SA TIVO controlling DTIVO - anyone done it?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by the_scotsman, Jan 9, 2006.

1. the_scotsman

the_scotsman Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Dallas TX

Advertisements

I originally took advantage of the Best Buy coupons and acquired a Toshiba RS-TX20 for $99 to transfer kids programs recorder from my DTivo to the DVD Tivo and burn them to DVD.

Well, that turned out not to be possible due to the hacks (prom) necessary to enable MRV compatibility with the DTIVOs and the probability that I may still not be able to burn them due to the "different" file formats.

Up until now I've been doing the record manually thing but, while it has the advantages of trimming the programs, it is very time consuming.

So, I though I'd try and hookup the RS-TX20 to control a DTivo and do the recording (and labeling) automatically. Went through the program guide setup, selected the source as Directv, and selected control via IR.

However, I've tried several Sat box vendors (including TIVO, Hughes, and Philips - using a DSR-708) and tried setting the DTivo to different IR codes (including 0 & 1) but failed to have the RS-TX20 change channels :( . I also tried 3 different types of IR blasters and confirmed their operation via a video camera.

Anyone else been successful with this type of setup?

Thanks

Paul

2. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    Doesn't work. Stop trying.

3. nhaigh

nhaigh Member

Jul 16, 2001
    Lawrencevill...
    I'd like it to be able to do this as well. Shame it can't.

I did think that if I used a SA set up as if it was to work with a SAT receiver in order or the guide to update correctly, then if I set both the DirecTiVo and the SA with the same SP's then the DirecTiVo would turn over when the SA tried to turn it over (and if the SA had no IR plugged it how would it know it didn't do it). I'd need to disable one of the tuners in the DirecTiVo so the channel displayed would be the one being recorded. So who can see a problem with this arrangement?

4. ebonovic

ebonovic has gone his way...

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...
    It will work... but why?

Just so you could get networking options?
    There are a lot of other "semi-easier" methods to get what you want, (and cheaper then paying lifetime on that SA-TiVo or $13 a month)

Plus you forgo the dual tuners on your DTivo, as well as result in lower quality recordings on that SA?

It will work, but I think you are trying to build a mountain there when a mole hill will work.

5. the_scotsman

the_scotsman Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Dallas TX

Advertisements

Bummer :(

I also though of the method that nhaigh suggested. It's more of a kludge but should work. However, I don't want to loose a tuner so my work around would be to have the tivo record two programs on the same channel with an overlap thus forcing both tuners to the channel I need. Need to make sure that there are no other recordings on other channels for the same period and that suggestions are turned off (they usually are).

It's a pity I can't do it the "correct" way. Even more so that "TIVO" is listed a sat receiver.

Thanks for the responses.

Paul

6. the_scotsman

the_scotsman Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Dallas TX

Yes, there are other methods of doing this using a hacked DTivo but they to are somewhat time consuming and sometimes the results are less than ok. I have tried this in the past using a hack T-60 and the re-encoding results have been horrible for the programs I was interested in. Could have been me or perhaps the tools at that time - don't know.

The RS-TX80 comes with free basic Tivo so no additional cost after the purchase.

If the MRV had of been possible then I would have bought the lifetime and the I would also of had a backup unit for those stormy days when the sat signal gets lost. Of course I can still use it as a backup right now but I don't have season passes etc to do it automatically.

Paul