SA Series 2 with DirectTV

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by ducker, Aug 1, 2007.

1. Aug 1, 2007 #1 of 33
    ducker

ducker New Member

Feb 21, 2006
    MA

Advertisements

I have a S2 SA with lifetime (hense why I don't want to go with any other type of receiver)

I'm currently running just expanded basic cable with Comcast, but I'm thinking about changing over to Satellite.

I like how I can be able to Tivo 1 show and watch another (simply by splitting my coax connection, having 1 go directly to the TV and the other to the Tivo)

would I be able to do this with a standard DirectTV receiver??? I think I would have to have 2 receivers for the one TV.

But I think this is completely possible. (especially since we really only watch TV in 2 rooms and Direct TV will supply up to 4 receivers)

Looking for comments.. thanks!

2. Aug 1, 2007 #2 of 33
    John T Smith

John T Smith New Member

Jun 17, 2004
    Vancouver WA
  3. Aug 1, 2007 #3 of 33
    cygnusx72

cygnusx72 New Member

Jul 25, 2007
    Ducker,
    I'm no expert but from all my reading you would need 2 DTV standard receivers connected to your tivo box. However the tivo box wont be able to control the DTV receivers. Certainly not both if 1 at all. If you dont mind that then it could work out for you. But keep in mind the standard recievers dont have displays so you wont be able to change the channel on say the 2nd tuner for a show thats coming up. Well sure you could but would hate it if it didnt take your remote entry.

Good luck!

4. Aug 1, 2007 #4 of 33
    ducker

ducker New Member

Feb 21, 2006
    MA

well in using a multi switch I then could feed those those to TWO standard receivers and them from those 2 standard receivers go to my TV, effectivly allowing me to record 1 channel, and watch a different program at the same time If I wanted to.

at least that's what it sounds like I could do...

5. Aug 1, 2007 #5 of 33
    JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY

Advertisements

The emboldened quote is totally wrong. A standalone TiVo can control a DirecTV receiver just as it does a cable box. As stated, you need two receivers, one for the TiVo and another for the live TV watching. You'll just have to make sure the two receivers have their remotes set to different addresses so they won't respond to the other remote.

6. Aug 1, 2007 #6 of 33
    ducker

ducker New Member

Feb 21, 2006
    MA

sweet, so it IS doable... sorry, I read the faq and I'm still feeling like a total direct TV newbie.

But I figured 1 receiver = dedicated channel... they (direct tv) say they will install 4 receivers... I figured I could put 2 receivers on 1 TV so I can "effectively" watch 1 channel and Tivo the other.

7. Aug 1, 2007 #7 of 33
    JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    I do believe you've got it. :)

You may eventually decide to get a DirecTV DVR to supplement your SA TiVo. In fact as part of the new install you should think about getting one now, possibly free with a 2 yr committment. However, what they supply won't be TiVo based (the R15).

8. Aug 1, 2007 #8 of 33
    ducker

ducker New Member

Feb 21, 2006
    MA
    Yes, and I think that might drive me insane if it's not Tivo based, and it will cost me additional monthly costs. (lame) especially if I'm not really using their system!

9. Aug 1, 2007 #9 of 33
    ducker

ducker New Member

Feb 21, 2006
    MA
    what's the best way of knowing what type of receiver they will supply??? I'm guessing not simply filling out the online forms and setting it all up online...

Which one do I want??? what do I NOT want?? I have a full receiver, that I'd like to hook up to it and at least have dolby surround sound...

10. wolflord11

wolflord11 Lord of Darkness

Jan 16, 2007
    Madisonville...
    Directv will provide you with what they currently have in Inventory:

Standard Receiver: D11 (or D12). The D11's are being used up as the D12 becomes the New Standard.

DVR Unit: R15 (Non Tivo)

HD Receiver: H20.

HD DVR Unit: HR20 (Non Tivo) Soon being replaced by the HR21.

11. ducker

ducker New Member

Feb 21, 2006
    MA
    Ah... so - if I want improved audio, I need to go with a HD Receiver... otherwise I'm out of luck. or the DVR unit.... sigh.. so frustrating.

I don't really see the major differences between the D11 and D12's.

12. wolflord11

wolflord11 Lord of Darkness

Jan 16, 2007
    Madisonville...
    There is a vast difference between the D11 and D12 units. Go over the the DBS Forums and read up.

DBSForums

What do you mean by improved Audio? All Directv units support Dolby Sound.

The Best way for improved sound is using a Decent Receiver/Home theater Setup :D

13. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    Yes, you can do that with DirecTV. I do that with my satellite provider (Starchoice).

14. ducker

ducker New Member

Feb 21, 2006
    MA
    Yea I have a nice receiver and setup (I never use the speakers on my TV anymore)

Improved audio... like coax (spdif) or optical from the direct tv receiver to my audio receiver.
    Looks like the standard lvl of direct tv receivers support only Stereo audio.
    And I'd have to upgrade up to the HD or DirectTivo receiver to get the improved audio.

15. Billy Bob Boy

Billy Bob Boy What Me Worry???????

Jul 25, 2004
    Here
    Ducker since all your recievers will be leased I don t know if someone said this but At Circuit city you can get a Directivo which can record 2 channels. You can use the Directivo with your stand alone at the same location w a multi swich instead of a second D reciever.

16. Billy Bob Boy

Jul 25, 2004
    Here
    Here is an alternative to a second D* reciever. http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Sams.../sem/rpsm/oid/89307/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do get yourself a 4 way output switch and hook up the directivo and the s/a to the tv. For only 77 dollars you can record 3 shows and watch a 4 on either the S/A Ort the Directivo. BTW It is the same dvr fee if you get an r15 or directivo so might as well be a directivo.

17. ducker

ducker New Member

Feb 21, 2006
    MA
    I'd be all set with just that 1 unit, if it has two tuners in it (I don't need 3+ on that TV)

So... My initial outlay of cash would be $77 for that receiver, and then I would have to pay an additional $4.99 for the second satellite feed to this receiver.

I hate how it only has a 35hr capacity... are those upgradable like my SA series 2?
    (which I've put a 250gig hd in and love it... I could never go back to 35 hrs!)

Thanks for the input!

18. Billy Bob Boy

Jul 25, 2004
    Here
    No actualy If it is the only recievr on the account it is free but you would pay the 5.99 dvr fee. If you have only one reciever there is no additional reciver fee. Now if you use the S/A somewhere else than it would be asecond fee. One thing It is leased so I dont know about increasing the capacity. If you do dont make any physical changes to the box it self and KEEP the origional drive someplace safe. And Who knows in 6 months D* Could change the lease policy back to owned.( Not likely but possible)

Just so you know the lifetime on the S/A has nothing to do with the Directv dvr fee. But it is worth it to be able to record 2 shows and watch a third recorded show. BTW You can bump up the drive but i would not go further than a single drive increase as the dual drive increase requires you to alter the box. But since there are 1 TB Single drives. :) I dont think the directivos can handle anything above a 500 gig :(

19. ducker

ducker New Member

Feb 21, 2006
    MA
    Can you use that DVR with Tivo2go? and transfer shows to other Tivo units?

So, If I got that receiver at circuit city - signed up. I could have that duel receiver on my main TV, and then put my old SA tivo unit on the 2nd DirectTV receiver in another room by itself.

I'd be looking at paying the same cost as renting 3 receivers... but would have to pay an additional $77 up front cost.

So, the big question, is getting confirmation that I can in fact upgrade this unit with another hard drive. Heck, I might even take the old out out of my SA series 2 and put it in there.

oh and of course I'd keep the original drive, I have my original SA series 2, stored as well. Just in case, you never know!

Thanks for all the help everyone!

20. TonyTheTiger

TonyTheTiger Pro Troll Magnet

Dec 22, 2006
    TiVo2Go - no. It's not an option with the DirecTV box. However, there are mods you can do to add several TiVo features. Take a look at the TiVoUnderground forum on this board for the Zipper.

The Samsung only counts as ONE receiver, so if you had that on your main TV and a second receiver in the bedroom, it would onlly be a total of TWO receivers ($4.99 extra). However, the Samsung would incur a DVR fee of $5.99/Mo, which covers ALL DirecTV DVRs on your account, so you could get a second one for the bedroom at no extra subscription cost.

And yes, I can confirm that you CAN upgrade the hard drive in the Samsung (or any other D* DVR).