SAD Initiative --- Be Heard. Become a Tivo Advisor.

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by TBoyd, Jan 21, 2011.

1. TBoyd

TBoyd Less Cable, More Cloud

Apr 9, 2000
    SF Bay...

Advertisements

I see a ‘Become a Tivo Advisor’ initiative to sign up for email surveys from Tivo when I press the Tivo button. I like the fact that Tivo continues to reach out to its customer base.

However, it’s a fool’s errand at this point in Tivo history. Tivo already KNOWS what it’s customers, and more to the point potential customers want. They’re just in such a BOX ringed by restrictive standards, unmovable content providers and aggressive competitors that it’s not possible for them to deliver.

Such outreach is just Tivo flailing around hoping that ‘ginger bread’ features (e.g. Premiere, iPad app, basic streaming functionality, social networking) will turn the tide. It’s like painting your house when it’s infected with termites. Or what’s the other metaphor, “rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic”?

I truly wish there was something that Tivo could do, and I’ll continue to be a customer until the bow slips under the waves, but asking us to tell them what we want yet AGAIN is just hoping against hope.

2. daveak

daveak Series 3 Novice

Mar 23, 2009
    Have you actually participated? So so you know what it really entails?

3. TBoyd

Apr 9, 2000
    SF Bay...
    everything has been SAID in previous surveys going back to 2007. That's my POINT. --- But spin your wheels if you like. :)

4. innocentfreak

innocentfreak Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    This is nothing new though. They have been sending these out about once a month now for years. Some times they are interesting and other times not so much.

Let's just say the $99 and $19.99 pricing option wasn't a surprise.

5. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale

Advertisements

I think once a month is exaggerating, but yeah, I've seen it several times over the years, and that reminds me, I should check if I can still answer the survey I got this week.

6. net114

net114 Tivolitic Guru

Dec 29, 2000
    florida
    I answer it, plus it enters you into a contest, so what the heck. :)

7. innocentfreak

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    Maybe not monthly but about 6-8 weeks or so.

August, October, November, January are the last 4 I got.

8. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    I have done two. The first had nothing to do with Tivo. It was about cooking shows. The second asked for actual input regarding Tivo. I enjoyed it. Really, all they need to do is read these forums if they want input.

9. smbaker

smbaker Well-Known Member

May 24, 2003
    If Tivo really wants to know what their customers want, then they could log into the Premiere forum and see what people are griping about most. The data is readily available to them. A good start would be finishing the HDUI that hasn't been worked on in 9 months and fixing the bugs that have persisted for 9 months.

10. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    That was basically my answer for the question "What should TiVo's new years resolution be?", along with updating the Netflix app.

As for "What bad habits should TiVo break in 2011?", I answered that TiVo should quit making announcements that don't live up to their hype. :D

11. ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    I tried it, but after doing 3 surveys I opted out. None of them had anything to do with TiVos or even DVRs in general. They were all just typical market research like what kind of shows you watch, how may members in your household, etc.

12. orangeboy

orangeboy yes, I AM orangeboy!

Apr 19, 2004
    East Moline, IL
    HDUI and Netflix updates were my answers, too.
    Edit: I put the stipulation "by end of first quarter" :D

I had a similar response, but more general I guess. I answered "Better communication". TiVoMargret shouldn't be the lone liaison between TiVo and the public.

13. mrsean

mrsean Active Member

May 15, 2006
    New Jersey
    Those were my responses as well. I just added for them to fix the crappy Youtube interface.

I said the same, but also the Tivo representatives should be more present here and on Tivo.com. There is a lot of misinformation that gets spouted out that can only be corrected by someone with insider knowledge. Tivo should be actively enagaging customers concerns instead of leaving it up to just the user community.

I also said that Tivo needs to be less secretive in regards to service updates. I believe that we would see a lot less complaining in the forums if Tivo actually announced what bug/interfaces-fixes that they are actively working on.

14. jrm01

jrm01 New Member

Oct 17, 2003
    Pittsburgh

15. JohnnyCruzr

JohnnyCruzr New Member

Mar 19, 2009
    Sierra...
    I also answered "Finish HD interface on the Premier" as the resolution, so maybe they will get the point.

For what bad habits should be stopped, I simply answered "Tom Rogers":D

16. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    I disagree with the OP that this is any kind "flailing" the fact that the survey and panel even exist is a point in Tivo's favor, they are indeed trying, and they are aware.

However you have to keep in mind they are also a business, and there comes a point where some businesses do internally accept that by giving crappier customer service at a significantly lower cost to them, the number of customer leaving because of it is not significant enough.

I know this from having worked for a company that outsourced customer service to an offshore company for not even pennies on the dollar, the cost savings were huge, and ticking off a small percentage of customers was viewed as an acceptable cost.

Diane

17. TBoyd

Apr 9, 2000
    SF Bay...
    Re: indeed they are trying -- You miss the point entirely. The fact is they’ve KNOWN the fundamental issues obstructing their success for years, but continue to add ‘gingerbread’ (e.g. new HD UI) in hopes that such new features will save them. THIS is the ‘Titanic’ metaphor writ large!

They continue to survey the base in hopes of discovering a ‘magic bullet’. They only do this because they cannot fix the fundamental obstacles placed in their path by Standards, content providers and last mile providers.

Their business model is at an end and they refuse to enter the endgame of selling themselves to someone that may be able to make something of their IP in another product or service.

I agree somewhat with the ‘lower cost’ argument, but that is only a delaying tactic not a long term winning strategy in TiVo’s case.

18. wickerbill

wickerbill Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Tulsa, OK
    There's no standards body preventing them from streaming instead of copying on MRV, which would allow them to bypass some of the roadblocks put up by content providers. They just don't care enough to put the resources forward to change it. Also nobody preventing them from making the premiere work much better other than themselves. I'm sure they already know they need to do both of these things, but for some reason have decided it's not worth doing.

19. innocentfreak

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    Actually up until now from everything I have read, the Premiere has been the first TiVo that could support streaming HD shows.

Keep in mind if smart, TiVo would want to add streaming where it doesn't interfere with other actions. This means unless you disable or block certain features during streaming, the TiVo would need to be able to play one show, while recording 2, transfer a program, and send a stream while receiving a stream. Now potentially they could setup a queuing system where MRV is blocked while streaming, but this also raises other issues.

20. orangeboy

orangeboy yes, I AM orangeboy!

Apr 19, 2004
    East Moline, IL
    Are you aware of whether your "gingerbread" features were part of the Advisory Board's surveys?