Sad lack of ne features

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by TrackZ, Aug 17, 2016.

1. TrackZ

TrackZ Member

Jan 5, 2004
    MI

Advertisements

Seems like TiVo has really fallen off the new features with thr Bolt since updates months ago.

By now, we should have or heard about stuff like:

- HDMI 2.0a update for HDR
    - Netflix HDR streaming
    - Amazon uhd and HDR streaming
    - VUDU uhd streaming
    - YouTube uhd streaming

I've seen not chatter about these. Anyone else? Do you think we will see this stuff or has TiVo priority changed with the acquisition and such?

2. justen_m

justen_m Cheesehead TCF Club

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID
    Wouldn't this require new hardware? And isn't this a prerequisite for all the other things you mention? Or is it just for the HDR things but not UHD?

Maybe something will be mentioned in the Thursday Q&A.

3. TrackZ

TrackZ Member

Jan 5, 2004
    MI
    The box is already HDMI 2.0. Making it 2.0a should be firmware. HDMI 2.0a is required before any HDR output could be enabled.

They still have already added uhd resolutions to more than Netflix though.

4. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    Seems that the "they" is a bit confused here. Tivo does not write the apps for these third party providers any more than apple does for their environment.

Of course Tivo would like to advertise and provide these services. But, its not up to them to write such apps.

5. TrackZ

TrackZ Member

Jan 5, 2004
    MI

Advertisements

But it's their platform. They hold the ultimate responsibility to go out and evangelize and get those app features on their box. Bolt is sold as an aggregate entertainment box for broadcast and streaming focused on uhd and nothing has expanded in several months now.

My TiVo is on the chopping block in the wake of the new Xbox and HDHomeRun app that just launched. Hoping to see TiVo deliver more.

6. mikeyts

mikeyts Stream Warrior

Jul 10, 2004
    San Diego,...
    I believe that HDR10 doesn't require special hardware whereas Dolby Vision does (though I could be wrong). TiVo would be responsible for platform support; I'm sure that all of the apps use TiVo platform APIs.

7. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    You've been with Tivo long enough to know their development process is not in the "several months" kind of schedule for new features. New features have never been promised as part of the package, except OOH streaming. :)

Again, Tivo does not write the apps. They can plead and beg, and probably have been, but those other providers are under no obligation to update anything if they don't see the business need.

You may want to go to ask some questions from the VP from Tivo who is entertaining a kind of "AMA" tomorrow. Check out the coffee house for info.

8. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    App providers could not add HDR to their Bolt apps if they wanted. Only TiVo can enable that support. Unless TiVo adds HDR10 support, HDR will never be added by app providers.

9. mikeyts

mikeyts Stream Warrior

Jul 10, 2004
    San Diego,...
    BTW, YouTube has featured UHD streaming since day one. Go to the menu on the left and scroll down to BEST OF YOUTUBE and select 4K. You can also search for 4K and UHD. A search for "4K trailers" turns up some nice stuff.

The problem is that they started with 4K YouTube and 4K Netflix and there hasn't been any advancement since, nearly a year after launch.

4K VUDU has been an exclusive to Vizio UHD TVs and Roku 4 since launch, but that seems to be coming to an end. At the beginning of July they added NVIDIA Shield TV and some 2016 LG TVs to the list. A couple of months back I noticed 4K in the VUDU app, but apparently it was just a test and the feature was removed after a few days. Perhaps it'll be back soon.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2016
  10. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    TiVo uses a generic HTML5 platform via the Opera browser. It's the same basic platform/API as used for Samsung smart TVs.

11. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    Is all opera html5 or is opera the platform that can use html5?

12. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Opera is the browser they use to render the HTML5. HTML5 is generic and can be run in any modern browser.

13. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    Okay. Makes sense. Thanks.

14. mikeyts

mikeyts Stream Warrior

Jul 10, 2004
    San Diego,...
    I don't think that Netflix uses HTML5 in their embedded apps. From this Netflix technology blog article:

Their engine has to be ported to devices. When the old common Netflix UI was first ported to TiVo, I believe that it was running in the Opera platform. I don't know how any of the other major streaming apps are constructed. No other company shares details of their software development efforts as Netflix (not to mention tons of data and transaction processing code).

15. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Netflix is the only app on TiVo that's not HTML5.