SA8300 (NOT HD) and TiVo

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by megory, Jul 13, 2007.

1. megory

megory Advanced TiVoOligan

Jan 22, 2003
    Spectrum,...

Advertisements

Does anyone here have their TiVo connected to a SA8300 (analog DVR)? How do you view your old recordings on the SA8300? What experiences have you had with recording on it . . . on TiVo?

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=358674

Thanks!

2. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    There's really no need to start another thread on the same subject.

The same members of TCF look at all of the forums (or at least many of them).

3. TooVoo

TooVoo New Member

Jul 14, 2007
    I'm interested in this too. Doesn't anyone have Tivo and a 8300 recorder?

4. GoHokies!

GoHokies! O2->CO2 Converter

Sep 21, 2005
    KFME
    Yes, and they're discussing it over in the thread that was created in the right place, helpfully linked to above.

5. TooVoo

TooVoo New Member

Jul 14, 2007

Advertisements

Nope. No recent discussion. Can't find this topic discussed in search. Sorry to offend you.

6. GoHokies!

Sep 21, 2005
    KFME
    You don't have to use the search.

Try reading the first post in this thread and clicking on the link.

7. TooVoo

TooVoo New Member

Jul 14, 2007
    If I wanted to again go to the link associate with this thread, that is what I would have done <g> and have done. I was telling you that I was searching for information about using tivo and cable recorder and couldn't find anything helpful.

You are the first person I've seen who didn't say "search!" But that is for another thread for a different forum.

Right now, I'd like to stay on-topic and get information about tivo and cable recorders.

8. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    Okay, I added something to that other thread.

9. GoHokies!

Sep 21, 2005
    KFME
    In that case, what information are you looking for that isn't covered in the other thread that you can't ask about in that thread?

10. TooVoo

TooVoo New Member

Jul 14, 2007
    Why not keep this thread about Tivo and cable boxes and how to view them both, and have people who do this regularly have a chance to discuss this instead of having people who don't have similar equipment guessing.

And prevent going off on tangents in order to build up number of post stats!

11. GoHokies!

Sep 21, 2005
    KFME
    If you have a question ask it, I'm sure someone else will be glad to help you.

You're the one going off on tangents talking about searching and worthless post counts.

12. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    Because you're not asking about "Tivo and cable boxes" you're asking about daisy chaining DVRs; and for the life of me I am mystified as to why someone would daisy chain 2 DVRs (and others have mentioned the same confusion) All it does is make things horribly complicated and serves no positive purpose that I can ascertain.

thus IMNSHO this thread has no purpose and should die a quick death.

(of course I'm not helping, my apologies to all)

Diane

13. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    The Helpful advice has already been given in both threads. Don't daisy chain two DVRs but use them side by side instead. If you TV has only one set of useable inputs then get a video switch so you can select which DVR to view.

having two threads will not change this and just serves to annoy the people you are asking to provide the information you search for. Seems like an unproductive way to use the forum to me.

14. TooVoo

TooVoo New Member

Jul 14, 2007
    Whatever Daisy Chaining means, I don't know. My Tivo is setup according to the Tivo instructions.

I intend to take the Cable DVR back if my wife will let me lose her recordings.

I'm new to this forum and didn't know I was only allowed to respond to one topic! Other forums I belong to permit people to respond to numerous topics. But then again, other forums require posts to be on-topic and relevant, as your post is.

From the reading and reserach I have done on this forum, it seems irrelevant posts are frequent, especially to ridicule new members. I figure the generic and frequent rudeness to newbies is part of the initiation.

I probably won't be able to pass through the rites of passage.

15. dianebrat

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    Daisy Chain

The Tivo instructions have never said "hook our Tivo DVR into the back of the cable company DVR" I'm not going to continue the help process over here.

You should follow the thread over in the Help forum where it's appropriate. Not over here in the "let's all just talk about Tivo" forum

Diane

16. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    one of the problems we have in this forum is the amount of noise over the same questions being asked again and again. The hope is that the same topic does not come up in multiple threads/multiple forums as that just increases the amount of noise.
    now your question is not one that comes up constantly but there is an existing thread that relates to the info you want. ideally you would post in that thread instead of this one the OP started after not getting his desired answer in the first thread.
    See Dianebrat post as regards daisy chaining and your question.

and welcome to the forum, it can get tough but a lot of that is due to the amount of posters who sign up just to knock TiVo or mess with the forum as their agenda. Unfortunately enough of that has occurred lately that "strangers" are just not trusted round these parts. My apologies for that affecting your experience here.

17. TooVoo

TooVoo New Member

Jul 14, 2007
    Zeo, you're right, there is little on this subject. I see you trying to be helpful but I think I'm on my own. The OP seems to have vanished. I'll probably do the same.

18. dianebrat

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    There's "little on the subject" because you shouldn't be doing what the OP posted.

Why don't you just take a step back, assess what your problems and questions are, and post it over in the Tivo Help forum http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=4

However in reading your last post there, it's not clear if you still have a problem or what it is. (nor is it clear from following this thread)

We're a friendly bunch, but give us some meat on the issue so we can actually help. You're being lumped in with the OP because you said "me too!" when it's sounding like you may not have the situation the OP has.

The OP on this thread has some misunderstandings on what they're trying to do and how to do it, so if you work on seperating your problem from theirs, and don't get led astray by their logic and trouble shooting, you might fix it.

Maybe you should just clarify things with a summary in the other thread.

There's enough info in both threads that you should be able to follow where everyone is pointing you, and what the correct hookups are.

But once again, this isn't the right place to ask for help, the other forum at Tivo Help Forum is

Diane

19. dianebrat

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    I give up, TooVoo has made it very clear in a private email that they have apparently taken offense at my contributions to the thread.

*insert tossing in of towel*

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make them drink....

20. GoHokies!

Sep 21, 2005
    KFME
    Wow, I wasn't even lucky enough to get one of those, I must be slipping!

Apparently "follow the rules" is too hard for some people and they take offense when people expect them to follow the same rules that everyone else has to follow. :rolleyes:

So long, TooVoo, we hardly knew ye.