any help!

Attached Files:

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    There is no 'safe mode.'

You cannot watch or transfer your shows unless the Tivo is fully booted and running as normal. Usually problems with it rebooting, getting stuck, indicates a failing hard drive. If you have an external drive connected, that can cause problems also.

I cannot even make out what is in the attached picture.

3. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    Could this just be a display issue? Can you see the Premiere from your Bolt or from an install of TiVo Desktop?

Scott

4. Wizard1269

Wizard1269 New Member

May 24, 2016
    No. It says communication error when I try.

5. worachj

worachj Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2006
    Eagan, MN
    Sounds like a bad power supply that you would need to fix to be able to transfer those recordings.

From Weakness.com
    http://www.weaknees.com/repair.php

Code:
    TIVO DOES NOT START UP (PART II)- TV SCREEN SHOWS SOLID BLUE, SOLID BLACK or [COLOR="Red"]SNOW[/COLOR]
    •TiVo displays a black screen, blue screen or nothing at all when the TiVo is powered on
    •Fan may or may not be spinning
    •Drive may or may not spin up

Possible Causes:
    •Bad power supply
    •Defect in chip on motherboard
    •If drive does not spin up, you can power off the unit, open the unit and disconnect the IDE drive cable, and then plug the TiVo back in (with the drive cable still disconnected). If the drive spins up with the IDE cable out, you likely need a chip repair. Contact weaKnees for repair costs.
    •If you have an HD TiVo, you might need an HDMI repair. See also our Series3 TiVo troubleshooting page.

Suggested Solutions:
    •Try a new power supply
    •Contact weaKnees for assistance and repair
    •See "No Video" below if your model is TCD140060 or TCD130040
    •Use our TiVo flat-fee repair service
    •HDMI repair

Possible Causes:
    •Bad power supply
    •Defect in chip on motherboard
    •If drive does not spin up, you can power off the unit, open the unit and disconnect the IDE drive cable, and then plug the TiVo back in (with the drive cable still disconnected). If the drive spins up with the IDE cable out, you need a chip repair. Contact weaKnees for repair costs.

Suggested Solutions:
    •Try a new power supply
    •Contact weaKnees for assistance and repair