S3 with a Slingbox Pro...

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by EVizzle, Sep 3, 2007.

1. Sep 3, 2007 #1 of 42
    EVizzle

EVizzle ^^MacGvyer^^

Feb 13, 2005
    St. Paul, MN
    Does anyone else have a Slingbox Pro attached to their S3? I just attached the Tivo to the Slingbox and when running the setup, I had to identify the box, and S3 or THD was not on it. I can manually choose the IR code if I choose "other Tivo" but haven't been able to get the right one. I have picture and sound but no controls because of these two issues.

1). Does anyone know what IR code I need, and
    2). Where exactly on the S3's display is the IR sensor so I can place the IR blaster appropriately?

2. Sep 3, 2007 #2 of 42
    A J Ricaud

A J Ricaud Active Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Hacienda...
    I have a "Pro" controlling 2 S3's and a TWC DVR. The trick is getting the IR blaster positioned properly. I have them placed on the top of the S3's, aimed approx. in the center, btwn. the clock display and the controls on the rt. The blasters hang over the top by about 1" or so--doesn't look so hot but they work. BTW, I am using the 4 port IR blasters that come w/the optional HD component cable set-up.

Also, make sure that you know what IR code the S3 is using (it's in "System Information" in case you didn't already know that) and use the Slingbox's Tivo set-up option that lists the individual IR codes.

3. Sep 3, 2007 #3 of 42
    sfhub

sfhub Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2007
    If you just want to control a single series3, download and install this update:
    http://us.slingmedia.com/object/KB-005364.html

If you need to control multiple s3 units, I suggest downloading these device files. They fix the "Clear" and "Aspect" buttons which don't work when you use S2 multi-unit support to control your S3.

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=4804

4. Sep 3, 2007 #4 of 42
    EVizzle

EVizzle ^^MacGvyer^^

Feb 13, 2005
    St. Paul, MN
    Thanks a lot guys, the info is being put to use right now!

5. normychas

normychas Member

May 10, 2007
    i have a tivo hd. Is there any real difference between throwing a slingbox av vs a slinbox pro since im just going to be streaming it anyhow? Can't i just use the s video out on my tivo hd to display a signal for the slinbox av? What setups do people have working?

6. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    Yes, the only real advantage of the pro is you can control multiple devices instead of just 1. The S-video output from S3/THD to the av box works just fine and if that's the only box you want to sling then the av is just fine. I feed S3 S-video to a Slingbox AV and it works pretty well. I'm not overly impressed with Slingbox technology however as the video quality is so, so and there are occasional hiccups in the video feed (this is with a 512Kbps WAN upstream limit for my cable modem). Even on the LAN the video quality is not very impressive. I use it mostly for managing S3 away from home not for any serious TV watching.

7. rodalpho

rodalpho New Member

Sep 12, 2006
    I love my slingbox. Go for it. But the official slingbox S3 remote has a lot of problems. I couldn't get the aspect function hotkeyed, and the tivo main menu button is configured wrong. I submitted this as a bug several months ago and got responses from Sling, but they haven't fixed it. Personally I use the directivo remote, which is fully mappable.

On the tivo S3 and presumably the HD, there is no advantage to the component cables. The S3 outputs anamorphically correct 480i over s-video, so there's no space wasted. So if you only need one input, you can save some money and get the slingbox AV.

I had exactly the opposite experience. LAN quality is fantastic, outputting full quality 480i 640x480 video. But my LAN isn't wireless, so that may impact it. Remote viewing directly depends upon your upload speed; 512kb should be watchable but not too great.

8. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    Just curious - how do you find out what the video resolution is of the Sling stream (in real time not going by specs)?

9. rodalpho

rodalpho New Member

Sep 12, 2006
    You can't measure it realtime, but the 640x480 looks significantly better than the 320x240 you get remotely or the LAN resolution of 640x240 offered by the old slingbox classic. It's incredibly sharp.

10. d_anders

d_anders Sr Legacy Member

Oct 12, 2000
    Twin Cities...
    The other advantage of the Pro (besides utlizing multiple devices or inputs (huge), is that you can also get a component based add-on cable (extra charge) to stream HD. This of course raises the need to have more available bandwidth on your lan, and also more upload capability than the basic stream. I don't have this cable yet, because most of my viewing is from a laptop when travelling.

This said, the quality image received from the Slingbox is almost completely dependent on the quality of your LAN. Even with the basic stream.

I highly recommended a "wired" connection for the sling box or utilize the new powerline ethernet capabilities... and in addition, for remote internet based viewing the your cable/dsl upload quality needs to be 512K or better.

If you're a regular traveler and are going to use it a lot, upgrading your dsl/cable modem bandwith is almost essential (Comcast offers faster downloads and uploads for $10 additional a month).

Even after all this, the comments on the video quality are dead-on. It's adequate for remote viewing outside the home....and is only at it's best (but not perfect) within your own home network.

11. montivette

montivette Member

Sep 7, 2006
    Minnesota
    I thought I would clarify for the potential buyers of the Slingbox Pro you can not sling HD content with a Slingbox Pro. Using the component cable perhaps gives you a higher quality of input signal, but it will not sling in actual HD quality. It will down res the video to 640x480.

More info on advantages/limitations of the HD Connect dongle:
    http://www.slingcommunity.com/article/15267/

12. rodalpho

rodalpho New Member

Sep 12, 2006
    I specifically covered this earlier in the thread. The component addon for the slingbox pro offers no quality advantages for TiVo S3 users. And presumably TiVo HD users too.

The only advantage is it offers a fourth input.

13. miller890

miller890 Member

Feb 15, 2002
    What TCP ports does Slingbox Pro use? Can you access the GUI remotely through most corporate firewalls?

14. alansplace

alansplace ------ Alan ------

Apr 30, 2006
    Southern...
    i have 2 TiVo HDs and sling them both (in SD) from my slingbox classic. one is hooked up with s-video and the other also with with s-video but through an rf modulator. works just fine.
    --
    Alan

15. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    Yes I agree. I specifically researched about this before deciding on which Slingbox to buy. If indeed the Slingbox Pro could offer higher transcoded resolution (on the LAN) from HD component inputs then that would be a clear advantage. As it is the only difference is from HD component input the transcoded video starts out at a higher resolution than an S-video input, but the output resolution and bitrate is the same and from most accounts I saw the resulting difference in output quality was not discernible. While there may be a slight improvement it's certainly not worth the extra cost of the Pro plus the "HD cable" if you only have plans to Sling one box.

Also based on my research if my prime use was going to be using it on LAN then Hava seems to do a better job than Slingbox, while Slingbox supposedly is much better via WAN.

16. rodalpho

rodalpho New Member

Sep 12, 2006
    The video doesn't start at a higher resolution over component. It's just 480p instead of 480i.

Component 720p is progressive-scan, so it doesn't have to be deinterlaced before being transmitted by your slingbox. Alternatively, you can use the TiVo's deinterlacer, fully in the digital domain, instead of the slingbox's. But there's no indication that this actually impacts video quality either way, and 480i and 1080i are both interlaced anyway.

In much the same way, video needs to be downressed from 1080i/720p to 480. So you have the choice between the tivo downressing to 480i fully in the digital domain or the slingbox downressing the analog input 720p to 480p, or 1080i to 480i and then deinterlacing to 480p, after converting it back to digital.

But most importantly of all, both s-video and component inputs look identical.

17. d_anders

Oct 12, 2000
    Twin Cities...
    Wow, thanks for this info and the correction! Now I'm really glad that I didn't buy the cable....that's certainly misleading....good to know that if I'm really in a pinch for a 4th connection that I have that option overall.

18. rodalpho

rodalpho New Member

Sep 12, 2006
    It's not inherently a crappy accessory, if you have a cable STB that doesn't output anamorphic s-video the component cables do provide an effectively higher resolution by not transmitting the black boxes. Or if your STB doesn't output to both HD and SD outputs simultaneously, it's good for that too, because it's also a pass-thru. But neither applies to TiVo.

19. d_anders

Oct 12, 2000
    Twin Cities...
    Any word on whether direct support for the hdmi input will ever be supported? Proabably all about getting the approval to do the HDCP handshake? Since it down rez's the video anyway, it wouldn't necesarily be in violation?

Would certainly eliminate the need for the cable (at least in my cirumstance; also reduce the need for the number of cables).

20. sfhub

sfhub Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2007
    There is no HDMI input on the Slingbox Pro. The form factor of the connector looks like HDMI, but that is where the similarities end. It only accepts component input.