S3 Yahoo and movie reels not working

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by dorktivo, Sep 22, 2006.

1. dorktivo

dorktivo New Member

Jul 2, 2002

Advertisements

I just got off the phone with Tivo who tells me that it should work, but it doesn't. Their last suggestion was that perhaps my isp (comcast) is blocking access to yahoo. Right.

If I select any of the three yahoo apps, I get "Can't Run. An error occured while running the application. Could not open URL." I get the same error on the little movie reel icon things. Live365 radio works fine, I can stream photos/music from my desktop, the Nikon photo stuff works, all the games work, just not yahoo or the little movie reel things. I am never prompted for user/pass information for Yahoo, it errors within seconds.

I have now done a network capture to see what the box is sending out to the internet: it makes no connection to yahoo at all, all outbound connections are to 204.176.49.116 on port 7288. This ip reverses to sjweb02.tivo.com, but that name doesn't forward to any ip address.

I believe the Tivo is phoning home to see if I have this feature enabled on my unit and for whatever reason, Tivo must be saying to go away. I have a series 2 and a series 3 unit, perhaps that is the cause of the confusion.

Any help? Bueller?

2. Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    The problem I have with the Yahoo apps is that it does not remember my log in information.

3. timdorr

timdorr New Member

Sep 16, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    My problem is that any application freezes up after about 2 minutes of use. I'm trying to enter in my Yahoo! ID and it doesn't give me enough time :rolleyes:

4. dorktivo

dorktivo New Member

Jul 2, 2002
    I encourage everyone with the problem to notify Tivo. Call their tech support and tell them what is not working: 1-877-367-8486.

The woman on the phone with me seemed to indicate it was the first she'd heard of the problem; so, people should let Tivo know what is wrong.

5. johnsom

johnsom New Member

May 30, 2001
    Oregon

Advertisements

Galleon works fine, live365 works, podcaster works, the games work, and Nikon: Legends work all work.

However, the video clips, Yahoo services, and Movie tickets do not work.

It shows "Can't Run" "An error occurred while running the application. Could not open url."

This all works fine on my series 2 box.

6. Motaki

Motaki New Member

Mar 28, 2004
    Same problem - just set up 2 Series 3 boxes and 1 Series 2 box. Works fine on the Series 2 but "Can't Run" on the both Series 3's.

7. dorktivo

dorktivo New Member

Jul 2, 2002
    Bug Tivo about the problem. The more people who call, the sooner they'll realize it isn't just some user who doesn't know how to setup their home network.

Bug, bug, bug...

8. alee

alee Member

Mar 24, 2002
    New York, NY
    Same issue here. Will escalate to TiVo.

9. montivette

montivette Member

Sep 7, 2006
    Minnesota
    Add me to the list of people with issues. I can't get any of those items to run except for my own music and pictures. The rest result in nothing occurring other than the unit being locked up for several minutes before it kicks back to live TV or an error message.

10. cschamp

cschamp New Member

Sep 21, 2006
    Sunnyvale,...
    I have the same problem with it. (I haven't yet contacted TiVo about it. I suppose I should do so soon.)

11. DocSavag

DocSavag New Member

Feb 18, 2006
    For Me:

Not working: Yahoo! Photos, Yahoo! Weather, Yahoo! Traffic, and Browse and Buy Movie tickets.

Working: Live365, Podcaster, SameGame and Wordsmith

I haven't reported it yet because I just haven't gotten around to it and they aren't servicdes I use on a regular basis anway.

12. Bierboy

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    Agreed...I haven't contacted them either since I don't use Yahoo services much at all. I suppose I was cutting them some slack in the CS department after the shipping fiasco. But, I guess this would actually be tech support, wouldn't it?

13. keng

keng New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    I, too, get the same error message on both my S3's ("Can't Run. An error occured while running the application. Could not open URL."). TiVo tech support said that a port is blocked. However, when I mentioned that I access my office via a VPN, he all but hung up on me, saying "You're on your own". Since I don't block any ports in my router, I'm sure that's not the problem. We'll have to wait unit Yahoo realizes that they're not getting the traffic that they're paying TiVo for - then it will get fixed.

14. IPingUPing

IPingUPing New Member

Sep 28, 2002
    Smyrna, GA
    I have my S3 conected via ethernet to a router and into my cable modem, just tried Y! Photos and Traffic this morning. No issues for me and I even found some photos I forgot I had! :)

Edit: Except for the fact I need to log in every time. Podcasts work OK too, just tested that.

15. DocSavag

DocSavag New Member

Feb 18, 2006
    The blocked port idea would be a great troubleshooting idea except that many of us who can't get it to work on the S3 have it working just fine on S2 boxes in the same network! *sigh*

16. Bierboy

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    Then YES, you have an issue!
    Exactly...that's what is frustrating.

17. TexasGrillChef

TexasGrillChef New Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Yes same problem here too... Yahoo & movies & fandango don't work.
    I thought it might be a problem with PORTS on my router.. but I bypassed the router for testing. It connected to tivo withotu a problem.. but still no connection to the Apps.

Tivo said it was YAHOO's problem

TexasGrillChef

18. montivette

montivette Member

Sep 7, 2006
    Minnesota
    Well today I got into the Yahoo Traffic and Yahoo weather apps for the first time. I do not have an account so I clicked to view without an account. I get to the next screen, and at best can use the remote to put input two numbers before it locks up. I can also see the menu below with numbers and letters but I can not get down to that area, and about the time the 2nd digit I type goes in, the app locks up and nothing occurs. Lucky though if I hit Live TV it bails out of there.

Probably not related but I got that far after installing and playing around with Galleon for a bit.

19. cit1991

cit1991 New Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Yahoo traffic worked for a couple minutes on mine, then locked it up. I had to pull the plug to reset it.

20. subspace100

subspace100 New Member

Oct 31, 2003
    Lynnwood, WA
    Same here...